Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?

Go down 
+8
Tringreen
Czarcasm
Chemical Ali
Elias
simao
Greenskin
Sir Francis Drake
Richard Blight
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? Empty
PostSubject: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm

1, Great day out at the old Wembley, Ronnie's header to beat Darlo and gaining promotion.
2, Norris's great cross into the box for Trigger to head it home, beating QPR to become champions.
3, My dad taking me to Argo as a kid, making a little box for me to stand on in the Demport.
4, Watching at last, the old ground being bulldozed to make way for our new stadium ( I thought this was it. After all these mediocre years, we're are now going places! (FAIL)
5, Beating Brizzle rovers 4-0 ( or was it 4-1?) in front of what seemed 60,000 fans at a packed old HP, only to climb over the fence at the end of the game to get on the pitch, only to break my arm after falling down the other side!!

If I sat down and had another think, I'd probably come up with another dozen or so, but these are the ones that always seem to stick in my memory.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Wasn't it Bristol City?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Which arm did you break?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 pm

1. Jim furnell saving a last minute penalty v Crystal Palace to win 2-1. Complete mayhem followed.
2. Beating Bradford 6-0 in the last game of the season to stay up and send them down. Complete mayhem followed.
3. Banging 6 past Leeds. Complete mayhem all the way through.
4. The WBA cup match in '84. Just... bonkers.
5. The Derby replay in '84. As above.
6. Doing Derby again the following season 2-1 up there.
7. Doing Derby 4-1 at Home Park. 4 second half goals.
8. Tommy sticking 4 in v Blackburn.
9. McCarthy's goal v Everton.
10. Garry Nelson grabbing an equaliser late on up at Blackpool in '85/86. Lots of mayhem.
11. Shilton's mob winning 3-2 at Exeter for the first win in decades.
12. Beating Torquay 4-3. Littlejohn hat-trick. Complete mayhem all the way through.
13. The brutal double header v Pulis's Gillingham. Lost 1-0 up there won 1-0 (Barlow) down here.
14. The Colchester home play-off. Just mental. I think I went insane for 2 hours that night.
15. Sticking 7 past Chesterfield.
16. Beating Luton when only the Mayflower side was open. Joe Soap etc...
17. "You'll never play here again."
18. Trigger v Swindon for that "Evans o.g." moment.
19. Friio's 2 inj time goals v Gillingham.
20. That QPR game. Most tense match ever. Even worse than Wembley (which was rubbish, really, as a match).
21. Away wins at Palace (1-0) and Charlton (2-1) and Sheff Utd (1-0) just before the wheels came off.

Nothing since then has set the pulse racing.

It's been far too long a time since we had anything on the pitch to genuinely celebrate and get excited about.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 pm

13.5 McGregor's hat-trick up at Torquay.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm

1.Paul Mariner's debut-a star was clearly born

2.The FA cup run of 1983/84,difficult to pick out one highlight but the performance against WBA was about the best i've ever seen from an Argyle team against top level opposition

3.Ronnie's header-after that time seemed to stand still until the final whistle

4.Mickey and David's goals against QPR

5.Superb breakaway goal against Derby in the FA cup run under Holloway-Sinclair's goal against Barnet is generally the one talked about but the Derby one was better by far

So many over the years that were of equal merit-the various promotions,cup runs [although few and far between] and lots of moments of individual and team brilliance which were not significant in terms of success but memorable nonetheless.Plenty of crap stuff as well mind you...

BTW,i think the game you refer to was Bristol City and it was 4-0,fantastic goals from Tynan and Nelson.Shame there was only 19900 there to see it.Snigger,guffaw,sly nudge. lol! 

Yer's another highlight-skived school for this one,as did most people actually-30000 on a Wednesday afternoon!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
Wasn't it Bristol City?

It was. It's been a long hard day.  Embarassed 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Which arm did you break?

FFS. flower 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Any alan nicholls game when he on one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 pm

Col U 95 playoffs was the most intense atmosphere I've ever experienced.
The buzz when Williams' header was immrnse. The whole ground went apeshit.

Back to top Go down
simao

simao

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm

1. '96 play-off at home park
2. Blackpool away to go top of the league 1-0 Stonebridge? Just a great weekend.
3. First game (FA Cup Reading, standing £Cool with Hippo
4. Watching us v Derby, getting pissed in a bar on the Algarve circa 2004
5. Wooton thunderbolt v Sunderland. Stood right behind it, screamer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
1. Jim furnell saving a last minute penalty v Crystal Palace to win 2-1. Complete mayhem followed.
2. Beating Bradford 6-0 in the last game of the season to stay up and send them down. Complete mayhem followed.
3. Banging 6 past Leeds. Complete mayhem all the way through.
4. The WBA cup match in '84. Just... bonkers.
5. The Derby replay in '84. As above.
6. Doing Derby again the following season 2-1 up there.
7. Doing Derby 4-1 at Home Park. 4 second half goals.
8. Tommy sticking 4 in v Blackburn.
9. McCarthy's goal v Everton.
10. Garry Nelson grabbing an equaliser late on up at Blackpool in '85/86. Lots of mayhem.
11. Shilton's mob winning 3-2 at Exeter for the first win in decades.
12. Beating Torquay 4-3. Littlejohn hat-trick. Complete mayhem all the way through.
13. The brutal double header v Pulis's Gillingham. Lost 1-0 up there won 1-0 (Barlow) down here.
14. The Colchester home play-off. Just mental. I think I went insane for 2 hours that night.
15. Sticking 7 past Chesterfield.
16. Beating Luton when only the Mayflower side was open. Joe Soap etc...
17. "You'll never play here again."
18. Trigger v Swindon for that "Evans o.g." moment.
19. Friio's 2 inj time goals v Gillingham.
20. That QPR game. Most tense match ever. Even worse than Wembley (which was rubbish, really, as a match).
21. Away wins at Palace (1-0) and Charlton (2-1) and Sheff Utd (1-0) just before the wheels came off.

Nothing since then has set the pulse racing.

It's been far too long a time since we had anything on the pitch to genuinely celebrate and get excited about.

i dont know he said 5 and you give 21  lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 12:32 am

It was nice to remember the good times. So many happy memories.

Nissie's screamers, Summers up at Pompey, Godfrey at Rovers, Jock Morrison getting sent off v Blackpool, beating Oldham 3-2, 4-4 v Cardiff, Stani hitting both posts, 5-0 v Charlton in the '70s, the ovation for Worrell in his last game, Trigger's diving header v Ipswich in his last game, Mark Stuart scoring 2 screamers at Upton Park, a crucial 4-3 v Port Vale, scoring 8 at Hartlepoole, Nugent scoring a late, late winner v Barnet...
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 am

the 1st ever win in leicester, what a day that was !
the win at bramall lane (first since 1939) ran it close.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 am

1) Friio's goal against QPR
2) Evan's goal against QPR
3) Rochdale away 2002
4) leicester city away when ollie was there manager
5) darlington 96 my first game
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 am

Angry wrote:
1) Friio's goal against QPR
2) Evan's goal against QPR
3) Rochdale away 2002
4) leicester city away when ollie was there manager
5) darlington 96 my first game

And I had you down as a miserable old git, now I'm feeling old, my first game was in 73, deary me, where does the time go ?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 1:19 pm

1. Beating Swindon 2-0, them coming back to 2-2 with a couple of minutes left "2-0 and you effed it up" then Marino scoring the winner. Mental.
2. aArgyle 3-0 v Exeter, Marino's second goal and the 2 pitch invaders.
3. Nicky Marker's horror tackle on Ossie ardiles  Very Happy 
4. 2-0 v QPR
5. 0-3 at Forest- I went to 11 away games that season and that was the only win - also secured championship status
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 1:59 pm

My three most euphoric goal scoring moments...

Andy Rogers direct from the corner at Baseball Ground, Derby q/f FACup '84.

Kev Summerfield at Fratton Park circa 87(?) beating them 1-0 in front of a terrace rammed full of 3,000 Argyle. Pompey were unbeaten at home all season (till this game) and were duly promoted to what is now the Prem.

Mauge at Wembley.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Being in a 40k crowd at HP when we lost 5 - 1 to the Spurs 'double' side, after beating WHU 3 - 0 in the 3rd round.

Bringing Millwall's 57 home games without defeat to an end.

Winning 3 - 0 at Loftus Road in the League Cup.

Watching Argyle at Watford on more than one occasion,when Mariner & Rafferty were in their pomp and 'knowing' we would win.

The Wembley Play off final......... A sea of Green.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 pm

The dwight marshall goal v barnsley in the fa cup was pretty good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Gerry Taggarts equaliser was a bit of a sickener though.

I remember Peytons opener was a bit of bizarre one
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Being in a 40k crowd at HP when we lost 5 - 1 to the Spurs 'double' side, after beating WHU 3 - 0 in the 3rd round.

Bringing Millwall's 57 home games without defeat to an end.

Winning 3 - 0 at Loftus Road in the League Cup.

Watching Argyle at Watford on more than one occasion,when Mariner & Rafferty were in their pomp and 'knowing' we would win.

The Wembley Play off final......... A sea of Green.

Tring the Millwall game in Jan 1967.....was actually 59 games unbeaten......I was there and couldn't believe what I was seeing .....just two draws...2pts away from home....a cert home banker if ever there was one.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 pm

I was there too. Not quite sure how we got out in one piece. At least 7 minutes 'injury time' added. Peter [they threw bottles] Shearing, lining the light ale bottles up by his goal post. Team bus with players in , attacked etc etc
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 10:04 pm

I can remember as the whistle blew to finish the game.....making for Cold Blow Lane under the railway arches to where the car was parked near Deptford Park.....there where two teenagers looking for green and white scarves......and this docker grab one of them by the collar and told them to forget it.....we had to lose sometime he said......and they sheepishly melted away.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 pm

paddy wilsons late equaliser at carlisle.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?   Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories? Empty

Back to top Go down

Forget the last shite 5 years. What's your 5 outstanding memories?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next