HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Acceptance of mediocrity

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

Acceptance of mediocrity Empty
PostSubject: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 am

Having followed the club for over 50 years, I believe that my suspicions, first awakened during and after the demise of the Waiters/ Mariner era, were well founded and are even more obvious today.
The vocal majority on Pasoti, who do appear to represent mainstream fan opinion, are now critical of anyone who dares to ask for some investment in the playing side by the new owner. Comments like 'look where that got us last time' and 'I don't care if we stay in the 2nd Div or even drop to the Conference, at least I'll have my Argo', would appear to aptly illustrate an acceptance of footballing mediocrity by the supporters of England's 13th largest city club.
The reluctant James Brent has become an admired and respected lord and master overnight and everyone should be eternally grateful and doff their caps to him. Let's get things clear. He would not have bought the club and the associated business opportunities, if he didn't think he could make a profit.
The whole administration process appears to have been a carve up of unbelievable proportions and the administrator has uttered words to the effect that the club was not offered to a wider audience of potential buyers because there was a preferred bidder in place. Through all of this, the Trust and other self appointed fans reps patiently stood by, when not rattling buckets, and waited for the moment that sensible James could be pushed over the line. The dogs of war being kept on a tight leash until the hard working gentlemen could squeeze no more out of them and the club's employees.
This club, because of its catchment area, will always rise through the leagues and enjoy increasing support through the turnstyles from time to time. As Greenskin has pointed out so many times both here and on Pasoti, it was at least on a par with the likes of the East Anglian clubs in the 50's and 60's before those clubs reached for and achieved top flight/ European football. That is why they enjoy solid 20 k fanbases and we don't.
The 'run by fans, for fans' owners got lucky with Sturrock, in his prime and probably one of the best ever lower league managers. However, he knew, Pulis and Holloway knew, that they would be outclassed at Championship level. The rest is the latest and most horrendous chapter in the club's history. At least Brent, probably advised by Peter Jones, has publicly recognised that the club will need to seek out investment/new owners if and when it returns to the Championship.
This club cannot be allowed to drop out of the football league. If David Brent and his advisors allow this to happen, a third successive relegation, the club might take years to get back and the damage to the club's already 'Aviva' image will be complete.............. Those who appear to relish mediocrity will no doubt enjoy taking a 500 strong Green Army to Hayes & Yeading Utd and joyously sing, 'you dirty northern bastards' and 'shit ground, no fans', til the cows come home. What fun !

Parochiality and mediocrity a speciality. Aviva got it so right.

Last edited by Tringreen on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 am

I've been there for not much less than 50 years, and twas ever thus. My old Dad, God rest his soul, always used to say to me as we stood by the pylon at the Barn Park End, 'this club will never get to the First Division (as it was then), because it doesn't want to'.

I couldn't understand that, being about 10 years old. I couldn't understand why a club wouldn't be the best that it could be. But as the years went by, we floundered around the bottom leagues, flirting from time to time with the second tier. It was Dave Smith, who guided the team back to Div 2, enjoyed a successful first season back, and then went to the board and asked for money to buy 4 players, who, he said, would get us to Div 1 the following season. He was, of course, turned down, and back down the leagues we went.

After more floundering, up we went again with Sturrock, on a shoestring budget, and this time maintained the status, thanks to some shrewd, and inexpensive buys, by Williamson and then Holloway. Then came the moment, where Holloway wanted to invest, and I had some personal involvement in the consortium that, I firmly believe, would have taken us to the Premier League under Holloway, if things had gone to plan. I witnessed first hand, the parochialism, the greed, the sheer ignorance and short sightedness of those in charge, and my old Dad's words came back to haunt me.

As for now, James Brent seems to be a shrewd operator, at least in the Hotel business, and one hopes he can bring some of that acumen to Home Park. But the people that he seems to be surrounding himself with, Webb, Newell and their adoring acolytes, seem to be, shall we say, lacking in the strategic vision area. Hopefully it won't last for too long. How long before the first falling out, and the President's dogs are unleashed?

The future is probably brighter than it was, but falling out of the football league, will, I think, extinguish that brightness for a lot of people for ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm pinning my hopes on Peter Jones becoming chairman. He and Brent seem to have hit it off and I have utter faith in PJ to do the best by the club.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:47 pm

peter_dout wrote:
I'm pinning my hopes on Peter Jones becoming chairman. He and Brent seem to have hit it off and I have utter faith in PJ to do the best by the club.

Ditto.............. he may even unearth investors for the club too. You know, the sort of investors we didn't need while trusting in Stapes' organic crap ! jocolor In the short term, the bucket rattlers will enjoy their hour in the limelight and who knows, they might carry on rattling for ever and a day ? At least they will have been cleverly manoeuvred away from anything requiring forward thinking and decision making.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 pm

I too used to doubt the older, wiser, and more world weary who used to say "Argo? They don't wanna go up" when taking about our top flight chances. That view was totally incomprehensible to me when I was a kid. Now, I realise never a truer word was spoken. I'm sure one day, probably decades from now, we'll eventually make it back up to the 'Championship' or whatever it will be called whenever we get back there. But unfortunately that's our 'top flight' and from there the only way is down.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Freathy wrote:
I too used to doubt the older, wiser, and more world weary who used to say "Argo? They don't wanna go up" when taking about our top flight chances. That view was totally incomprehensible to me when I was a kid. Now, I realise never a truer word was spoken. I'm sure one day, probably decades from now, we'll eventually make it back up to the 'Championship' or whatever it will be called whenever we get back there. But unfortunately that's our 'top flight' and from there the only way is down.

Youum naaaaat a praaaaaper faaaan Sad Act ! Get orff moy faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm. Youuuum a City faaaaaaaaaaaan ! jocolor pig lol! ................
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Aviva may re-make an up to date version of that commercial next season
"Gateshead away today. That's a long old poke annaaat" jocolor jocolor jocolor lol!
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Freathy wrote:
Aviva may re-make an up to date version of that commercial next season
"Gateshead away today. That's a long old poke annaaat" jocolor jocolor jocolor lol!

Think Gatshead may be coming up as we go down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:07 pm

I actually think if we do go down well get relegated again...conference south in season 2013/14 ..not far away and a scary thought indeed, far fetched one might say?! that's what many said about us struggling in League 2 just a few months ago!!!
Not to worry there will still be the aviva fests in the marquee tent (if we can afford it then) lol!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 am

The problem I've got is...this isn't even mediocrity. This is utter shite. Some fans actually give the impression that they'd be happy with mid-table in League Two. Bizarre.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The problem I've got is...this isn't even mediocrity. This is utter shite. Some fans actually give the impression that they'd be happy with mid-table in League Two. Bizarre.

For bizarre, read Aviva ! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acceptance of mediocrity   Acceptance of mediocrity Empty

Back to top Go down

Acceptance of mediocrity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: