Czarcasm
Tringreen
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Hello chaps!

First post on here and a rat leaving the HMS Pasoti. jocolor

I confess I haven't been to HP for a number of years due to family and work commitments, but now my son is a convert to all things Argyle. Based on this, any suggestions on where to go for a beer and J2O before the game and meet a few like minded fans?

Also, where's the best place to get a seat? Demport for the banter or Lyndhurst for the family friendly atmosphere, not that my lad minds a bit of bad language and banter (he's a very switched on 8 going on 16). He particularly like the piss taking of opposition goalies taking goal kicks!!

We were at the Stourbridge game and he quite enjoyed the Pyramid for about twenty minutes, but not for every home game.

Also, any decent parking around the ground? Took an age to get out of the car park on Saturday. Why don't they open the bottom gate any more?

Sorry for all the questions, but you have to begin the family tradition of Argyle somewhere!
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome to the site Cerbera.

There's no need to justify yourself on this site mate, if you show an interest then that's good enough. You'll find many of us here that have not visited HP for a while since those grubby hands took control.
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks mate, seems there's quite a few names on here I remember from 'over there'.

Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I'd recommend the Lyndhurst or Mayflower stand. Good views and always better to watch the game from the side IMO.

Shouldn't have too much trouble picking a good seat either, 6k into 15k means crowd is quite sparse
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:46 pm

I want to go to the Blockhouse pub with Punchie drunken

Maybe we'll make it to HP, maybe we won't affraid
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Mayflower? No ta.

Was sat in Lyndhurst last Saturday and it looked like it was in imminent danger of collapse!

Reckon Lyndhurst towards the Devonport might be the way to go. Stourbridge fans were very vocal on Saturday (fair play to them) and it rather ruined the enjoyment listening to two old dears sat behind us discussing their Bert's lumbago in between 'Come on Fletch, man on' and 'Come on you Reds' in the background.

An improvement of the last month though when sat in the Flybe at SJP listening to 'Stand up! If you hate Argyle, stand up!' which never fails to mystify me. It must have confused a few Carlisle and Hudddersfield fans too. Thing is, it is sung from the Big Bank and they're all stood up anyway. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Atmosphere is pretty lacking wherever you go but my freinds and I tend to populate the area near the old spion skop, at the very least you can watch the man open and close the chain. The Mayflower is like Gods waiting room.

Drinking pre match is usually best at the Brittania in terms of beer and clientele, have a look in the bay window for some PASOTI company! lol! jocolor

Also despite what some may say on here, the fans fests are really good, entry is a fiver and you a pasty and pint with that, but it can get pretty busy.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Note to self:- I must remember to take a snap of my Lamborghini for avatarical purposes... Cool
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Note to self:- I must remember to take a snap of my Lamborghini for avatarical purposes... Cool

As opposed to the photo of your good self that you use at the moment? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

Only if it is parked abandoned in the Pistenklause carpark in December sulking because the 'Ring was snowbound. Still, made for an intertesting day at the GP circuit.

Had to get towed out of there by a Porsche Cayenne of all things too. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:21 pm

funny man wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

As opposed to the photo of your good self that you use at the moment? Very Happy

Very Happy Thing is, it actually does look like me at that age, to the point that I actually had my missus thinking it really was (is) me! Bless 'er.

Back to top Go down
crickeypafc

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:13 pm

I sit block 14 basically where the stand ends in the lindy if you want a good view i would say block 11-12 but they are a bit funny up there they don't like newcomers
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm

The only place to watch football from is behind the goal.

But please don't sit in my seat. I hate having to ask people to move Cool
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Fanfests are good value, but can get very busy. The Britannia is a JDWetherspoons pub so isn't bad value for beer/ grub but again used to get quite busy (not so sure these days with the Fansfests). The Cherry Tree is an ok pub- fairly cheap, pan-lid friendly and shows football on Sky (5-10 minute downhill walk to Home Park)
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Stourbridge fans were very vocal on Saturday (fair play to them) and it rather ruined the enjoyment listening to two old dears sat behind us discussing their Bert's lumbago in between 'Come on Fletch, man on' and 'Come on you Reds' in the background.

Do people still shout "man on !" Very Happy
Come to think of it ... two old dears ? ......"man on" ? ... where they swigging cans of lager ? Sounds like Mrs Doyle cheering on the Italian Priest.........."You're not singing anymore "......... Laughing ......... how I miss Craggy Island and Mrs Doyle's tea.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:42 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Cerbera wrote:
Stourbridge fans were very vocal on Saturday (fair play to them) and it rather ruined the enjoyment listening to two old dears sat behind us discussing their Bert's lumbago in between 'Come on Fletch, man on' and 'Come on you Reds' in the background.

Do people still shout "man on !" Very Happy
Come to think of it ... two old dears ? ......"man on" ? ... where they swigging cans of lager ? Sounds like Mrs Doyle cheering on the Italian Priest.........."You're not singing anymore "......... Laughing ......... how I miss Craggy Island and Mrs Doyle's tea.

I used to stand on the old Lyndhurst after graduating fom the Demport.
There was an old boy who used to stand near us and everytime we had a corner he used to yel , " Hoooooooooo !" as the ball ewntered the goal area. Fantastic ! I still do it myself sometimes.............if I go.
Back to top Go down
argyledj

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:58 pm

somewhere in the middle of the devenport end but if you go towards the back theres a few there who love the sound of there own voices and will berate you if you dont stay until the final whistle.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 pm

argyledj wrote:
somewhere in the middle of the devenport end but if you go towards the back theres a few there who love the sound of there own voices and will berate you if you dont stay until the final whistle.

Gluttons for punishment jocolor
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 am

I'll have you know I have never left a match before the final whistle. It's my money, entertain me....................oh yes this is Argyle after all. Perhaps they could do 'half' tickets where you only pay for each half at a time?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:54 am

I left 10 mins from the end of the 5 - 1 thrashing at Oxford. It had taken an hour to park and I couldn't face another hour getting out.

And people do this every week.................... for pleasure ?
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 am

Anyone know if it's possible to park up Lyndhurst Road anywhere? Or is it all residents permits?
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:55 am

Cerbera wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to park up Lyndhurst Road anywhere? Or is it all residents permits?

No mate, if you must park in the car park make sure you reverse into position because it makes getting out much easier or have a pint in the Cherry Tree before the match and leave your car in the car park. I've never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Irrespective of picking up your gaunlet on the other thread, welcome aboard old sport.
Back to top Go down

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Which other thread?

And thanks for the gauntlet back, my hand was getting cold. Wink

ETA: No need to explain, just seen your post and replied via PM to avoid a thread hijack.

As you were................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where to go? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to go?   Where to go? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where to go?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: