Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 The Road Rage Thread

Go down 
+11
Mock Cuncher
greensleeves
LondonGreen
seadog
pepsipete
mannameadbabe
Peggy
hippo
Czarcasm
mouldyoldgoat
green_genie
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 am

So what's the idea of a speed camera, is it to save lives and injury, save the road surface, raise income etc?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Posts : 9404
Join date : 2011-10-23

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 am

Probably a combo of all of those, but predominantly the last one I recks.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:12 am

GOB wrote:
So what's the idea of a speed camera, is it to save lives and injury, save the road surface, raise income etc?
Iv'e listened to many an argument on this very subject, Gob. No overall consensus seems ever to be reached on this subject. My personal take on this is that initially they were implemented in a genuine attempt to reduce injuries/accidents and generally slow traffic down.

As time has gone by, surveys and statistics have proven that where ever these speed cameras are placed this has not been the case in a lot of instances.

Reluctant to admit they haven't worked, local authorities and or the police ( I don't know who has over all control of these cameras) they have been kept going as a stealth cash cow, In my opinion.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Posts : 14772
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 82
Location : Ivybridge

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 am

You could always drive within the speed limit, then you would never get caught, regardless.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

pepsipete wrote:
You could always drive within the speed limit,  then you would never get caught, regardless.
In an ideal world, yes, you could Pete. I think all drivers are guilty of lapsing in their attention to speed some time or other. Me included.Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
GOB wrote:
So what's the idea of a speed camera, is it to save lives and injury, save the road surface, raise income etc?
Iv'e listened to many an argument on this very subject, Gob. No overall consensus seems ever to be reached on this subject. My personal take on this is that initially they were implemented in a genuine attempt to reduce injuries/accidents and generally slow traffic down.

As time has gone by, surveys and statistics have proven that where ever these speed cameras are placed this has not been the case in a lot of instances.

Reluctant to admit they haven't worked, local authorities and or the police ( I don't know who has over all control of these cameras) they have been kept going as a stealth cash cow, In my opinion.
hardly stealth though are they? bright frickin yellow and raised above the usual roadside clutter.

just slow down

imagine killing someone, see how people react to you..a la mccormick. you may not be pissed but its the same outcome.

i drive btw, so im not on some sanctimonious holier than thou mission
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
Person Of Interest wrote:
GOB wrote:
So what's the idea of a speed camera, is it to save lives and injury, save the road surface, raise income etc?
Iv'e listened to many an argument on this very subject, Gob. No overall consensus seems ever to be reached on this subject. My personal take on this is that initially they were implemented in a genuine attempt to reduce injuries/accidents and generally slow traffic down.

As time has gone by, surveys and statistics have proven that where ever these speed cameras are placed this has not been the case in a lot of instances.

Reluctant to admit they haven't worked, local authorities and or the police ( I don't know who has over all control of these cameras) they have been kept going as a stealth cash cow, In my opinion.
hardly stealth though are they? bright frickin yellow and raised above the usual roadside clutter.

just slow down

imagine killing someone, see how people react to you..a la mccormick. you may not be pissed but its the same outcome.

i drive btw, so im not on some sanctimonious holier than thou mission
You'e right. Stealth was a poor choice of words as obviously they're not very 'stealthy'. The cash cow/revenue earner still stands though.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 pm

only from idiot drivers
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
only from idiot drivers
Idiot drivers? Are you saying who ever get's caught by one of these cameras are idiots? If so I think that's a bit unfair. The best of drivers can have a momentary lapse of concentration for a split second. That's all it takes.

I got caught a few years ago now mind you. It was on the Embankment. My wife suddenly started feeling really unwell - obviously all of my attention was focused on her. At that time I had no idea how fast I was going or if there was a speed camera about. To be honest, given the situation I was faced with, I couldn't give a fcku if there was a camera there or not. Does that make me an idiot?

Let me put a scenario to you. Have you got kids, MD? Pets you carry around in the back? Any allergies? Medical conditions? If one of these things genuinely caused you to lapse in concentration for a split second and you were flashed by a Gatso, does that make you an idiot or unfortunate because your attention was diverted for a split second? In my opinion it wouldn't. I would say you were unlucky, and have my sympathy. You don't have to be speeding per se to get caught. D&C Police allow you 2 mph plus 3% over the limit to activate a Gatso.

Now going back to you succinct and short repost - I agree, that the over whelming percentage of drivers getting caught by fixed Gatso cameras, are idiots.


Last edited by Person Of Interest on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Posts : 14772
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 82
Location : Ivybridge

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm

There is a bloody great yellow box, most of the sites are known. Therefore if you are caught you are an idiot. I should know I was caught 3 times before I gave up driving, twice by the same camera. decided I was to much of an idiot to continue driving and gave it up.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 pm

pepsipete wrote:
There is a bloody great yellow box,  most of the sites are known.  Therefore if you are caught you are an idiot.  I should know I was caught 3 times before I gave up driving, twice by the same camera.  decided I was to much of an idiot to continue driving and gave it up.

