Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A good thing or a huge gamble?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

A good thing or a huge gamble? Empty
PostSubject: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 3:58 pm

BT Sport win the rights to Champions League and Europa League for almost £1b

Im unsure about this. on one hand i think its too huge a purchase at the price BT paid when BT Sport hasnt been around that long and seeing their subscriber list they havent really made that big an impact so far and if BT Sport goes the way of Itv Sport/Setanta and ESPN the ramifications could be costly throughout football. On the other hand its good that Sky Sports has some competition at last.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

It's funny because BT said they were willing to pay more and Sky said it was much more than they would've paid so either they're both fibbing a little bit or BT are confident that they will gain enough subscriptions from it to start raking in the cash.

Virgin have taken a hit on BT Sport and offer it free to anyone with their biggest packages and offered it to me for just £5 a month which I thought was worth trying at that price.

It'll be us who lose out eventually. Sky say they are going to concentrate on other programmes like dramas and comedies but I hardly look at the Sky listing to see what they are showing other than sport or on Sky Arts. I've yet to see a comedy made for Sky that I want to watch other than the Karl Pilkington Idiot Abroad series.

I can see in a few years time that you will need subscriptions to Sky, Virgin, BT Sport and even a BBC Sport service, which surely can't be far away now, in order to watch every Premier League and Champions League game live. Same with Internationals. The World Cup and European Championships won't be exclusive to terrestrial TV for much longer I don't think.

I've not watched much on BT Sport yet but really I don't bother much with the build up to games anyway. I watch Premier League games sometimes but just put it on the right channel at kick-off time so who is giving the expert analysis and telling us what we already know for £500k a year is a bit irrelevant.

I did catch Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves wearing white soled shoes to show the viewers what a mini football pitch looked like before one game, which probably cost BT a fortune to have installed inside the studio and still can't work out why it was there scratch 
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm

stupid, plain stupid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Greenjock wrote:
It's funny because BT said they were willing to pay more and Sky said it was much more than they would've paid so either they're both fibbing a little bit or BT are confident that they will gain enough subscriptions from it to start raking in the cash.

Virgin have taken a hit on BT Sport and offer it free to anyone with their biggest packages and offered it to me for just £5 a month which I thought was worth trying at that price.

It'll be us who lose out eventually. Sky say they are going to concentrate on other programmes like dramas and comedies but I hardly look at the Sky listing to see what they are showing other than sport or on Sky Arts. I've yet to see a comedy made for Sky that I want to watch other than the Karl Pilkington Idiot Abroad series.

I can see in a few years time that you will need subscriptions to Sky, Virgin, BT Sport and even a BBC Sport service,  which surely can't be far away now, in order to watch every Premier League and Champions League game live. Same with Internationals. The World Cup and European Championships won't be exclusive to terrestrial TV for much longer I don't think.

I've not watched much on BT Sport yet but really I don't bother much with the build up to games anyway. I watch Premier League games sometimes but just put it on the right channel at kick-off time so who is giving the expert analysis and telling us what we already know for £500k a year is a bit irrelevant.

I did catch Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves wearing white soled shoes to show the viewers what a mini football pitch looked like before one game, which probably cost BT a fortune to have installed inside the studio and still can't work out why it was there scratch 
To me BT Sport seems more like a tv program than a tv channel in the way its presented if know what i mean. I find some of it more patronizing than informative including the glass floor.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Just another cash cow in my opinion and paid way over the odds apparently.
I was also informed that although these media companies make money from subscriptions the main infrastructure is paid for by the government and is one of the reasons that the funds to upgrade are not forth coming.
How much these companies pay to use it I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

bad bad bad. watch the uk have only one professional league in a few years time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:55 pm

We have more than one professional league now?
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 pm

apparently so. one for professional tw@s, one for professional languishers, and one for professional decoraters. the other two are for property developers, all alledgedly of course
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good thing or a huge gamble?   A good thing or a huge gamble? Empty

Back to top Go down

A good thing or a huge gamble?
Page 1 of 1