Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Amazing atmosphere

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7eCHSPkcE8

Something we can only ever dream of!
Back to top Go down

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Argyle fans always pat themselves on the back for the atmosphere.

But to me it is disappointing - it is nothing like it was 10 - 15 years ago.

You try to spread the atmosphere now, just surrounded by fans who sit there arms folded without saying a word.

Just a complimentary 'COYG' when we get a corner, or join in the 'Argyyyyle' when we score, if you are lucky.

I remember going to shitholes like Kidderminster in the late 1990s when we were midtable, and all 500 odd fans there were singing. Home games in the old Devonport were always loud.

Somehow we have lost that culture whereby following Argyle carried a duty and an expectation to sing and be noisy.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:27 pm

ejh wrote:
Argyle fans always pat themselves on the back for the atmosphere.

But to me it is disappointing - it is nothing like it was 10 - 15 years ago.

You try to spread the atmosphere now, just surrounded by fans who sit there arms folded without saying a word.

Just a complimentary 'COYG' when we get a corner, or join in the 'Argyyyyle' when we score, if you are lucky.

I remember going to shitholes like Kidderminster in the late 1990s when we were midtable, and all 500 odd fans there were singing. Home games in the old Devonport were always loud.

Somehow we have lost that culture whereby following Argyle carried a duty and an expectation to sing and be noisy.

No standing, beer or fags. PC / health n safety gestapo. Plastic stadiums. Don't care if I never attend another football match.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

I think you do care Tring, you spend far too much time on here than enjoying your Cypriot sun not to care  Wink 

I agree with what you say though. 3/4 of the ground is soulless, plastic and push a fair way back from the pitch. Our grandstand is even further divided from the rest of the ground and is as atmospheric as a graveyard. The empty mayflower steps that lie in front epitomises the current character of Home Park.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm

The erosion of the manual working class base.....i.e. Engineering and manufacturing,mining, the big dockyard areas....plus so many diverse other things to do as leisure pastimes....more money to spend on other things....TV,electrical goods, holidays etc.

Atmosphere has been diluted by seating as well......Millwall in the 1950/60s........Port of London dockies leaving work and going to the den...via the pub.....noisy,intimidating atmosphere.....Millwall nor particularly a very good away side.....but in the hostility of the den with all those dockworkers a nerve wracking experience which help bring that 59 game unbeaten run....wearing green there was not condoned....especially by the police, very tribal.
Back to top Go down

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Yet people nowadays Mank and moan when a young fat head gets pissed and gobs off at the team! The thing is 15 years ago you wouldn't have heard him unless he was stood next to you. Irrelevant innit.
Another story that cracked me up was on the farm when they said that a blow up doll was being passed around the crowd. The stewards confiscated it and as one of them took her off down the tunnel the Pompey boys all sang, "your taking her home, your taking her home, you dirty bastard your taking her home!" funny as fook in my eyes and that kind of thing will make a dour game memorable yet we had people moaning because it happened IN FRONT OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN! Bring the little darlings round my gaff and I'll teach them a bit of Anglo Saxon, lol.
Back to top Go down

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I like having an atmosphere Iggy, the terrace humour, the loud and raucous banter ... not so nostalgic about fans literally screaming loud and constant abuse at the top of their lungs at OUR OWN players, calling them feckin cnuts for 90 mins, or throwing coins and bananas at them like the 1980s.

The lad at Pompey was no throwback though, he would have been grating in any era.
Back to top Go down

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere EmptyThu May 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Whoahhh there who the feck is talking nostalgically about throwing bananas at players FFS? I hope that I'm not being accused of being a racist as well as a hoolie?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amazing atmosphere Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazing atmosphere   Amazing atmosphere Empty

Back to top Go down

Amazing atmosphere
Page 1 of 1