Dougie
VillageGreen
9 posters
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm

There is a thread on PASOTI called ''The Marvin Morgan witch hunt''.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is this a justified thread ??.. Is he really a poor singing from JS, or do we wait to see if MM can deliver this coming season..

Apparently, some youngsters were on Twitter venting their anger towards him [now that's not cricket]....
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I haven't liked him since the first time I saw him play against Southend last year. I've said before that he needs Mickey Evans to coach him. I don't believe there is a witch hunt. Supporters aren't entirely daft and they can see a duff one when they see one. It's a different point entirely about how you express your disappointment about a poor footballer playing for your team.
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm

what has he done since being here? has he shown anything worth praising him over on the pitch when he has played (i accept he was injuired for most of last season) ?

personal abuse of a player isnt called for at all however the fans have the right to voice their views on him professionally if they so wish.

edited to add:

He needs a good start to this season to win over his haters but i still believe he will be moved on at somepoint.
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm

The "utterly hilarious" twitter account JohnShez1 was trolling Morgan a while back. I wonder who was behind that?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm

He's not good enough to play for Argyle,but neither are most of the squad! its wrong to single out one donkey from the rest though.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Must confess i don't especially like some of the stuff written about Morgan.For sure he didn't set the world on fire in the early part of last season but neither did Reid or Alessandra,neither of who had the misfortune to sustain a surgery requiring injury or a subsequent seizure which terminated his comeback.Pretty unfair to judge the bloke on the strength of his necessarily limited contribution last season or a couple of pre season friendlies-if he gets a fair wind this season and still proves to be not up to the job then so be it,he's crap, but maybe a bit more time is needed before any sweeping judgements can be made.
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Again, I cant endorse a witch hunt or personal attacks on a player....however most fans arent stupid and can see a donkey when they see one. Agreed there is a lot of dross at our club but he is one of the worst.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am

It's Sheridan's responsibility to sort it either by man management or coaching, Morgan is on the payroll as striker if he does'nt produce then the manager needs to make some decisions.
Blimey the stick that Morgan is getting is kids stuff compare to what Rory Fallon got.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 am

Angry wrote:
what has he done since being here? has he shown anything worth praising him over on the pitch when he has played (i accept he was injuired for most of last season) ?

personal abuse of a player isnt called for at all however the fans have the right to voice their views on him professionally if they so wish.

edited to add:

He needs a good start to this season to win over his haters but i still believe he will be moved on at somepoint.

That is true, perhaps he may improve this coming season, although what i have seen of him, he was not that inspiring tbh...If he does not improve as the season goes on, then perhaps JS may have to ship him out on loan ? (if that is plausible), or ship him out altogether...
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 am

Greenskin wrote:
Must confess i don't especially like some of the stuff written about Morgan.For sure he didn't set the world on fire in the early part of last season but neither did Reid or Alessandra,neither of who had the misfortune to sustain a surgery requiring injury or a subsequent seizure which terminated his comeback.Pretty unfair to judge the bloke on the strength of his necessarily limited contribution last season or a couple of pre season friendlies-if he gets a fair wind this season and still proves to be not up to the job then so be it,he's crap, but maybe a bit more time is needed before any sweeping judgements can be made.

I agree.

With strikers it's all about service and while he was fit last season he got precious little.

I still think he can come good.

Only one thing is certain and that's that the booboy stuff won't help.

There was also a period last year when Reid was routinely criticised by many as lazy and useless...
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:53 am

Skip to about 1:44 and see Morgan supplied with a fantastic cross by Parsons. He's simply not very good. I do think the social media berating of Morgan is often uncalled for, but it's rarely directly sent to him. Instead he searches for it, the guy searches his own name and then gets disgruntled when he finds what people are saying about him.
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

edited to add:

That is true, perhaps he may improve this coming season, although what i have seen of him, he was not that inspiring tbh...If he does not improve as the season goes on, then perhaps JS may have to ship him out on loan ? (if that is plausible), or ship him out altogether...

Looking at his record he CAN score goals and contrary to spowell's post above is good the air,, Its a shame we havent seen any of this so far.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Once upon a time he may have had the ability to score a few headers in the conference, but I'm yet to see any evidence to suggest he'll be doing that next season for Argyle. To partner Reid centrally, I believe Banton and Lewi are better than Morgan and possibly Lecointe and Smalley also. Out left Morgan looks a better player, but I feel we've got at least 3 or 4 better options for that position also. I'll be very disappointed I hear he's starting against Cambridge, because of the gutless and frankly pathetic performances I've seen him put in against Newport, Burton, Wimbledon to name a few. Don't get me wrong though, I'd be delighted for him to prove me wrong and I won't be booing him, but I just do not rate him above a lot of other players in the squad and can't really see what he contributes other than a few beanies and gloves for the players in the winter...
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 pm

I totally agree with Cobi on this.

