Dougie
green_genie
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
green_genie

green_genie

Peter Hartley signs Empty
PostSubject: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 1:39 pm

bag o' link

Looks another decent signing and a squad is actually taking shape
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Nice

It feels that the club is quietly 'going for it' - promotion or bust
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 2:35 pm

With with HPP having gone tits up then this would appear to be his exit strategy, get out of this tin pot league and get shot, I'm all in favour, league 2 out, Brent out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 2:47 pm

I thought of Hartley after the rumour on Pasoti mentioning jam. Crazy to think he was transferred for a fee less than 12 months ago, before it all went wrong there.

Sheridan having a stormer this summer tbf.  cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Dougie wrote:
Nice

It feels that the club is quietly 'going for it' - promotion or bust

These signings certainly are of a cut above. But Sheridan made it clear that he was intending to trim the fat, condense the squad and improve the quality.

We released Blanchard, Trotman, Young, Cole, Branston, Parsons, Vassell and Boco, whilst Berry and Gurrieri rejected terms. Blanchard I would hazard to guess, was the highest paid player of the lot, but not on a terrific amount.

However since last season, Reuben has clearly negotiated himself a tidy pay rise - both on last season, and probably on what Yeovil were paying him. He will in all likelihood be the top earner at the club, now that the club have conceded to his valuation of himself.

We have taken on Deane Smalley, an all round forward of sorts. Before our forward line consisted of Reid, Morgan (largely injured), Lavery and Alessandra, so in Smalley have actually taken on an additional contracted striker.

Lee Cox has come into the midfield on a permanent deal. We couldn't/wouldn't agree to cover half of his wages at Swindon, so he comes more accustomed to a decent wage packet than Young or Gurrieri.

At the back we have now signed McHugh and Hartley - one a Republic of Ireland U21, with a promotion and a cup final under his belt, and a much appreciated player from League One level. The other a dominant well established defender from League One with a good reputation - also coming into the prime of his career at 26 years of age. Almost definitely a large increase in expenditure on the wages used on Trotman and Blanchard.

So as to whether the budgets balance on last season, even with the fewer players coming in than out, I am pretty doubtful. This is a deliberate promotion strategy requiring investment from somewhere (Wrathall?).

But all in all it's a buzzing feeling. The ambition we have shown this summer has put a bit of pride back into the club. Big players do want to come and play here. We aren't feeding off the scraps, as we have been accustomed to doing for as long as I can remember (since the first Sturrock spell probably) - we are competing, and dominating, in the transfer market.

The fact we have secured the spine of the team before the start of pre-season, before the annual end of contracts, is worth applauding. McCormick > Nelson > Hartley > McHugh > Cox > Reid: The starting spine of the team, all signed up for the next two seasons. If we can get Hourihane signed up for another year, the future will look very secure.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm

quote:

So as to whether the budgets balance on last season, even with the fewer players coming in than out, I am pretty doubtful. This is a deliberate promotion strategy requiring investment from somewhere (Wrathall?).

Moi :
Either another walleted director about to announced, or more loans from the reluctant one. Shit or bust I suppose. At least attendances will creep up to around 10k if we're up there, particularly after Christmas. Bleddy plastics everywhere and no bleddy grandstand..........Geddon !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 4:58 pm

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Shez was asking for the budget. It's hard to get your head around how we have gone from signing "good league 2 players" excuse me whilst I hawk and spit, to signing on paper at least, a squad that should be a good one to take us up. With a threadbare squad like this we won't have any room for players not working out and the odd one just won't fit in but the odd Lavery type loan signing and some momentum and we must be looking far stronger than last season. Whether it was Shez who told the board either do this or I'm off or whether the board have asked Shez what was needed to compete? I dunno at least the penny has reluctantly dropped.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Wonder if Hourihane will be here at the start of the season?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 5:50 pm

I think its more likely that Nelson will off. Lots of interest apparently and a figure of 300k would be realistic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Another jamboy for Tring to moan about  Very Happy 

On a serious note, another promising signing by league 2's deadliest duo, Brenty & Shezza.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Not quite sure why every thread has to be turned round to bashing the owner but each to their own.

He's a decent enough centre back and 'leader' for our level, the right age and with higher league experience. It's another piece in the jigsaw, secured early.

Maybe all the politics you guys obsess over just ain't my bag, for me I just see a decent signing. I don't feel compelled to turn something positive into an opportunity to kick the cat.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I think, Smiffy... It all boils down to where the money is coming from for these signings?

Politics is money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:55 pm

I have a feeling this will prove to be a huge signing for us, the type of player who we have lacked for years.

Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 pm

X Isle wrote:
Not quite sure why every thread has to be turned round to bashing the owner but each to their own.

He's a decent enough centre back and 'leader' for our level, the right age and with higher league experience. It's another piece in the jigsaw, secured early.

Maybe all the politics you guys obsess over just ain't my bag, for me I just see a decent signing. I don't feel compelled to turn something positive into an opportunity to kick the cat.

Completely agree - no ambition! Hang on, too much ambition!

Rickler wrote:
I think, Smiffy... It all boils down to where the money is coming from for these signings?

Politics is money.

It all boils down to people who attend having a half decent side to watch - but then again, some of us don't watch. If that half decent side are winning games and scoring at home, more people will go and watch. Ambition! Too much ambition!

