Chemical Ali
Freathy
pepsipete
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Thought I would give you the pleasure of an early match preview because I know how much you all love my writing .

Plymouth Argyle head into their next game at Crewe Alexandra looking for their first win of 2012, while the home side also have not been able to get of the mark this year.

Both sides had home fixtures on Monday and were unable to claim points. The Pilgrims went down 2 1 in a match against rivals Torquay United. Bodin opened the scoring for Torquay on 58 minutes then the Argyle defence gifted Torquay a 2 goal cushion, Mansell slotting home 5 minutes later, Luke Young scored his first goal in a green shirt with 18 minutes remaining but despite some sustained pressure, Argyle were not able to find a goal to level things up. Crewe also had a tough home fixture against Morecambe at Gresty Road, a goal on the half hour from Ellison put Morecambe into the driving seat and Crewe were not able to get a grip in a game barren of any real excitement.

2011 was a woeful year for the Pilgrims, Argyle found themselves in administration and were deducted points which sent them to the bottom, Peter Reid was unable to turn around the sinking ship and Argyle were relegated from League 1. Its been no better for Argyle in League 2 either, a makeshift team was put together to compete and failed to deliver, Reid was sacked and replaced by captain Carl Fletcher. Argyle have since come out of administration and have begun to show steady progress in the league, however have only been off bottom for 1 week.

Crewe haven't had the best of seasons but have shown recent progress. When the greens faced them at Home Park in August, the railwaymen were second from bottom, but have climbed the table since and ended up 15th, 12 points above Plymouth Argyle. Veteran manager Dario Gradi recently stepped down from his position and made way for Steve Davis.

Argyle have reason to be positive heading into the match, after Nick Chadwick signed an 18th month deal (until the summer of 2013) with the club on wednesday. 'Chadders' has played 6 games for the greens on loan and scored 3 goals, impressing the green army and striking up a good partnership with veteran Warren Feeney. However the set back is that Nick Chadwick picked up a hamstring injury during the derby match on Monday and will not be able to feature against Crewe. However a positive for Argyle is that experienced centre back Darren Purse returns to the side from a 3 match ban (sent off against Hereford United) and it is likely that he will replace natural RB Paul Bignot who has been filling in in that position. Apart from Nick Chadwick the greens look to be able to field any side they see fit, manager Carl Fletcher is once again unlikely to select himself and assistant Romain Larrieu will once again make way for Jake Cole. The former Barnet keeper has been in good form recently and saved a penalty at Aldershot last week.

Crewe dont appear to have many injury concerns going into the match, however their home form continues to be a major worry for Davis's men. Crewe struggle to score goals on their own patch and have only claimed 4 points out of a possible 18 in recent home matches. Crewe's 20 year old Harry Davis said in the press this week that away teams frustrate the Railwaymen when they come to the Alexandra stadium with defensive tactics (something they might have to deal with against the Pilgrims with Purse back in the side). Steve Davis has a few decisions to make with regards his team, left winger Fletcher has recently returned from injury but is it worth risking him so soon back and taking Leitch-Smith out of the side? The only slight injury concern is over striker Powell who was replaced on monday after 46 minutes, if he is unable to feature its likely Clayton will take his place.

HEAD TO HEAD: The managers

Carl Fletcher took over at Argyle on the 19th of September after the sacking of Peter Reid. After 2 wins in 7 matches Carl was appointed on a perm basis. PAFC are the first club Fletcher has managed after a long career as a player (mainly CM). The 34 year old has played for Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Crystal Palace and Notingham Forest. Fletcher joined Argyle on loan from Crystal Palace, when his contract at Palace ended later that season, he signed a 2 year deal for the Pilgrims.

Steve Davis (46) has been a football manager since 2003. The Birmingham born former player enjoyed a long career as a defender. Davis mostly played in non league and managing Crewe is the first taste hes had of league football in a while. He came up through the ranks at Stoke but failed to get a game. He joined Crewe in 1983 and made 145 apps, since then he has played for Burnley, Barnsley, York, Oxford, Macclesfield, Northwich and Nantwich. David became player manager of Northwich in 2003, he then spent 5 years at Nantwich, only retiring from playing at the age of 43. After Dario Gradi stepped down at Crewe this season, Steve Davis stepped in to manage his first club without playing also.

LAST TIME OUT: What happened last time?

Home: Argyle 0 Crewe 1 - (League 2) Earlier this season, in a match that might not have gone ahead if Argyle had been liquidated, Crewe came out on top, a goal just before half time from Miller was enough to give the Railwaymen all 3 points.

Away: Crewe 1 Argyle 2 - (Championship) When the Greens last went to Crewe they came out on top with a 2 1 victory. Paul Wotton scored a penalty and a free kick in the first half, Crewe got one back late on but the greens hung on for 3 points.

While Crewe are poor at home, Argyle did not set the world on fire with a rather grim 0 0 away day at Aldershot last week. Both sides would most likely take a point from this one but then again, both see this as a winnable fixture. We could be in for a good game, who knows?

Prediction: Crewe 0 Argyle 1 (Feeney)

Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks Cobi, much appreciated. And a good job you posted it now, only a few days left to read it clown
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Thanks Cobi, much appreciated. And a good job you posted it now, only a few days left to read it clown

Laughing
Leave the boy alone. He'll be a great reporter one day. I don't know how he manages to fit in his homework though.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Crewe have played good football to watch for years, and have had some pretty decent players. I always felt sorry for them having to sell their best players, and now they're looking down on us and could probably buy our best players now Sad
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 am

We have best players scratch
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 am

Crewe will tear us a new one without even getting out of first gear

3-0 Crewe...............if we're lucky
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 pm

greenjock wrote:
Crewe have played good football to watch for years

Too right. I remember an evening match back in 2003 (I think). We lost 3-0, but I went home with that buzz of having seen some fantastic football, even if most of it wasn't being played by us.

Hope they're not so good this time Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:28 pm

I remember seeing David Norris score on his debut up there a few years ago. They had Rob Hulse and Dean Ashton up front and were a pretty decent team all round, we won 1-0 despite them throwing the kitchen sink at us.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Good preview Cobi. I would also mention Nick Powell, a young attacking midfielder, who has scored some decent long range goals. Has recently been linked with Chelsea and Arsenal.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Cobi, good post.

One observation that really boils my piss.....

Please learn the difference between 'of' and 'off'.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Cobi, good post.

Cerbera, f**k of
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Cobi, good post.

Mine is people who say of instead of have. I should of done this or I could of done that.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Your not wrong Jock. It could of gone better for Cobi if he had just got of his ass and had the breaks fixed on his bike.

There, just got my piss simmering nicely now!

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Tiberius wrote:
I remember seeing David Norris score on his debut up there a few years ago. They had Rob Hulse and Dean Ashton up front and were a pretty decent team all round, we won 1-0 despite them throwing the kitchen sink at us.

I was at that game,ideal place for going by train,straight off the platform straight into the ground almost.They were a good side at that time,i remember Ashton tore us to pieces when they beat us 3-1 at HP in the return.Good player,very sad that his career was cut short by injury.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:09 pm

From the station you can see the one giant stand, which towers above the rest of the ground. Loads of great chippys and pubs near the ground too.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Working up North next week so im going to this one.
Been twice before, i think Norris scored the winner in one and the other was when blobby was here..i think we got thrashed 3-0. Anyway i think well lose tomorrow,wig or jester hat ?? decisions decisions
Backwards and downwards. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Cobi, good post.

There their they're. Calm down.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 pm

2 changes in the team: Cole, Berry, Bhasera, Blanchard, Purse, Walton, Hourihane, Hemmings, Young, Feeney, Sutherland
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
125+1

125+1

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
2 changes in the team: Cole, Berry, Bhasera, Blanchard, Purse, Walton, Hourihane, Hemmings, Young, Feeney, Sutherland

im going for a 1-1, Argyle are getting harder to beat as recent results show, but we are not quite there to push on and win. We seem to be drawing hell of alot so seems a more sensible prediction.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Losing 1-0, Murphy 20th minute
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Northampton winning away at Morecambe
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:24 pm

That's my prediction ruined.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Trap door to oblivion beginning to open
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Freathy wrote:
Trap door to oblivion beginning to open

Extremely wide now.
Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 pm

It's not over until the fat lady sings, but....................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crewe V Argyle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crewe V Argyle    Crewe V Argyle  Empty

Back to top Go down

Crewe V Argyle
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next