I was at Birmingham away last season so basically even with a fit Marvin morgan, Sheridan was using our 6' 3" beanpole striker as a left winger.

Despite this he still did well winning flick ons and directing them centrally. He even teed up Alessandra's rocket in that game.

He had a good game at Cheltenham away too. He really ran their CBs ragged with his physical play, and that was playing as a STRIKER - Boco left and Alessandra right the beneficiaries with their pace.

Sheridan prioritised Reid as his number 9 last season, simple as. He gave him about 15 games of barely scoring before it reaped rewards. I remember thinking WTF - why is Marvin not starting as a striker, when he has won promotion with Shrewsbury and has a reputation for being a tough player to defend against? Morgan never really had a shot at being a striker, and when he did it was hanging on Reid's coat tails. He certainly hasn't had 15 matches of faith invested in him like Reid.

In terms of service he absolutely needs good crosses - and we simply never had it last season. Berry rarely overlapped and couldn't deliver, and we haven't had a left back of good pedigree since Purrington showed us what an assist from a side back looked like - and Morgan was long injured and out of the team by then. Our left mid Boco had a painfully bad season, Banton had a 2/10 season, and for all Alessandra's qualities, crossing isn't one of them.

Morgan is far from a bad player, but I don't think he fits in with Sheridan's style of play at all. JS hasn't really done a lot to accommodate him either. Play him in a central role and whip good crosses into him, put two athletic players of movement to run off him and we could see a fantastic team. But Reid is too entrenched in the team now, with good reason, and I just don't see a system with Reid and Morgan, except for perhaps a flat 4-4-2, where both can both be successful in the same starting XI.

It has to go down as a failure on Sheridan to not get the best out of Morgan, rather than a failure of Marvin, if he finishes this season with another pathetic goal tally. Considering Morgan is one of the top earners at the club, and a renowned League Two targetman - Sheridan has to ask himself why he signed him? To play him left wing, or to be Reuben Reid's sub? Sheridan hasn't got the best out of him, it's as simple as that, and I agree he is a waste of a good wage to be in the reserves.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 2:18 pm

When Marvin turned up at the PASALB Christmas get together.....he was recovering from his injury....he was freely talking to everyone.....and came across a nice fellow.

He was unlucky with his shoulder injury,needing surgery and a long time off recovering.....then he had that funny turn putting him in hospital for a few tests. Not a season to remember for him or the supporters....bit of a non-event.

I can remember him saying that Argyles offer was not financially the best he had received.....but he felt that Plymouth was a bigger club with a good ground and Sheridan convinced him that it was the right place to be.

He has shown signs that he might have more to offer this season......but he shouldn't be playing on the wing at 6ft 5in.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 pm

spowell92 wrote:

Skip to about 1:44 and see Morgan supplied with a fantastic cross by Parsons. He's simply not very good. I do think the social media berating of Morgan is often uncalled for, but it's rarely directly sent to him. Instead he searches for it, the guy searches his own name and then gets disgruntled when he finds what people are saying about him.

Not really very irrefutable to single out one instance of a striker missing a sitter as evidence that he's "not very good" or that the service was indeed adequate to the strikers in the very limited time that Morgan spent on the pitch last season-that may well have been the only chance of the match,who knows.You could sift through the career of every striker in history,including the very best ones,and find instances where they missed chances that my gran could have converted-the important factor is getting into positions whereby a percentage of chances will be taken.Morgan has actually played in a promotion winning team from this division and made a decent contrbution,so i'll wait and see if he can stay fit before making a final judgement.Agree though that pro footballers are very foolish to get embroiled in Twatter or any other social media where contact with people like Pissface or whatever he's called is possible-just asking for trouble,as the Exeter chap has found out to his cost.
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 pm

He was better than Juhvel Tsoumou at least
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Greenskin wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

Not really very irrefutable to single out one instance of a striker missing a sitter as evidence that he's "not very good" or that the service was indeed adequate to the strikers in the very limited time that Morgan spent on the pitch last season-that may well have been the only chance of the match,who knows.You could sift through the career of every striker in history,including the very best ones,and find instances where they missed chances that my gran could have converted-the important factor is getting into positions whereby a percentage of chances will be taken.Morgan has actually played in a promotion winning team from this division and made a decent contrbution,so i'll wait and see if he can stay fit before making a final judgement.Agree though that pro footballers are very foolish to get embroiled in Twatter or any other social media where contact with people like Pissface or whatever he's called is possible-just asking for trouble,as the Exeter chap has found out to his cost.

Exactly. Does anyone want a clip of Reid making a shocking miss to prove he is awful?

Believe me, before his purple patch last season he was making two penalty box misses a game.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 5:55 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

Exactly. Does anyone want a clip of Reid making a shocking miss to prove he is awful?

Believe me, before his purple patch last season he was making two penalty box misses a game.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying and my judgments of him aren't based on that one (missed) opportunity, but that moment just about sums him up for me. I see no evidence through the highlights or my own observations at games of much of a positive contribution. I am certain Reid has missed a few sitters, penalties too, but he scored 20 more goals than Morgan last season... Marv may be a top bloke and he may have been part of a Shrewsbury side that managed to climb out of this division, scoring 11 in the process, but that was a few years ago now and he was probably at the peak of his career. It seems to me that he's declined performance-wise. We're stuck with him though, so I'm not going to bitch and whine about him being at the club and if he plays I wish him the best. I'd just rather he remain 5th/6th choice as I believe we'll find more success from other players.
Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Reid and Alessandra are the partnership that works for us. It will take something to break that up and it will be interesting to see if Morgan will mount and serious threat to either of them this season.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Angry wrote:
Reid and Alessandra are the partnership that works for us. It will take something to break that up and it will be interesting to see if Morgan will mount and serious threat to either of them this season.

Agreed Angry. Lewi, Banton or Smalley should be partnering Reid centrally and the other two on the wings. Potentially Thomas to push one of the widemen for their place, as well as Lecointe offering wide or central back up. Morgan falls short of all of those players imo, like you say it'll be interesting to see if he can push for a place - though I doubt he will. And if he's gift the position in the team to start, I feel it'll only be a matter of time till he loses it. For the record, that's not me wanting him to fail.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

edited to add:

Looking at his record he CAN score goals and contrary to spowell's post above is good the air,, Its a shame we havent seen any of this so far.

I can't disagree with those comments, that was why JS brought him down here.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 pm

ejh wrote:
I totally agree with Cobi on this.

I was at Birmingham away last season so basically even with a fit Marvin morgan, Sheridan was using our 6' 3" beanpole striker as a left winger.

Despite this he still did well winning flick ons and directing them centrally. He even teed up Alessandra's rocket in that game.

He had a good game at Cheltenham away too. He really ran their CBs ragged with his physical play, and that was playing as a STRIKER - Boco left and Alessandra right the beneficiaries with their pace.

Sheridan prioritised Reid as his number 9 last season, simple as. He gave him about 15 games of barely scoring before it reaped rewards. I remember thinking WTF - why is Marvin not starting as a striker, when he has won promotion with Shrewsbury and has a reputation for being a tough player to defend against? Morgan never really had a shot at being a striker, and when he did it was hanging on Reid's coat tails. He certainly hasn't had 15 matches of faith invested in him like Reid.

In terms of service he absolutely needs good crosses - and we simply never had it last season. Berry rarely overlapped and couldn't deliver, and we haven't had a left back of good pedigree since Purrington showed us what an assist from a side back looked like - and Morgan was long injured and out of the team by then. Our left mid Boco had a painfully bad season, Banton had a 2/10 season, and for all Alessandra's qualities, crossing isn't one of them.

Morgan is far from a bad player, but I don't think he fits in with Sheridan's style of play at all. JS hasn't really done a lot to accommodate him either. Play him in a central role and whip good crosses into him, put two athletic players of movement to run off him and we could see a fantastic team. But Reid is too entrenched in the team now, with good reason, and I just don't see a system with Reid and Morgan, except for perhaps a flat 4-4-2, where both can both be successful in the same starting XI.

It has to go down as a failure on Sheridan to not get the best out of Morgan, rather than a failure of Marvin, if he finishes this season with another pathetic goal tally. Considering Morgan is one of the top earners at the club, and a renowned League Two targetman - Sheridan has to ask himself why he signed him? To play him left wing, or to be Reuben Reid's sub? Sheridan hasn't got the best out of him, it's as simple as that, and I agree he is a waste of a good wage to be in the reserves.

Yeah, i was at Brum too and he and Argyle looked good that night...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marvin Morgan... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvin Morgan...   Marvin Morgan... Empty

Back to top Go down

Marvin Morgan...
Page 1 of 1