Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.

Go down 
+10
Freathy
zyph
gasser9
Sir Francis Drake
GreenSam
Czarcasm
pepsipete
Hitch
sufferedsince 68
VillageGreen
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 am

Not strong enough in depth, suspensions and injuries will hit us at some time, the other thing to consider is other teams sussing out our system.
I think a lower payoff place is more realistic but wouldn't be shocked if we just missed it either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 11:58 am

GreenSam wrote:
I agree ejh and think things have really come together in the last month. Look at our away from in August and September.

Wimbledon and Burton would have been the kind of games we'd lose. On the other hand, they'd have been the kind of games we drew in the Sturrock season. If we can get a home win against Pompey whose away form is pants, it'll all start to look very rosy again.

We have 4 easier league games coming up after Portsmouth, all down around 15th place or lower.

They will be the test of us - can we keep doing the business at home, and keep the goals out away? The potential is there to horde up the points in the run up to 2015.

Caolan Lavery is due to come back from injury soon too. It will be interesting to see if he figures in Sheffield Wednesday's plans, and if not, there is an obvious loan spell on the cards.

With regards to our rivals, with the greatest of respect to Luton, I think their purple patch will end soon. Wycombe I don't think will have the quality to be up there after 46 games. I see the top automatic places being a battle between ourselves, Bury, Burton and Shrewsbury, but there is a long way to go yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Iggy wrote:
Not strong enough in depth, suspensions and injuries will hit us at some time, the other thing to consider is other teams sussing out our system.
I think a lower payoff place is more realistic but wouldn't be shocked if we just missed it either.

thats the big problem for me Squad depth it will cost us dear and has done in the past.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Angry wrote:
Iggy wrote:

thats the big problem for me Squad depth it will cost us dear and has done in the past.

Do other teams have better back up strikers as Marvin Morgan and Deane Smalley? (Both having played seasons in League One).

Or better back up wingers than Nathan Thomas?

Or better reserve centre mids than Ollie Norburn and Lee Cox?

We reduced the playing squad to improve the calibre of signings and the improved quality is telling.

It's only a long term injury to McCormick or Reuben Reid that can really hurt us, IMHO. But what team at this level can cope just as well without two of their very best senior players? Any other player injury/suspension and we will cope with options in the loan market.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:49 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Do other teams have better back up strikers as Marvin Morgan and Deane Smalley? (Both having played seasons in League One).

We reduced the playing squad to improve the calibre of signings and the improved quality is telling.

It's only a long term injury to McCormick or Reuben Reid that can really hurt us, IMHO. But what team at this level can cope just as well without two of their very best senior players? Any other player injury/suspension and we will cope with options in the loan market.
I'll go with this.
We are good enough but so are probably another 8 teams and its the ''other factors'' type things like suspensions, injuries, loss of form, postponements and backlog that start to take effect. This season JS has started making early subs and changing the formation which he didn't seem to fancy last season. Onwards men alien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 1:29 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
Iggy wrote:

morgan doesnt score goals on a regular basis to step in to alessandra's or reid shoes if one falls that has happened before and it hurt us. Smalley debatable either way.

thomas cant break into the first team no matter is skill and we are not playing with wingers atm. The 20 minute run outs are all he can do and wont go beyond that till he sorts his asthma out

cox is injury prone despite his ability and norburn hasnt done anything to warrant praise or win a place in the team.

and even if you count those 5 as starting 11 elect what do we have beyond them? defence wise there is no one other than bentley and he is unproven, in goal there is bitner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Like Angry says we don't have many goalscorers in the team, with Reid and Lewi out at the same time we wouldn't score at all.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 8:35 pm

I think worrying about the depth of the squad is a bit of a red herring. We might be shallow to the extent that the squad is puddle-deep but that applies to everyone else too.

And I don't actually accept that the squad is that bad. If you look at our subs bench it's not bad at all.

We could do with more goals and goalscorers but couldn't everybody?

We're doing just fine at present and I can see no reason why it shouldn't continue.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I think worrying about the depth of the squad is a bit of a red herring. We might be shallow to the extent that the squad is puddle-deep but that applies to everyone else too.

And I don't actually accept that the squad is that bad. If you look at our subs bench it's not bad at all.

We're doing just fine at present and I can see no reason why it shouldn't continue.

one or two injuries ill remind you of this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2015 1:58 pm

I couldn't find the thread asking whether we would go up at the start of the season but this is interesting, odd bit of comedy in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

you were saying? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.   Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are Argyle Good Enough To Go Up This Season ?.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2