I don't agree. To get caught three times though Pete - you should of gone to specsavers. Anyone can get caught if they are not concentrating 100%. Real life dictates that life is just not like that.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:12 am

Person Of Interest wrote:
Mapperley, darling wrote:
only from idiot drivers
Idiot drivers? Are you saying who ever get's caught by one of these cameras are idiots? If so I think that's a bit unfair. The best of drivers can have a momentary lapse of concentration for a split second. That's all it takes.

I got caught a few years ago now mind you. It was on the Embankment. My wife suddenly started feeling really unwell - obviously all of my attention was focused on her. At that time I had no idea how fast I was going or if there was a speed camera about. To be honest, given the situation I was faced with, I couldn't give a fcku if there was a camera there or not. Does that make me an idiot?

Let me put a scenario to you. Have you got kids, MD? Pets you carry around in the back? Any allergies? Medical conditions? If one of these things genuinely caused you to lapse in concentration for a split second and you were flashed by a Gatso, does that make you an idiot or unfortunate because your attention was diverted for a split second? In my opinion it wouldn't. I would say you were unlucky, and have my sympathy. You don't have to be speeding per se to get caught. D&C Police allow you 2 mph plus 3% over the limit to activate a Gatso.

Now going back to you succinct and short repost - I agree, that the over whelming percentage of drivers getting caught by fixed Gatso cameras, are idiots.

sorry to hear about your good lady, but in emergency situations wouldnt anyone pull over.?

people who speed in their, and there is no other word for it, 1-2 ton death machines ARE idiots. you may not get hurt but someone else will. its the im alright jack brigade that has run this country to its knees. speeding is just another example of this
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:14 am

Person Of Interest wrote:
pepsipete wrote:
There is a bloody great yellow box,  most of the sites are known.  Therefore if you are caught you are an idiot.  I should know I was caught 3 times before I gave up driving, twice by the same camera.  decided I was to much of an idiot to continue driving and gave it up.
I don't agree. To get caught three times though Pete - you should of gone to specsavers. Anyone can get caught if they are not concentrating 100%. Real life dictates that life is just not like that.
wrong again. you dont get caught if you arent speeding. its bloody simple.

losing your concentration for a second doesnt mean that your right foot gets heavier
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:52 am

Mapperley, darling wrote:
Person Of Interest wrote:
pepsipete wrote:
There is a bloody great yellow box,  most of the sites are known.  Therefore if you are caught you are an idiot.  I should know I was caught 3 times before I gave up driving, twice by the same camera.  decided I was to much of an idiot to continue driving and gave it up.
I don't agree. To get caught three times though Pete - you should of gone to specsavers. Anyone can get caught if they are not concentrating 100%. Real life dictates that life is just not like that.
wrong again.  you dont get caught if you arent speeding. its bloody simple.

losing your concentration for a second doesnt mean that your right foot gets heavier
Of course you don't get caught if you're not speeding, FFS, obvious? Duh!! That's like saying you won't go to prison if you don't do something wrong, or you won't drown if you remember to breath!

Your demeanor smacks of someone who has been effected by a speeding driver. Is this right? Did a speeding driver run over 'Dave' your Mongolian short-haired hamster?

You make out you're a saint and have never done fcku-all wrong behind the wheel, or even made a simple error of judgment. How wonderful it must be riding passenger in your car knowing that you'll be perfectly safe and nothing will ever happen to you because you are in complete, total control! I bet you're insurance exempt beccause you're that good, that safe.

Your right foot controls the gas pedal, right? Your foot relieves or applies pressure to make the car go go faster or slower, right? You need to concentrate, unless you're a robot, to apply to the correct amount of pressure on the pedal according to what speed you want to go, right? Are you telling me that you don't need to concentrate because you don't have to? because your foot controls you and not the other way around? You, my friend are fcking brilliant. you should patent your foot - you'll be worth millions.

Ged on 'Robofoot'lol! 

For you. remember me when you make your millions. www .ipo.gov.uk/types/patent.htm
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin
seadog

Posts : 12466
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 62
Location : @ sea or @home

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Same old shite, as Clarkson says the average speed ones are even more dangerous!

"Nobody tells me what to do" the mantra of the modern driver.

_______________________________________
Vote shit, get banged.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2013-03-24
Age : 23

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Earlier today, I was coming up the road through Ham Woods to turn right onto the A38. As I got up to the roundabout, a bloke on a motorbike came hammering down the off-slip from Budo, overtaking a line of cars waiting to turn, and straight onto the roundabout without even slowing down - the people in front of me had to slam their brakes on. Then, as he straightened up off the roundabout, he did a wheelie and hammered off down towards Camel's Head. I sincerely hope the police car that came along the A38 with lights and sirens on a couple of minutes later was on its way to stop him causing some serious injuries or worse.

Oh, and (a) if I'd had a passenger with me I'd have got them to call the police, and (b) not that I know much about these things, and he was going VERY fast, but it definitely wasn't a proper bike like what Gob and Aquila ride - I'd have said it was more like a trials bike or something.

