gasser9
pepsipete
Tringreen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

41 years ago........ I was there..... Empty
PostSubject: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 am

Arrived late with a mate and ran into the ground, only to realise that we were at the home end, behind the goal. Needless to say we didn't celebrate the goals openly Wink cheers

ON THIS DAY - 20 NOVEMBER
1973: Football League Cup Round 4; QPR 0 Argyle 3 (Welsh 2, Davey). This was a brilliant display of attacking football against the top-flight stars, including Terry Venables, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles and many other well known names. QPR had been undefeated at Loftus Road for over a year, and that night were playing a side from two divisions below; no wonder some rate this one as the greatest performance in Argyle's history.

Also remember watching this pair ripping us apart in another game.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 am

I remember it well . An amazing result .
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 am

My Dad, who never drinks, got drunk that night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 am

Probably about the tenth match I ever went to, I was loving in old Barum town at the time a mates dad (who was a city supporter btw) drove us up in his Ford Anglia, I as ten at the time, never forget it, right down to the sausage and BRANSTON sarnies my mum made me.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm

I married into a Rangers family so I went there with trepidation and the undoubted stick I was going to take later but it didn't work out like that. We were by miles the better team and the scoreline wasn't flattering and was simply the best away performance by an Argyle team that I have ever seen. By the time I got back to Willesden my father-in-law and two brothers-in-law were already in bed. They didn't bother to go because according to them it was only going to go one way. A real happy night.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Arrived late with a mate and ran into the ground, only to realise that we were at the home end, behind the goal. Needless to say we didn't celebrate the goals openly Wink cheers

1973: Football League Cup Round 4; QPR 0 Argyle 3 (Welsh 2, Davey). This was a brilliant display of attacking football against the top-flight stars, including Terry Venables, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles and many other well known names. QPR had been undefeated at Loftus Road for over a year, and that night were playing a side from two divisions below; no wonder some rate this one as the greatest performance in Argyle's history.

Wasn't there but listened to it with amazement and pure unbridled joy on the radio-it was broadcast nationally. Great run that year, winning at Burnley and Birmingham as well and panning Pompey in one of the earlier rounds. Pity about the semi but there you go, wonderful memories.

Would that be the Morgan twins in the picture?
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Was there being a 17 yr old college student in London. The best performance I have ever witnessed as a Green.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Went to the Birmingham game quater final - played on a Wednesday afternoon cos of the power cuts!! One of the scariest games ever been to, stuck in the Tilton Road side of the ground was no joke, especially when that volly from Davey went in!!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Wasn't there but listened to it with amazement and pure unbridled joy on the radio-it was broadcast nationally. Great run that year, winning at Burnley and Birmingham as well and panning Pompey in one of the earlier rounds. Pity about the semi but there you go, wonderful memories.

No flies on you, dear boy.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

You can see where they've been though. Wink

A few years ago,i picked up a book by Rodney Marsh for about 10p in a local charity shop. He devotes a three page chapter in it called "Christmas bird", basically an account of the game against QPR at Home Park on Boxing Day when he took a dive for the match winning penalty. I remember the people running on the pitch and taking swings at the ref-Rodney says that there was a fair degree of violence towards the police as well. The QPR team coach was attacked with stones, bottles and bricks and apparently the Argyle fans gave it a damned good rocking from side to side as well-the bus and the ref both had to be smuggled out of side entrances eventually. QPR were very shaken by the incident-can't really remember much about it apart from the pitch invasion, surprised that there wasn't any further action taken against Argyle if things were as bad as Rodney said they were.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 7:37 pm

blimey now we;d have points deducted,fined and all involved 'named and shamed' in the paper, banned for life etc etc.
now we have to tolerate any old crap!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Tringreen wrote:

fantastic stuff.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

You can see where they've been though. Wink

A few years ago,i picked up a book by Rodney Marsh for about 10p in a local charity shop. He devotes a three page chapter in it called "Christmas bird", basically an account of the game against QPR at Home Park on Boxing Day when he took a dive for the match winning penalty. I remember the people running on the pitch and taking swings at the ref-Rodney says that there was a fair degree of violence towards the police as well. The QPR team coach was attacked with stones, bottles and bricks and apparently the Argyle fans gave it a damned good rocking from side to side as well-the bus and the ref both had to be smuggled out of side entrances eventually. QPR were very shaken by the incident-can't really remember much about it apart from the pitch invasion, surprised that there wasn't any further action taken against Argyle if things were as bad as Rodney said they were.  

I've always thought that it was just one man that ran on the pitch and that he attacked Marsh. He was a local bus driver called Rex Dixon. Must have got that wrong.

I also remember Marsh dribbling from the half way line by the dugouts towards the Devonport End. Instead of shooting he flicked the ball up and whacked it out of the ground. He claimed it was to waste time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm

I was in the Devonport End when Marsh took that dive . He got up an smiled at us then all hell broke loose .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Warning notices were posted at Home Park afterwards . I remember loads on the pitch .
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 am

I too can only remember one old git running onto the pitch when the penalty was awarded.

Think that spelt relegation for Argo, so not surprising the cheating Marsh provoked such ugly post match scenes. Had the same thing happened at somewhere like the Den, it would have been far worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 41 years ago........ I was there.....   41 years ago........ I was there..... Empty

Back to top Go down

41 years ago........ I was there.....
Page 1 of 1