PostSubject: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Heroes to a man, apparently.

Manc 'erald

Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Manchester United, a boot stamping on English football forever.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

I know some people from Launceston from my cricketing days who make regular trips to Upton Park to watch West Ham, not the slightest bit interested in Argyle. When watching Argyle in London, quite often there were people on the train who were obviously Plymothians but sporting Everton/Liverpool/Man City gear and equally obviously going to watch those teams who were in the smoke on the same day. Meh. If Argyle had achieved what they could/should have done over the years then the issue would never have arisen to any degree. Don't think it's a vast problem anyway-it probably involves a section of people numbering in the hundreds when the catchment area for Argyle is many times bigger than that. It's up to Argyle to capitalise on that and earn the respect and loyalty of the relevant population rather than whinge about a largely irrelevant matter.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Agree Greenskin - it's a part of the human condition of wanting success or at least being associated with it. It's why attendance diminishes with failure and increases with success. Twas ever thus.
Back to top Go down
Motorservices

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 6:48 pm

In Okehampton there are buses that go to Man City and Liverpool games, sad really, if thoses people went to City,Argyle or even Torquay the area might have a better standard of football
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 7:04 pm

"To be honest I never cared much for Manchester United fans. For the most part they’re clueless glory hunters, trying to add a sense of accomplishment to their own pointless lives by jumping on the bandwagon of a successful sporting club, in many cases on the other side of the world"

Maybe not the other side of the world, but Roy Keane's rant still applies perfectly to sad fuckers like the Plymouth Reds.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Motorservices wrote:
In Okehampton there are buses that go to Man City and Liverpool games, sad really, if thoses people went to City,Argyle or even Torquay the area might have a better standard of football

Chicken and egg though really. When clubs like Hull, Swansea, Reading etc were struggling at the arse end of the football league, no doubt there were plenty of people from those towns/cities who were following the "big" clubs and couldn't give a shit how the local side was doing. Those clubs demanded support through on and off field success though instead of dripping about it and look at their fanbases now as compared to ours or City's. As a dyed in the wool Pilgrim, I don't especially like people who go to Old Trafford,Emirates or wherever instead of Home Park or any other ground of their local club, but that's the way of it. In local cricket and football, there were renowned pot hunters who would change clubs at the drop of a hat to chase trophies-as Hitch said earlier, it seems to be the nature of many of the beast.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Man Utd fans now seem to be saying that they stuck by their club during the 'bad times'. If finishing 7th in the Prem for one season constitutes 'bad times', you wonder how they'd cope with a couple of relegations and administration.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Blimey. Only people that should be allowed in the 'Plymouth Reds' are Mancs who are exiled.

What's the point in having a main team that you've never seen live before?

It's not even like most of them have the commitment to travel up and watch games. Infuriates me - we've got to stop it otherwise we'll miss out on a whole generation of potential Argyle fans.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 11:49 pm

we are not the only club to suffer from glory whores
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 5:49 am

Josh Pope wrote:
Blimey. Only people that should be allowed in the 'Plymouth Reds' are Mancs who are exiled.

What's the point in having a main team that you've never seen live before?

It's not even like most of them have the commitment to travel up and watch games. Infuriates me - we've got to stop it otherwise we'll miss out on a whole generation of potential Argyle fans.

I thought the point of the article was to show that they do see their team live...every week.

I don't have a problem with it. People are free to do, watch and support who they want. I'd gladly get into a row if they were sneering at me for supporting Argyle but actually they seem on the whole nice guys who are of a certain age.

If you take Tring's Swansea argument (which I wholeheartedly agree with) and you times it by a million you get the groundswell of support that Man Utd have based their worldwide growth on. You cannot under-estimate the effect that the Busby Babes, Munich, George Best, Bobby Charlton, England winning the World Cup and being the first English club to win the European Cup and at Wembley had on two generations of young football supporters.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 7:37 am

I couldn't care less if they're Mancs or from the area or even not from the area. Even if it's in their roots, I don't have a problem.

The ones that bug me are the glory hunters, and especially the ones who sort of abandon their team after a lower than usual season. These aren't people that attend either.

Each to their own, but it'd be much nicer for them to support their local side.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 7:51 am

I agree with DT regarding the significant "happenings" around Man U that has built it's worldwide fanbase over the years.

I and a mate saw their last league game at Highbury the Saturday before Munich (they won 5-4 I think ?).......I couldn't get that tragedy out of my mind for a long time afterwards......so I always still check how they're doing.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am

my Dad was at that game, he was doing his National Service at Uxbridge.
He was always banging on about how huge Duncan Edwards was
Back to top Go down
swampy

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 10:37 am

I share the views of Dick Trickle largely. The article is referring to those who do go regularly from Devon and Cornwall and hats off to them I say for showing that commitment in terms of time and money. I think the "bad times" Cornish Chris says is finishing 7th in the league for one season is actually referring to the 23 years or whatever it was they went without winning the league and having to watch their greatest rivals Liverpool dominate most years. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the top division and not winning a cup either is for a club of that stature disappointing, it's all relative in as much as what you are used to or expect from your team. I am sure the average Argyle fan gets a bigger thrill from winning a lower league title or even 3rd place to earn promotion than the average United fan gets from winning yet another championship. More so than in the old days before daily football on our screens from all over the World kids are going to be taken in by all the big stars of the game and want to see them play. My daughter would rather save and pay a lot of money to see half a dozen concerts a year with the likes of Macbusted, Take That, Ed Sheeran etc.up country than pay less to see lesser acts locally more regularly. It only seems to be football where people are vilified for wanting to watch a team or player they couldn't hope to see locally. Also, in the view of those so upset by these Plymouth Reds, how close to Plymouth should people live to have to be loyal to Plymouth Argyle? Plymouth City only, a 10 mile radius, 50 mile radius or what? Live and let live I say, it's a free country where people should be able to spend their entertainment/leisure money where they choose to and where they see value for money. The only thing that would really get my back up would be a Plymouth based United fan mocking Argyle as I feel someone should not be mocked for supporting their local club just as they shouldn't be vilified for choosing not to.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 am

alannotivvy wrote:
my Dad was at that game,  he was doing his National Service at Uxbridge.
He was always banging on about how huge Duncan Edwards was

5ft 11in was his physical size.........but his physical presence was HUGE.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 11:59 pm

While im not in the Plymouth reds, I have 2 season tickets in the Stretford end and have only missed 1 home game so far this season

Away games are harder to get tickets for because you have to enter a ballot, but I have put my name in hat each game so far this season and will go to any I am fortunate to be successful in
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 am

Hello stranger
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 12:08 am

hi there
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:08 am

Dane. wrote:
While im not in the Plymouth reds, I have 2 season tickets in the Stretford end and have only missed 1 home game so far this season

Away games are harder to get tickets for because you have to enter a ballot, but I have put my name in hat each game so far this season and will go to any I am fortunate to be successful in

Great commitment. You deserve a mural.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Dane. wrote:

Great commitment. You deserve a mural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_7FLKRS4Y
Back to top Go down
Plymouth Anonymous

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 am

Maybe if 'our' club did better, on and off the pitch, people would want to spend money. It's not all aboard the glory hunting bandwagon. Some people love their team and will travel too see them. Some people on here sound like Chris Webb when he's devestated walking into a Plymouth pub full of 'united plastic fans'. Bugger off back to London then punk! Brent, keep your misses locked away. Watch out Webbys about. Way i look at it, it's my money and your comments or opinions are irrelevant to who i support. Argyle are tinpot, but i still reluctantly go and watch thr shite sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 am

It funny, we have five season tickets, one belong to the grandson (6) he wear's his Argylr kit with pride, he asked to be a mascot for his birthday in April, he attends Argyle in the community football Wednesday and Saturday's

He supports Hull
Back to top Go down
Plymouth Anonymous

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 am

It's up too the individual who they support. As i said other people can have their opinion, but that's not going to bother me. If Argyle got a prem team in a cup game, superfans would be moaning that people will go Argyle then. Shouldn't they be welcoming potential fans instead of complaining that the club will bring on money to line their pockets.
Back to top Go down
swampy

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 am

Rather than encourage, embrace and welcome new/part time fans some seem to actually prefer being part of the loyal 6,000 and the feeling of self importance and self righteousness that brings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plymouth Reds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Reds   Plymouth Reds Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth Reds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next