Tringreen
Flat_Track_Bully
Han Solos Other Ship
mouldyoldgoat
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:03 am

I celebrate a win - any win. If we were to beat Arsenal that would be greater cause for celebration than if we beat Northampton. Until we are in a position to beat the best - maybe not in my lifetime - we have to make do with what's in front of us, unappetising as it appears to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:19 am

But I have to keep it "simples" so the uneducated can understand knecht.

My ambition is exactly that Freathy. To still be in the football league come next April. It's also to get promoted but I'd settle for the former if that's all there is at the minute. Is your ambition to be out of the football league then? If not then your's starts the same as mine.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 2:26 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

My ambition is exactly that Freathy.    To still be in the football league come next April.    It's also to get promoted but I'd settle for the former if that's all there is at the minute.     Is your ambition to be out of the football league then?    If not then your's starts the same as mine.

Is "your's" for the uneducated as well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 am

Rickler wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:

My ambition is exactly that Freathy.    To still be in the football league come next April.    It's also to get promoted but I'd settle for the former if that's all there is at the minute.     Is your ambition to be out of the football league then?    If not then your's starts the same as mine.
Is "your's" for the uneducated as well?

lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We're only six points off the play-offs. We've kept 5 clean sheets this season (that's one every three games) and conceded just two in the last five. We're seven points off the bottom two. Our next three league fixtures are against teams below us.

Reasons to be cheerful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:22 am

so best we can hope for is 1 nil wins against them ?

a welcome 3 points yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

Tringreen wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
SFD wrote yesterday :

So in summary I expect the good times to roll again one day but when they do they won't last for long because Brent's dream of self-sufficiency coupled with an inadequate ground capacity and revenue streams going elsewhere when they could be coming to the club will see us completely unable to compete financially at CCC level just like last time, if we ever do get that far.

What a differece a day makes to even the above average Aviva ! Enjoy the ride guys ! lol! 
I still stand by that. Every last word of it. Why shouldn't I?

But today... We deserved to win. What's wrong with saying so?

If you don't know, your addiction far outweighs your intelligence.

It's crap and it's going to stay crap.

Enjoy the ride, if you can't help yourself.

My 'distance' from the club has given me a completely different perspective, over the years.

Others, still in range, have disappeared to the golf course but there will always be those who can't move on, even when they are astute enough to realise the situation is hopeless.
There was some crap, quite a lot of it, but it wasn't all crap.

Your definition of hopeless is different to mine. There is always hope.

What bugs me is that our potential, yeah... I know, is being so unnecessarily and irrevocably limited but we are well away from where those horribly self-imposed restrictions will kick in.

But yesterday, although being far from wonderful, was not all bad. We all know how Boothroyd sets his teams up and how physically powerful they always are and in yesterday's frankly awful conditions we beat 'em and deservedly so and I'm pleased we did.

If you can't take pleasure in a deserved win resulting from gutsy endeavour sprinkled with a dusting of quality then it beats the shit out of me why you bother with it in any way at all.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 am

I've read around 20 different match reports now which range from a dire game between two dire sides to easily our best performance of the season where we played good football and created lots of chances scratch 

I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle of this or that both teams were dire at times but Argyle had patches of playing good football where we created some good chances.

It's still a bit worrying that it's taking us until the 90th minute to score a goal, even against the side now bottom of League 2, but defensively we're now getting it right and are extremely hard to break down.

I think the threat of relegation has subsided sufficiently for now and although not likely, it's still more feasible that we could make the play-offs. This probably equates to a safe but unspectacular mid table finish which is a huge improvement on what we have been seeing unless of course this has been a false dawn and more disappointment is just around the corner.

What would be a big boost now would be to put 3 or 4 past Lincoln to make it comfortably into the next round of the FA Cup. That would perhaps give a big confidence boost to the strikers and of course put us within 90 minutes of a potential huge club which could bring in much needed funds. Even a home tie with Shitty or Bristol City would come in handy.

I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic today than I was before the Mansfield game and even though yesterday was only a last minute winner against the team at the foot of the table it's much better than another goalless draw which would've left us still on the edge of the relegation battle and still wondering where the goals to keep us safe were coming from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:44 am

The team did indeed play as a team and with some effort. They all tried - even Branston who had a stinker. We appreciate that. It's frustrating to turn up (and that takes some effort sometimes) and watch a team that doesn't try - they all tried yesterday. Hopefully, this will give the team some much needed belief.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 am

Just to add, Reid was clearly fouled in the first half inside the box. We should have had a penalty. I also think Northampton came for a draw.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 am

Greenjock wrote:
I've read around 20 different match reports now which range from a dire game between two dire sides to easily our best performance of the season where we played good football and created lots of chances scratch 

I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle of this or that both teams were dire at times but Argyle had patches of playing good football where we created some good chances.

It's still a bit worrying that it's taking us until the 90th minute to score a goal, even against the side now bottom of League 2, but defensively we're now getting it right and are extremely hard to break down.

I think the threat of relegation has subsided sufficiently for now and although not likely, it's still more  feasible that we could make the play-offs. This probably equates to a safe but unspectacular mid table finish which is a huge improvement on what we have been seeing unless of course this has been a false dawn and more disappointment is just around the corner.

What would be a big boost now would be to put 3 or 4 past Lincoln to make it comfortably into the next round of the FA Cup. That would perhaps give a big confidence boost to the strikers and of course put us within 90 minutes of a potential huge club which could bring in much needed funds. Even a home tie with Shitty or Bristol City would come in handy.

I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic today than I was before the Mansfield game and even though yesterday was only a last minute winner against the team at the foot of the table it's much better than another goalless draw which would've left us still on the edge of the relegation battle and still wondering where the goals to keep us safe were coming from.

Anybody that suggests that yesterday was a free-flowing classic is wrong. Anybody that suggests we made plenty of chances is right. I'd hazard a small wager that we had more shots both on and off target yesterday than in every home game so far this season combined and that the goalie made more saves than all the others put together too.

Which, admittedly, is not totally unlike being damned with faint praise.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:55 am

i backed us to win............now i cant find the slip Sad 
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 am

knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The only thing worth grumbling about today was the wind but I speak only as someone who was there and not as someone able to discern the real picture from secondary sources and I humbly defer to their greater wisdom.
Even I could see we deserved to win and I was listening on the radio.

Of course all opinions are worth listening to but some are more equal than others. Me? I'd rather listen to someone who was there than some tit who wants to maintain an internet persona.

Thanks Sir Frank.
I'd actually be reasonably confident in a scenario whereby you'd not been to or listened to a game, that you'd rather listen to someone like SFD's radio commentary precis, than perhaps Punchies version, even if Punch was at the game. So I think you're talking bollocks there.

Then you just simply quote a Hairy post that is purely an abusive statement.

Had a drink last night, knecht?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 am

Abusive as that's all some people understand. To hope we lose is a really shit way to support the team. Most of these people would dance in glee if Argyle went out of the league and disappeared - it's completely perverse. Personally, I'm not a fan of the X-Factor but I don't want other people to stop watching it just because I don't like it.
I went, it was cold, not a good game but we won. We probably deserved to win.
I honestly don't care if I've offended some of the most offensive people on this site - I don't care. They feckin deserve it back sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 am

Czarcasm wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The only thing worth grumbling about today was the wind but I speak only as someone who was there and not as someone able to discern the real picture from secondary sources and I humbly defer to their greater wisdom.

Of course all opinions are worth listening to but some are more equal than others. Me? I'd rather listen to someone who was there than some tit who wants to maintain an internet persona.

Thanks Sir Frank.
I'd actually be reasonably confident in a scenario whereby you'd not been to or listened to a game, that you'd rather listen to someone like SFD's radio commentary precis, than perhaps Punchies version, even if Punch was at the game. So I think you're talking bollocks there.

Oi!

I was at the feckin game and commented on what I saw not what I gleaned from radio commentary.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Thanks Sir Frank.

Oi!

I was at the feckin game and commented on what I saw not what I gleaned from radio commentary.
I know you were. So was I.

My point was, I was disagreeing with knechts little barbed comment, so plucked a couple of names out of the air (on opposite sides of who knecht generally agrees with) to make my point.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 am

In which case is anything I have said about the Northampton game misleading in any way?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:39 am

Knecht has told me off a few times. I accepted the tellings off as it'd be like shouting at Gandalf - how any one can find such a mild-mannered person 'objectionable' is beyond me. He's like a friendly old uncle with an interesting record collection or a reliable labrador that won't bite children, even when they pull his ears.

If ATD were dogs.....
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:49 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
In which case is anything I have said about the Northampton game misleading in any way?
I dunno? scratch 

Without re-reading everything you've wrote I couldn't say. But even then, I'm not really an acute analyst of what's gone before, post-match.FWIW, my brief take on it yesterday, was this...

Czarcasm wrote:
It wasn't Samba football by any means, but what was promising was that we actually created a fair few chances. It was a definite improvement albeit against a shit Northampton side. Very Happy jocolor 
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:07 am

"Promising", "created", "chances", improvement".

We're not worlds apart.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:29 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
SFD wrote yesterday :

So in summary I expect the good times to roll again one day but when they do they won't last for long because Brent's dream of self-sufficiency coupled with an inadequate ground capacity and revenue streams going elsewhere when they could be coming to the club will see us completely unable to compete financially at CCC level just like last time, if we ever do get that far.

What a differece a day makes to even the above average Aviva ! Enjoy the ride guys ! lol! 
I still stand by that. Every last word of it. Why shouldn't I?

But today... We deserved to win. What's wrong with saying so?

If you don't know, your addiction far outweighs your intelligence.

It's crap and it's going to stay crap.

Enjoy the ride, if you can't help yourself.

My 'distance' from the club has given me a completely different perspective, over the years.

Others, still in range, have disappeared to the golf course but there will always be those who can't move on, even when they are astute enough to realise the situation is hopeless.
There was some crap, quite a lot of it, but it wasn't all crap.

Your definition of hopeless is different to mine. There is always hope.

What bugs me is that our potential, yeah... I know, is being so unnecessarily and irrevocably limited but we are well away from where those horribly self-imposed restrictions will kick in.

But yesterday, although being far from wonderful, was not all bad. We all know how Boothroyd sets his teams up and how physically powerful they always are and in yesterday's frankly awful conditions we beat 'em and deservedly so and I'm pleased we did.

If you can't take pleasure in a deserved win resulting from gutsy endeavour sprinkled with a dusting of quality then it beats the shit out of me why you bother with it in any way at all.

Apart from venting my spleen on the internet from my lofty perch in Cyprus, I don't really bother with it anymore. I still desperately want my home town club , where I spent many hours in my youth, to one day fulfil its undoubted [in my mind] potential. The last game I attended was when we lost 5 - 1 at Oxford........ an emotional experience. I even drove past HP at 2pm on the first home league game of the season, such is my ire with the people running and influencing Argyle.
If you think back to when I was predicting trouble ahead, if Stapes didn't let go and actively market a club on the crest of a wave, or at the very least welcome investment to Holloway's team, you and most of the rest of Pasoti were enjoying the ride and trusting in Stapes. My dismissal from the emerging Napoleon's Farm caused me to suspect the true insular and self promoting motives of that man and his deceitful cronies.
Even I didn't think it would end up this bad, with the club's future being restricted, asset stripped and the lunatics actually involved in steering the asylum that Argyle has become.
Your comment that the mini stand and boxed in ground won't impact for quite a while til we get on a roll again has some credence but the feelgood factor of a well finished stadium, as with the Trust's WG plans, could well result in the sort of potential support base lift off enjoyed at Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Reading and Hull, to name a few. The council and brent could and should make it happen, complete with an Ice Rink fit for purpose of national league ice hockey and basketball etc.
For an intelligent fella, your addiction to Argyle is a case of the heart ruling the head but if it gives you pleasure that's your choice. Other local, thinking, long term supporters are drifting away and who can blame them when the dream is all but dead ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am

Czarcasm wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Thanks Sir Frank.

I had had a drink. I was certainly not drunk - only two pints of St Austell brewery 1913 stout that I'd heartily recommend & a small glass of wine (a not very good Aussie shiraz). Smile 

I was simply saying that I would pay more heed to someone who had actually attended the game than someone who hadn't. Isn't that an obvious thing that anyone would do? Wouldn't you?

Why do you say I would automatically dismiss what Punchie has to say and would automatically favour Sir Frank's offerings? I may have a preference for posting styles but sometimes Sir Frank posts stuff I disagree with & sometimes Punchie is worth paying attention to. Similarly hairy is both a massive pain in the neck & an intelligent poster. ATD is like a big dysfunctional family, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 am

knecht wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Thanks Sir Frank.

Why do you say I would automatically dismiss what Punchie has to say and would automatically favour Sir Frank's offerings?
Maybe it's a stab in the dark, but I guess it's just a hunch I'd have. Basketball 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:31 am

hairy j wrote:
Abusive as that's all some people understand. To hope we lose is a really shit way to support the team. Most of these people would dance in glee if Argyle went out of the league and disappeared - it's completely perverse. Personally, I'm not a fan of the X-Factor but I don't want other people to stop watching it just because I don't like it.
I went, it was cold, not a good game but we won. We probably deserved to win.
I honestly don't care if I've offended some of the most offensive people on this site - I don't care. They feckin deserve it back sometimes.
You went for free troll, your old man pays for your season ticket.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 am

hairy j wrote:
Knecht has told me off a few times. I accepted the tellings off as it'd be like shouting at Gandalf - how any one can find such a mild-mannered person 'objectionable' is beyond me. He's like a friendly old uncle with an interesting record collection or a reliable labrador that won't bite children, even when they pull his ears.

If ATD were dogs.....
Because he  sucks up to you he's a friendly old uncle, i prefer to see him as a first class arse kisser, who lets a troll run riot because that troll claims to be a left wing liberal, man of the people university boy, ( i normally aprove of a good education before anyone asks)
if it was myself or other posters who aren't troll friendly left wing, would good old uncle knecht be so friendly? i doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cobblers Match Thread...   Cobblers Match Thread... - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cobblers Match Thread...
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next