Yawn-worthy stuff as usual.

This is a very good signing indeed.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Can any of these new signings be a proper captain.....and can they also get verbal on the pitch and chiffy and organize when it's needed.....that would make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 7:13 am

Smiffy..................Still trusting in stapes ? 'No Tringy. Norris and Halmosi won't leave before the new season !' lol

Trust in Brent ? You cannot be serious affraid 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 9:21 am

Smiffy was loving the politics (whatever his carefully hidden strap line would have us believe) when Brenty rocked up reluctantly and rimmed him up the stairs with honesty, transparency and morality literally dripping from his tongue. We all saw it and you won't squirm out of it, backed the wrong horse now doesn't do politics, strangely familiar.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 10:28 am

It is true that there's a fair amount of anti-everything on here. The Hartley signing along with the other 4 and all contract extensions have been very exciting and on paper we're building a cracking team for league two. I'm buzzing to see these guys play!!

But naturally question marks hang over the club at the minute. Where has this added cash come from? Attendances weren't up greatly last season, so I doubt it's a significant boost in commercial revenue. Brent's other business' don't seem to be going great, so I doubt he's had any significant cash boost there either - else he might actually be able to get his development off the ground. I know he's apparently becoming more fond of the club and football in general, but I'm pessimistic as to whether he's fallen in love enough to start handing over his savings willy nilly. Maybe Wrathal is though? It certainly seems that the budget has grown, so where has this cash now come from? Maybe it's the same and maybe the released lot were overpaid for their quality? So I can understand why some are reserved, but the constant excuse to release digs at the owner or any of his friends doesn't really seem too just in the context of this thread. It's more of a bitch feat than a debate on here at times, which is a shame as the debates can be pretty good and insightful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 am

The thing is spoly that we were told when the last last cabboodle went tits up that we would never again take our eyes off the board and owner of the club, we were told that our new owner was transparent and open in a hitherto unheard of wave of morality and honesty, we were fed a lie and we are now pissed off.  Yes singing decent players is good news but we will never let up with the questioning of the reluctant one it's our job as fans, Our president and the club president told us so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 pm

spowell92 wrote:
It is true that there's a fair amount of anti-everything on here. The Hartley signing along with the other 4 and all contract extensions have been very exciting and on paper we're building a cracking team for league two. I'm buzzing to see these guys play!!

But naturally question marks hang over the club at the minute. Where has this added cash come from? Attendances weren't up greatly last season, so I doubt it's a significant boost in commercial revenue. Brent's other business' don't seem to be going great, so I doubt he's had any significant cash boost there either - else he might actually be able to get his development off the ground. I know he's apparently becoming more fond of the club and football in general, but I'm pessimistic as to whether he's fallen in love enough to start handing over his savings willy nilly. Maybe Wrathal is though? It certainly seems that the budget has grown, so where has this cash now come from? Maybe it's the same and maybe the released lot were overpaid for their quality? So I can understand why some are reserved, but the constant excuse to release digs at the owner or any of his friends doesn't really seem too just in the context of this thread. It's more of a bitch feat than a debate on here at times, which is a shame as the debates can be pretty good and insightful.

When you've experienced decades of gut wrenching disappointment, bullshit from those who pull the strings at the club and an enormous outlay of emotional and financial commitment like many on this forum you may feel slightly less optimistic about a few new signings. Yes it is promising but nothing more, your youthful glass half full attitude is fantastic and I'm sure we were all like that in the dim and distant past but preaching to the more battle weary among us is somewhat naive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

BTW spowell, please don't confuse my caution with a lack of support or desire for the club to succeed.

GREEN ARMY  jocolor 
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Good signing, we now need a RB and LB/ Covering defender. For years Argyle have had big squads of average/ shit players looks like Shez is building a small squad of decent players- well done Mr Shez.
Back to top Go down
All the Presidents Men

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

spowell92 wrote:

You clearly are not up to speed spo, ask throbber - he was brent's media "max clifford" he'll tell you all brent promised, i'm sure he hasn't forgotten even tho' it is now removed from his strap line for some inexplicable, hard to fathom reason!

Has he delivered, yes, but only marginally better than failure at the moment, oh and he has driven a big fat wedge into the long suffering fans of this once wonderful outpost!

New, better players, hopefully!

I gave up my ST when it was clear we were paying top whack for a bottom whack squad who couldn't control that round thing they kept lumping everywhere but the onion bag!
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 2:17 pm

In today's local rag, Hartley has praised JS for his signings so early on.

"Ahead of the game", so he states.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 5:36 pm

'Media Max Clifford' Laughing

I've never met James Brent, never taken a gratuity, never peddled anything for anyone else, just given my own personal opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine, but whether it's about me, James Brent or anything for that matter, a falsehood peddled doth not make a falsehood true.

The truth, from the horses mouth, can be found within my signature if you give a sufficient shit to look for it. People have different opinions, I get that, but everyone else should too.

Signings like Hartley cause me to be quite upbeat about next season, I'd have thought most would be. I'm not having that good vibe kicked out of me just because of the hang-up's and blinkers of others. Sorry, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peter Hartley signs   Peter Hartley signs Empty

Back to top Go down

Peter Hartley signs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next