But that's the trouble, No matter how good we all think we are at driving, there's always the occasional dangerous bastard out there.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 pm

"No matter how good we all think we are at driving, there's always the occasional dangerous bastard out there"

That's a huge part of the problem, Peggy. I drive defensively and more often than not, find myself driving for everyone else, trying to predict what shit manoeuvre they're going to pull.

Therefore not paying as much attention as I should to speed cameras. Therefore making me an idiot.clown 
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
Mapperley, darling wrote:
Person Of Interest wrote:
pepsipete wrote:
There is a bloody great yellow box,  most of the sites are known.  Therefore if you are caught you are an idiot.  I should know I was caught 3 times before I gave up driving, twice by the same camera.  decided I was to much of an idiot to continue driving and gave it up.
I don't agree. To get caught three times though Pete - you should of gone to specsavers. Anyone can get caught if they are not concentrating 100%. Real life dictates that life is just not like that.
wrong again.  you dont get caught if you arent speeding. its bloody simple.

losing your concentration for a second doesnt mean that your right foot gets heavier
Of course you don't get caught if you're not speeding, FFS, obvious? Duh!! That's like saying you won't go to prison if you don't do something wrong, or you won't drown if you remember to breath!

Your demeanor smacks of someone who has been effected by a speeding driver. Is this right? Did a speeding driver run over 'Dave' your Mongolian short-haired hamster?

You make out you're a saint and have never done fcku-all wrong behind the wheel, or even made a simple error of judgment. How wonderful it must be riding passenger in your car knowing that you'll be perfectly safe and nothing will ever happen to you because you are in complete, total control! I bet you're insurance exempt beccause you're that good, that safe.

Your right foot controls the gas pedal, right? Your foot relieves or applies pressure to make the car go go faster or slower, right? You need to concentrate, unless you're a robot, to apply to the correct amount of pressure on the pedal according to what speed you want to go, right? Are you telling me that you don't need to concentrate because you don't have to? because your foot controls you and not the other way around? You, my friend are fcking brilliant. you should patent your foot - you'll be worth millions.

Ged on 'Robofoot'lol! 

For you. remember me when you make your millions. www .ipo.gov.uk/types/patent.htm
all correct sir, Smile  except the part about being personally affected. your right foot also controls the brake pedal, which you have missed out of your wee rant.

what im trying to say is there is no reason to speed, if you think about others.

if you dont consider others whilst driving you ARE an idiot and deserve your fine and points. how someone can moan about being caught is beyond me. its NOBODY ELSES FAULT.

i try to behave with some decorum on the road, im not perfect and have, in the past, received points for speeding..which i accepted and didnt try to pin the blame elsewhere. thats where my beef is...its you own fault so stfu and slow down

gad, now i sound like a kid Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Sausages.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I know plenty of bad drivers that have never been caught on a speed camera and I know plenty of good drivers that have.

The moral of the story is, don't speed where there is a speed camera.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 7:06 pm

GOB wrote:
The moral of the story is, don't speed where there is a speed camera.
Unless you have just been overtaken by a egomaniac, flying a home-made space-ship, with wax models of James brent rammed up his arse shouting 'take me Jimmy', take meeeeeeeeeeeeeee'.albino 
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

Posts : 2780
Join date : 2012-01-03
Age : 43
Location : plymouth

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 8:22 pm

What I hate is when you go to a supermarket and they have a 20 pump petrol station the guy/women sits waiting for the next free pump. The thing is his filler cap is on the right but he wont move until the next pump is free on the right. #wanker.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Posts : 2345
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 52

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
Sausages.

Very Happy 

are we friends again?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Guest
Guest



The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 am

Mapperley, darling wrote:
Person Of Interest wrote:
Sausages.
Very Happy 

are we friends again?
Never in any doubt my old mucka. It's good to debate. If this was Pisspoti, either you or me would of been banned for offering a difference of opinion!!cat 
Back to top Go down
mcfry

mcfry

Posts : 532
Join date : 2013-01-01
Location : Plymouth

The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm

greensleeves wrote:
Marsh Mills roundabout is the only major roundabout in Plymouth without any yellow boxes.As a result traffic queuing up to get into Sainsbury's from whatever direction simply blocks up traffic wanting to go elsewhere.Why no yellow boxes.Any answers..
Manadon is another one that I can think of off-hand.
There are many road markings that have been put in place by our council that go against the highway code from when I learnt to drive.
You should always ask to see photo evidence before you admit to a speeding conviction.
As for making money there are a number of cameras that are concealed, be it by other signs or overhanging foliage. Also I notice that the fee for taking part in the speed awareness course has increased a fair bit and they are pretty pointless apart from not receiving the points. To sum up you are paying for the privilege of not receiving points, whether it is legally correct is another matter.

This may be useful
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Road Rage Thread   The Road Rage Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
The Road Rage Thread
Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: