Czarcasm
Damon.Lenszner
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal Empty
PostSubject: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Good news.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Very good news
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Credit where credits due here. This is really great news. I didn't expect us to be able to compete in the wages stakes. Delighted to be wrong!

Getting decent players tied down early doors is something we've not been accustomed to in recent years. Well done Shezza!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Proper striker - happy to take my seat more often next season now, w cheers ell done all involved!!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Great news!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Well well blow me! I was convinced he would go elsewhere. Anybody who thinks that Shez isn't the man for us needs a re think. Players want to play for him it would seem, let's hit the ground running and storm this poxy league next year!
They say there's no plan B but I seriously wonder if this is it, get up the leagues quick so Brent can get his loans back.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Interesting that Berry & Gurrieri have both said no.......I assume they weren't offered a better contract.

Maybe the money went to Reid......and Sheridan thinks he can do better by replacing the other two.

It would be novel to actually bring in a left footed left-back.....maybe that might happen.....plus a bit more engine room power in mid-field.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Such great news. The prospect of replacing him was daunting. Athletes like him just don't exist at this level - six foot tall, built like a brick outhouse, reasonable in the air, excellent hold up player, solid touch and a good range of passing, can run like a deer, and gets hard accurate shots on target.

The fact he was fit enough to start 51 matches last season (+2 sub appearances), and scored 21 goals, all add immensely to his value and worth. This bloke doesn't do injuries - he doesn't fall out of form. He is ready, fit, able and reliable from the first game to the last.

If Reuben hadn't signed we would have been up the creek without a paddle. Presumably he earned a contract more towards his terms with his deliberating, but Sheridan knew that we didn't have much choice but concede. What options did we have otherwise - 9 goal Smalley who can't hold the ball up, or 1 goal Marvin?

Well done all at the club for getting the biggest part of the Plymouth Argyle jigsaw sorted - our starting number 9 for the 2014/15 season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Well that's a surprise!

Good news and well done Shez and Brent for getting the deal done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:22 pm

ejh wrote:
Such great news. The prospect of replacing him was daunting. Athletes like him just don't exist at this level - six foot tall, built like a brick outhouse, reasonable in the air, excellent hold up player, solid touch and a good range of passing, can run like a deer, and gets hard accurate shots on target.

The fact he was fit enough to start 51 matches last season (+2 sub appearances), and scored 21 goals, all add immensely to his value and worth. This bloke doesn't do injuries - he doesn't fall out of form. He is ready, fit, able and reliable from the first game to the last.

If Reuben hadn't signed we would have been up the creek without a paddle. Presumably he earned a contract more towards his terms with his deliberating, but Sheridan knew that we didn't have much choice but concede. What options did we have otherwise - 9 goal Smalley who can't hold the ball up, or 1 goal Marvin?

Well done all at the club for getting the biggest part of the Plymouth Argyle jigsaw sorted - our starting number 9 for the 2014/15 season.

Careful ejh, That's stretching it a bit, He didn't really find any sort of form until the second half of the season, Before that he was being critisized by large sections of the support and Sheridan deserves massive credit for sticking with him.

Very pleased he's signed but i'll be surprised if he hits 20 next season, Here's hoping  Smile 
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Great stuff, it flicks the optimism-o-meter up nicely for next season, it would've gone the other way had he gone elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Were not used to good news are we? I'm still in shock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Good news indeed, certainly makes the coming season a bit brighter
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Great news!

Unless it's all our eggs in one basket?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Signing Reid is a welcome move if only to avoid the shitstorm that would have followed had he left.

And I say that as somebody who was supportive of Reid when many others were calling him fat, lazy and useless.

His goal tally speaks for itself.

Great news.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

He's probably got a knee injury.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Quite surprised by this as I thought he'd go to the Turnips or Pompey, so well done Shez, Brent  affraid  etc for getting a decent League 2 striker in.

Squad is shaping up nicely- Gurrieri was versatile but played below average in most positions, Berry was an ok RB but has no crossing ability and was often caught out of position. Hopefully we can replace both with better- maybe O'Toole to replace Gurrieri (if we can afford the wages?), Ross Jenkins (previous loanee from Watford) is also available but I would imagine would be beyond our wage budget.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
He's probably got a knee injury.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 pm

ejh wrote:

And don't forget Wotton! He can run like a deer (an old dear!)

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Been away but what a completely unexpected bit of good news to come back to! Was certain he would sign for a far more ambitious club like Oxford Utd or Portsmouth.

Br*nt must still be immediately removed from the club though

BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

Meanwhile, down on the farm, Graham Clark makes a perfectly valid observation and is jumped upon by the flat earth brigade, in the form of Upside Down Andy,Graiser, Ollieargyle9 and Pasties n Cider.When will these dimwits ever learn ? What a Face 

Porkie has enough low cunning to avoid annoying the educated wanker.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 am

From the farm :
Don't_Panic wrote:
Sam as you've just said you believe the 17,700 capacity would be sufficient for now & I feel most likely league 1 & if (it's by no means guaranteed in football & won't be an easy task) we do get back up to the championship how many more seats do you think we'd need?
I'm not going to disagree that we won't have issues with some demand exceeding supply, that'd be foolish, but depending on how we do in the league like last time you may then see the crowds decrease but if they do stay high won't the possible development of the devonpirt be a more justifiable cost as the seats would actually be needed then they are now?

The next point in the past that has been raised is the issue of "when we reach the Premier League?" we'll need a much larger ground. The argument that if you don't aim for that then you have no ambition, by all means that's what every club should aim for but realistically, hand on heart if you really, really, really had to answer honestly do you see us reaching it any time soon if at all? I'd love to see us there & don't give up the dream of doing so but I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking about it now or is it even on my radar, I get that the likes of Hull & Swansea have done that & well done to them but football doesn't work like that because if it did every bugger would be trying to build a new stadium every 20 years (tongue in cheek) Don't forget they had better financial supprt with these stadiums & were built from scratch at a new location, maybe if we had that situation then I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about a 17,700 capacity. This isn't aimed just at you Sam just that you do seem to be a decent poster who doesn't go too off on one so wanted to justify why I see it differently & maybe what you think?

Spowell:
How many would we need? I'm not too sure to be honest DP, who know how many we could have sold tickets to for that QPR game? I certainly wouldn't say any less than we had previously. A successful season can see an enormous rise in ticket sales just in the 3rd tier for us.

The issue I have of the once we get there then we can spend 10mil on a poor quality extension is that by the time the expansion is raised the demand will likely be lost. If a casual fan is locked out of a high demand match then I doubt they'll be too disappointed. They'll go home, do something else and'll probably forget all about Argyle. But if we want higher attendances/more money/greater success at the club then we have to be aiming to turn that casual fan into a semi-regular fan and then maybe even a regular ST holder. I doubt many on here jumped straight in with a season ticket before ever attending a match, it's a gradual process of fandom I guess.

Brent's aims are to get us into the 2nd tier and make us sustainable. It's a solid idea, but his plan to do it is flawed IMO. Personally I feel he should be building with expansion in mind, he's not doing this. He's building with expansion as someone else's mess to deal with once he's long gone. The stand should be designed to allow an easy (as easy as such a thing could be) and affordable expansion that would raise the ground's capacity to at least what it once was around the 20k mark.

IJN wrote:
How many more times can you say it Sam? We know what you think, I think we got that the 50th time, let alone the 66th and 80th.

There's not many that disagree about the size issue, so why go on and on about it. Blimey, you'll be blogging next!  Twisted Evil

Spowell:
I responded to Don't Panic's question...  🇪🇭

IJN:

You must have hated it.  :greensmile:

spowell92

Ian, sorry but I've not idea what you are on about or trying to say? :crazy:

Me:
And well tried Sam. Talking of Swansea and Hull's new grounds and how they inspired the latent fanbases [no greater than Argyle's btw], Home Park has a fantastic location already and if the ground is developed with the 'wow factor' and the potential to go bigger, it will have the same effect on attendances as a new build anyway.

We don't want brent's blunder full stop. When he's cleared off or maybe before, a partnership of Council, Trust, Wealthy fans as directors and the wider fanbase being offered a share issue could well get things done right.

The attitude of the likes of Don't Panic, Porkie,Upside down andy, Pasties etc etc etc is exactly what has alienated me from physically supporting the club any more. It just seems so dead end, needy and frankly, infuriating. But as long as there are fanfests, photoshoots of bucket rattlers and the directors' box experience,small minded people will push for a small minded, parochial solution.

Last edited by Tringreen on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 am

It has long been my contention that justifiable, genuine, sensible "investment" needs to be made in the off-pitch areas rather than on-pitch: training facilities; coaching; youth programme; stadium. It's not sexy and won't immediately score many goals and nor will it win cup ties or move us up the league but nonetheless it is essential for the club to progress and to exploit that progress when it happens. Without it all we will ever see is a flash in the pan.

It's the primary reason I have never been one to call for massive cash to be splurged on the team either in terms of wages or transfer fees. Nor have I ever urged the club to spend beyond its means. Quite the reverse, in fact. I want to see an ethically sound club run according to principles that do not embarrass me as a supporter.

And if we get that then all the success we want will, I am certain, follow leading to the eventual recruitment of those high-profile, expensive players that we'll require to either maintain or further that progress. It won't be quick but, properly managed, it will work in the end.

That does not mean that we don't have to spend anything on the 1st XI though. Obviously we do and it is a tricky balancing act because the short term (coaching, team, now), medium (stadium, coaching) and long term (youth, coaching) goals all need to be set - and then met.

So sound financial governance is absolutely essential. Without it we end up where we are now and where we have been in the recent past: plummeting down the leagues; selling/giving away our best talent; recruiting dross; perpetually fighting relegation; knocked out of cups by teams that we should be beating; jeopardising the very future existence of the club.

The head-in-the-sanders can bleat on all they like about "get it right on the pitch and all else will follow" but they are wrong and COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. The last time we "got it right on the pitch" we climbed two divisions, paid high transfer fees, signed expensively paid players and packed the ground out but how did that end up for us? It just isn't about on-pitch v off-pitch at all... both are equally important.

Those things, and each and every one of them was down to piss poor management at boardroom level, must never be allowed to happen again. We must never just trust those who own our club because they say so. We must never take our eye off the ball.

And that means scouring accounts, balance sheets, spreadsheets, press statements, Companies House, The London Gazette etc and querying every last thing "they" (meaning whoever owns the club - the idea that this is some personal vendetta against James Brent is pure, errant fabrication promulgated by idiots to create a smokescreen) do. And to do that today, tomorrow and every day afterwards without any respite at all.

Is it boring? Yes, you're damned right it is. Is it essential? Yes, and it has never been more so.

Isn't that much blindingly obvious?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:06 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
It has long been my contention that justifiable, genuine, sensible "investment" needs to be made in the off-pitch areas rather than on-pitch: training facilities; coaching; youth programme; stadium. It's not sexy and won't immediately score many goals and nor will it win cup ties or move us up the league but nonetheless it is essential for the club to progress and to exploit that progress when it happens. Without it all we will ever see is a flash in the pan.

It's the primary reason I have never been one to call for massive cash to be splurged on the team either in terms of wages or transfer fees. Nor have I ever urged the club to spend beyond its means. Quite the reverse, in fact. I want to see an ethically sound club run according to principles that do not embarrass me as a supporter.

And if we get that then all the success we want will, I am certain, follow leading to the eventual recruitment of those high-profile, expensive players that we'll require to either maintain or further that progress. It won't be quick but, properly managed, it will work in the end.

That does not mean that we don't have to spend anything on the 1st XI though. Obviously we do and it is a tricky balancing act because the short term (coaching, team, now), medium (stadium, coaching) and long term (youth, coaching) goals all need to be set - and then met.

So sound financial governance is absolutely essential. Without it we end up where we are now and where we have been in the recent past: plummeting down the leagues; selling/giving away our best talent; recruiting dross; perpetually fighting relegation; knocked out of cups by teams that we should be beating; jeopardising the very future existence of the club.

The head-in-the-sanders can bleat on all they like about "get it right on the pitch and all else will follow" but they are wrong and COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. The last time we "got it right on the pitch" we climbed two divisions, paid high transfer fees, signed expensively paid players and packed the ground out but how did that end up for us? It just isn't about on-pitch v off-pitch at all... both are equally important.

Those things, and each and every one of them was down to piss poor management at boardroom level, must never be allowed to happen again. We must never just trust those who own our club because they say so. We must never take our eye off the ball.

And that means scouring accounts, balance sheets, spreadsheets, press statements, Companies House, The London Gazette etc and querying every last thing "they" (meaning whoever owns the club - the idea that this is some personal vendetta against James Brent is pure, errant fabrication promulgated by idiots to create a smokescreen) do. And to do that today, tomorrow and every day afterwards without any respite at all.

Is it boring? Yes, you're damned right it is. Is it essential? Yes, and it has never been more so.

Isn't that much blindingly obvious?

I agree with the main points of your post but the highlighted bit is just a rather ludicrous and misleading rewrite of history.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am

Good effort by the media bods for once - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Reubens 21 goals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal   Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal Empty

Back to top Go down

Reuben Signs 2 Year Deal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next