Mock Cuncher
Cornish Chris
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

The Cricket thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:06 am

It's amazing how far one-day cricket has come. As you say 250 was par and 300 was pretty much impossible to chase down. Now it seems like you need at least 350 to be fairly confident of winning.

It's great to see the change of mentality from England. Something had to change. Sure, if you play aggressive, attacking cricket you might set an uncompetitive total, but if you play negatively you pretty much guarantee it.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Confirmation-400 IS the new 300.England chase 350 and get there with 7 wickets and 6 overs to spare! What happened to that turgid batting side who seemed to be stuck in the 1970's at the world cup? Change in coaching staff, a couple of new players and a total change in attitude seems to have done the trick- a remarkable transformation, wouldn't have thought it possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 7:34 am

The Ashes is going to be really interesting now. If England can maintain this mindset and play aggressive cricket against the incredibly obnoxious Ausyralians we could be on for a great series.

Our bowling has to improve a lot though.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
The Ashes is going to be really interesting now. If England can maintain this mindset and play aggressive cricket against the incredibly obnoxious Ausyralians we could be on for a great series.

Our bowling has to improve a lot though.

It be a different team for the ashes,

To go to a one day game now you are require to wear a crash helmet Basketball
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 10:51 am

Greenskin wrote:
Confirmation-400 IS the new 300.England chase 350 and get there with 7 wickets and 6 overs to spare! What happened to that turgid batting side who seemed to be stuck in the 1970's at the world cup? Change in coaching staff, a couple of new players and a total change in attitude seems to have done the trick- a remarkable transformation, wouldn't have thought it possible.

Incredible isn't it.

The most amazing thing of all is that it'll be an ODI series that everyone actually remembers.

Well done Farbrace and well done Captain Morgan.

It'll be interesting to see what Cook makes of it all. Does he have it in him to be as aggressive as Vaughan's team of 10 years ago? I was at the first day of the 2005 Trent Bridge Ashes Test when England scored 400 in a day (after Ponting had inexplicably chosen to field). Just such exhilarating cricket. On the other hand I was also at the first day of the 2013 Durham Ashes Test, when Cook took all day to score about 60. (I then got a train to Plymouth the following day to watch Argyle lose 2-0 at home to Fleetwood). I know we can't argue with his record, but he's a hard watch sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 pm

If they select Rashid we'll know the transformation of English cricket is gathering momentum........................and about bloody time !

It's hardly rocket science to bin the laptop coaches, select the most talented, free spirited players and attack.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 10:33 am

Off to the T20 tonight at the Oval for Surrey vs. Kent. Curry at 4.30pm at the Kennington Tandoori, beers, cricket, more beers and home. Perfect. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am

Enjoy.

I do like big county games. I used to go to a lot of Lancashire games at Old Trafford with a few mates and a cool bag full of Oranjeboom and doughnuts. Happy days.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 9:08 am

England win the series. Did I really just say that? What a Face Great effort from Bairstow yesterday to cap a fantastic series. England have discovered latent talent and a different attitude within the team under the new management and hopefully can now carry that forward to be serious challengers at tournaments in this format. New Zealand are pretty much a credit in every aspect of the game and with people like Williamson, Watling and Boult should be a force for many years to come. Don't often remember one day series but this one will stick in the mind-great cricket.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 11:39 am

NZ looked quite toothless without Boult, and from the World Cup alone definitely missed Anderson and Vettori.

With Australia's sheer depth of class bowlers, you've got to consider them favourites for the Ashes - although England's batting depth is slightly better imo, not by the same margin.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:10 pm

I think Australia will still win it. However thankfully they wont be winning a white wash like last time it will be a close series.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:50 pm

The talking stops and the action begins tomorrow. If England can negate the pace attack then they have a chance but it's a big if. Lyth unproven, Bell and Balance not productive in recent times. I'll go for an optimistic outlook and say drawn series.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:58 pm

England 2-2 Australia.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 pm

I don't think we have the bowlers to bowl 'em out twice in 5 days. That suggests it's going to be a long hard summer for us.

That said we bat a fair way down so with a bit of scoreboard pressure who knows?

Toss winning is going to be crucial for us. If Cook's not a lucky tosser and Jimmy can't get it hooping around we've had it.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Convict 2-1 win
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 6:00 am

3-1 to the aussies
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 7:35 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I don't think we have the bowlers to bowl 'em out twice in 5 days. That suggests it's going to be a long hard summer for us.

That said we bat a fair way down so with a bit of scoreboard pressure who knows?

Toss winning is going to be crucial for us. If Cook's not a lucky tosser and Jimmy can't get it hooping around we've had it.

True that. Broad really seems to gets under their skin though, and still averages sub-30 against them. That'll be crucial too.

I think both sides will miss having a top-class spinner. Obviously every future Aussie will be compared to Warne, but Graeme Swann will be just as hard to replace for England.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 8:05 am

I am confident that England will win comfortably. Two years ago the Aussies were a very poor side and we were a very good side. Somehow that was turned on its head in 5 matches down under (though there were signs the previous summer).

Obviously England went into meltdown but the catalyst on the pitch was our inability to get rid of the Aussie tail. On numerous occasions we got ourselves into a good position but allowed them to escape. To get rid of a tail you need a good spinner or someone who can bowl fast. We have neither but with attacking fields I would hope that we can tempt them into trouble.

Other then Clarke I don't rate the Aussie batsman. Smith is in the form of his life and if that continues then it could be interesting, but I don't think his current form is a true reflection of his ability. Warner is a bellened of epic proportions, and I think they are all flat track bullies who look great when they can attack in good conditions.

Losing Ryan Harris is a big blow for them as he is by far and away their best bowler. Johnson should be manageable as long as we don't shit ourselves too much. Starc could be a star and Peter Siddle is consistent. Brad Haddin always seems to play well against us but he is old.

Clarke is a better captain then Cook, but the influence of Bayliss and Farbrace may make a big difference and I hope they can get Cook to be more adventurous. Bell and Ballance need to find form but Root looks exceptional. I think Buttler and Stokes will love the confrontation of an Ashes series. I don't rate Moeen Ali as a batsman or a bowler (he doesn't think too highly of me either), so I expect Rashid to be in the side soon. I like the look of Mark Wood as well; but that might be because he is clearly barking mad.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 am

Personally I think Cook is damaged goods and should of been replaced.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 9:25 am

If you want to watch the 1st day's play of the 1st test (and if you are reading this then I'm sure you do):

1. Go to NOW TV's website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
2. Open an account if you don't have one and if you do just log in.
3. Go to the Buy A Day Pass (£6.99) screen.
4. Do not purchase a Day Pass but apply the voucher.
5. Enter "NOWTVASHES".
6. The wonderful world of Sky Sports is now yours free of charge, no strings attached (I think) on up to 4 registered devices (phone, pc, tablet etc) for 24 hours and it is all entirely legit.
7. Kick off The Ashes - Live at 11 am.
8. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 am

Clarke is a useless tosser. England to bat first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 10:30 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
If you want to watch the 1st day's play of the 1st test (and if you are reading this then I'm sure you do):

1. Go to NOW TV's website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
2. Open an account if you don't have one and if you do just log in.
3. Go to the Buy A Day Pass (£6.99) screen.
4. Do not purchase a Day Pass but apply the voucher.
5. Enter "NOWTVASHES".
6. The wonderful world of Sky Sports is now yours free of charge, no strings attached (I think) on up to 4 registered devices (phone, pc, tablet etc) for 24 hours and it is all entirely legit.
7. Kick off The Ashes - Live at 11 am.
8. Enjoy.

or you can ask me and ill give you a link to sky sports ashes for free?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 am

Ricky Ponting looks like he needs a damned good shampoo and bath. Yeurgh.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 11:19 am

A bit of away swing (to the left-hander) and a couple of grubbers through to the WK... A maiden to start with. Batting isn't going to be easy.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 11:24 am

Lyth's gone. Caught in the gully. 7-1.

Ball wobbling about a bit. No bounce in the pitch.

300 will be a good score.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cricket thread   The Cricket thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Cricket thread
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next