Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Other issues tonight

Go down 
+11
125+1
Southborne
pilgrim_pete
Tringreen
Mock Cuncher
GreenSam
Freathy
Ken Adams
Chemical Ali
Dane
Greenskin
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin


Posts : 5617
Join date : 2011-05-16
Age : 62
Location : Tavistock area

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Cardiff up,Bristol City and Pompey down.I guess it could be argued that this represents the two sides of the "spend to succeed" coin.I never would have advocated accumulating a £138m debt a la Pompey under any circumstances though,maybe their support would argue that it was worth it for the memories of playing in europe etc and the knowledge that they will inevitably rise again.Bristol City have completely blown it,losing about £15m per annum and still not reaching the target-i believe Landsdowne has said that he's not prepared to bankroll them anymore,so they could be the next Argyle/Pompey/Coventry.Well done to Craig Noone and Joe Mason,makes you sick to think what might have been though.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane


Posts : 1928
Join date : 2013-02-23

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 pm

No sympathy for pompy. How many times have they been in admin ? About time thy got there house in order
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Blackpool beat Bristol City in the play-offs. It could have been very different.

Pompey are fecked. I can see them doing an Argyle next season - it's almost identical. They'll have no players, get loans in and really struggle.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali




Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 45
Location : Plymouth

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Simon Walton (if he isn't released) will also return to Home Park with the monkey hangers.
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams




Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-08-08

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Cardiff also spent millions on players when they were in the shit. Bastards have now gone up.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:27 pm

When you think that we nearly done it for sweet FA it really is a heart break what Stapleton done. Still, organic growth and all that, eh Smiffy!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Ken Adams wrote:
Cardiff also spent millions on players when they were in the shit. Bastards have now gone up.

and still owe millions i saw today the cardiff city ceo reckons other clubs copy there model :O i think not
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin


Posts : 5617
Join date : 2011-05-16
Age : 62
Location : Tavistock area

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm

hairy j wrote:
Blackpool beat Bristol City in the play-offs. It could have been very different.

Pompey are fecked. I can see them doing an Argyle next season - it's almost identical. They'll have no players, get loans in and really struggle.

I think it were 'ull actually,old Windarse got the winner as i recall.Twas indeed a defining moment for them though-Johnson wasted a shed load of money the season after,Coppell copped out after signing David James and some other useless has beens and it's been downhill ever since.Feel sorry for Landsdowne,he's put a lot of time and money into that club,just wish he was chairman down here when Holloway or Pulis were in charge.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy


Posts : 6106
Join date : 2011-05-12

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Pompey got to be favourites to piss all over L2 next season. Bristol City's last two seasons in the Championship were like our two last Championship seasons - survive by the skin of their teeth but then go down the following season. I hope for their sakes they don't have a first season back in L1 like us.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam




Posts : 1737
Join date : 2012-03-26

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Freathy wrote:
Pompey got to be favourites to piss all over L2 next season. Bristol City's last two seasons in the Championship were like our two last Championship seasons - survive by the skin of their teeth but then go down the following season. I hope for their sakes they don't have a first season back in L1 like us.
Pompey will still be skint and will start League 2 on minus-10 points as I understand. They'll be more likely to be in the dogfight to avoid the BSP imo.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Pompey got to be favourites to piss all over L2 next season. Bristol City's last two seasons in the Championship were like our two last Championship seasons - survive by the skin of their teeth but then go down the following season. I hope for their sakes they don't have a first season back in L1 like us.
Pompey will still be skint and will start League 2 on minus-10 points as I understand. They'll be more likely to be in the dogfight to avoid the BSP imo.

they will have cash so i believe mid table would be comfortable aim for them
Back to top Go down
GreenSam




Posts : 1737
Join date : 2012-03-26

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Pompey got to be favourites to piss all over L2 next season. Bristol City's last two seasons in the Championship were like our two last Championship seasons - survive by the skin of their teeth but then go down the following season. I hope for their sakes they don't have a first season back in L1 like us.
Pompey will still be skint and will start League 2 on minus-10 points as I understand. They'll be more likely to be in the dogfight to avoid the BSP imo.

they will have cash so i believe mid table would be comfortable aim for them
Will they? Run by their trust so the best you could say is that they'll be self-sustaining with no owner bail outs. Therefore they'll probably have to run to a middling playing budget considering their admin debts, despite the fact that their crowds will probably be the highest in the league.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy


Posts : 6106
Join date : 2011-05-12

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm

I had no idea they were staring on -10. However, they will outspend everyone else in this division aided by regular crowds of well over 10k.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Pompey got to be favourites to piss all over L2 next season. Bristol City's last two seasons in the Championship were like our two last Championship seasons - survive by the skin of their teeth but then go down the following season. I hope for their sakes they don't have a first season back in L1 like us.
Pompey will still be skint and will start League 2 on minus-10 points as I understand. They'll be more likely to be in the dogfight to avoid the BSP imo.

they will have cash so i believe mid table would be comfortable aim for them
Will they? Run by their trust so the best you could say is that they'll be self-sustaining with no owner bail outs. Therefore they'll probably have to run to a middling playing budget considering their admin debts, despite the fact that their crowds will probably be the highest in the league.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/10/portsmouth-future-fratton-park-ownership have a read it explains why they will have a bit of cash to play with.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy


Posts : 6106
Join date : 2011-05-12

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Anyway, one things for sure they won't spend the next two seasons propping this shit hole divsion!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy


Posts : 6106
Join date : 2011-05-12

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Something to look forward to next season

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GreenSam




Posts : 1737
Join date : 2012-03-26

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 am

Fair play Angry- they'll still have a bit of debt I imagine but that sale aided by their crowds should be enough for their budget to be, erm, competitive.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 am

It's not just about cash or 'competitive budget', it's about downward momentum - they've lost 23 out of 44 this season, lost 22 out of 46 the season before, lost 18 out of 46 before that and 24 out of 36 before that.

Looking through their squads for these seasons, they've had about 100 different players play for them - I'm not counting them.

They're a big scalp for a lot of clubs in the lower leagues.

They're a South Coast club with historic financial problems.

The only difference between them and us I can see is more debt than we got into and a relatively brief, cash funded stay in the Premier League.

I think they'll really struggle in League 2.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:15 am

Pompey wont be hampered by a blinkered banker who has his head buried in plans of how to asset strip the club, or a talented individual of a manager like we had. What's more they will aim higher than we did on their loan signings. Shoot for the stars and hit the moon, shoot for the moon and hit yourself in the arse.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 am

Iggy wrote:
Pompey wont be hampered by a blinkered banker who has his head buried in plans of how to asset strip the club, or a talented individual of a manager like we had. What's more they will aim higher than we did on their loan signings. Shoot for the stars and hit the moon, shoot for the moon and hit yourself in the arse.

The 'FA will be watching them like a hawk'. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 am

Still a decent away game at Pompey. Probably be the most attractive game for us.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher


Posts : 5189
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 101
Location : Kingsbridge Castles

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 am

Pompey will still average 13-14k next year. Full priced tickets, not like Bradford's cheap deals.

The advantage of having spent time in the Prem is that their fanbase will hold up pretty well. Their is a huge feelgood factor after the past week up here too. They reckon they'll sell out everywhere they go, and will smash the league...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen


Posts : 10889
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 72
Location : Tring

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am

In the Staplewallet days [I'll never hear a bad word said about that man and his lovely family] the farm controllers used to promote the organic model, year on year progress blah , blah......... and look disapprovingly at Cardiff for spending money they didn't have , to reach for the stars.

Guess what ? They made it.

Meanwhile, all the Pasoti control freaks want is a compliant place at the top table and permanent mediocrity.

It's a good job Cardiff didn't blame 'Apathetic Taffies'. Build it and they will come.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 am

I don't agree with the model of spanking hundreds of millions to get to the prem. also in this day and age no one will lend it to you, with hindsight I am sure that even Stapes would have gone for it given the chance again.
Let's hope that the next chance we get the property has gone and all the leeches gone back to their muddy ponds?
Back to top Go down
pilgrim_pete




Posts : 331
Join date : 2011-11-14

Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

Tringreen wrote:
In the Staplewallet days [I'll never hear a bad word said about that man and his lovely family] the farm controllers used to promote the organic model, year on year progress blah , blah......... and look disapprovingly at Cardiff for spending money they didn't have , to reach for the stars.

Guess what ? They made it.

Meanwhile, all the Pasoti control freaks want is a compliant place at the top table and permanent mediocrity.

It's a good job Cardiff didn't blame 'Apathetic Taffies'. Build it and they will come.

They made it by changing from blue to red and changing their badge completely due to their sugar daddy owner.

Each to their own but give me ARGYLE in GREEN in L2 anyday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Other issues tonight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other issues tonight   Other issues tonight Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Other issues tonight
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Reputational Issues
» Trust comments on Club membership issues
» Tonight
» Today Home Park telephone issues
» Trust issues statement on Supervisory Board

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: