Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can we leave the politics out of this, please?

Go down 
+10
Freathy
Coxside_Green
Dick Trickle
seadog
Han Solos Other Ship
Peggy
Tringreen
Richard Blight
HD
Sir Francis Drake
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Can we leave the politics out of this, please? Empty
PostSubject: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 4:22 pm

No, we can't.

And even if we could that in itself would be a political stance to take and so it's as illogical as it is impossible and re-defines the words "self-defeating" for us.

On this day, of all days, some of the words of the late Tony Benn are worth remembering: "Who is telling me this and why are they telling it to me?" The answer to both parts of the question are so obvious they don't actually need typing but I'll put them at the end of this post anyway.

Other variants thereof are out there too: "I'm sick of the off-field politics." Aren't we all!

"I just want to support the XI in green." As though the rest of us don't support the XI in green.

"I just want to rock up to HP tomorrow and cheer the boys on." Well... Me too except I'd like to do that next week, next month, next year and for years to come after that as well.

Many years ago it was possible to totally ignore the "politics" partly because the internet didn't shine it's light into the murkier corners and partly because a meekly compliant local press often hushed up anything that might have been controversial so not only couldn't you, perhaps, do anything about it but you probably didn't even know a problem existed if it did. Of course many years ago everybody knew their place and wouldn't dream of questioning their betters.

And we all now know where that leads and it leads to exactly the same place that looking someone in the eye to see whether or not they are trustworthy does.

All that cap doffing, reverential respect has been blown away, mostly by the deeds and actions of those who enjoyed that respect, and those days will not return - and nor should they. They are gone forever because so few characters exist today to whom unconditional loyalty can be shown and in whom such faith and trust can be placed. I suppose Argyle was lucky to ever have had one at all in the person of Michael Foot and it was the board on which he served that has proved to be the last to enjoy such unequivocal trust from the terraces. Is there anybody out there who could fill his boots today? Is there even anybody out there fit to shine his boots today? No. It is openness and transparency that engenders trust these days, as opposed to maniacal control freakery which destroys it, and it is company accounts and balance sheets that need careful examination if we are to assume that any club is sustainable in such a way that inspires us to commit our time, emotion and money to it as it would like us to.

So it is impossible, naive and undesirable to ignore the "politics" because it is the "politics" that either creates or destroys the trust and it is absolutely essential that that trust is in place before the "politics" can be safely ignored.

I can't help but feel that anybody actually making the "politics" argument either has a guilty conscience and has something to hide or is a complete idiot or has completely lost the debate. Or all three. And knows it.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
HD

HD

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Wow!  :Good Post SFD I hope everyone reads this and I do mean everyone pig
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Thumbs 
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Educated w@nker.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Abso-bleddy-lutely spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Smashed it out the park there
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Good post/ Time to move on*

Delete as appropriate
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Good post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Top bombing SFD - Echos many on this site I'm sure, realistic when viewed against the Pres dollop!! Thumbs 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Sort of applies to argyle, politics and most other things
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Wot, no more postboxes ? no more buttering up the squire ?
People love politics when they want to climb. Not so happy when they want to cling.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm

If there's a tombstone big enough PAFC will have that written on it. Well done SFD. Eloquently written and in the modern parlance "nail on head".

Most on this site are not anti-Argyle. FFS I experienced that unbridled joy of hugging a complete stranger on Tuesday as we happened to be sat next to each other as Hourihane's shot went in.

We love this club, we just don't like people taking us for a ride and it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are merely a pawn in a posh boys game.

If Brent truly fucks this up I fear for the future of football in Plymouth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
If there's a tombstone big enough PAFC will have that written on it. Well done SFD. Eloquently written and in the modern parlance "nail on head".

Most on this site are not anti-Argyle. FFS I experienced that unbridled joy of hugging a complete stranger on Tuesday as we happened to be sat next to each other as Hourihane's shot went in.

We love this club, we just don't like people taking us for a ride and it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are merely a pawn in a posh boys game.

You really are a bitter lot.

The milk of human kindness obviously does not extend as far as on here it seems!!

Vile forum.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Keep eating the shit DB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:20 pm

dungbeetle wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

The milk of human kindness obviously does not extend as far as on here it seems!!

Vile forum.

Pig Pig Pig 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:21 pm

dungbeetle wrote:

Vile forum.

You're right, of course.

The first time I saw a dung-beetle was from a car as we were driving through Nairobi Game Park. I was going to get out & take a photo but as there were baboons & lions around I decided not to. Fascinating animals - they eat shit & seem to thrive on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 pm

PS I always think it's ironic that VILE is an anagram of EVIL & LIVE. But I'll draw a veil over further discussion of that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:40 pm

dungbeetle wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Vile forum.

Cheers darling.

Love you too.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 pm

What alternative is there to being vigilant?

Should we just unquestioningly accept everything we are told even after being told things that are obviously untrue?

Having been deliberately deceived and misled once, twice, three times should we shelve all suspicion that a fourth, fifth and sixth are likely to follow? Eighth, ninth or tenth?

I'm sure we'll all feel feckin marvellous when, just after having sleep-walked (slept-walked, maybe?) into oblivion, someone pipes up "Gosh! Didn't expect that to happen. Oh well."

And it could all have been so very, very different.

It should have been so very, very different.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

There seems to be a common theme that the AFT can't support the team *and* keep watch.

SFD sums up why this is nonsense very eloquently.

At tomorrow's AFT meeting we will discuss 'positive' activities, but we won't take our eye off the financial ball.

Oh, and whether you agreed with their views or not, Foot and Benn had integrity and stayed true to their values, where politicians today far too often blow with the wind to curry favour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 pm

dungbeetle wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Vile forum.
 albino 
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 am

It's a bit 8 years too late.

Wrathalls back in.

Frank gets information from...

People he once supported?

Nobody but Frank is being fed information which becomes true.

Round and round the mulberry bush...

I'm just putting this out there because

Nobody else has

Welcome back Mr Stapleton?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 10:06 am

dungbeetle wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Vile forum.

lol! lol! lol! lol! clown 
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 10:10 am

Posts like these cement atd as the thinking argyle fans forum...which may explain why there's only a few of us.

Educated wankers one and all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can we leave the politics out of this, please?   Can we leave the politics out of this, please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can we leave the politics out of this, please?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next