3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

POP? Empty
PostSubject: POP?   POP? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Synopsis:

SKY charge pubs thousands per month to show football. This old dear decided to get a much cheaper foreign provider to do the same service. SKY weren't happy & she was fined. She refused to pay, took the issue to the European courts and won on the basis of fair trade. SKY now don't want to pay as much to show the football as it isn't exclusive to them any more. Is this the start of the POP of football?

Not that this is anything new, I know a few Polish/Turks who pay significantly less for their foreign TV subscriptions than I do for SkySports. Of course, you've got to put up with the wop chitter chatter at half time, but at least you can afford a coupla beers during the game as well.

The Red White N Blue is my local pub, in that it is down the road from me rather than I drink there (bit of a funny old place, get stares from the regulars if you dare order a lager, etc).
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 am

Hopefully. The game is shit now. The EPL is boring beyond belief, as is the champions league. It is our national game but just a "fad" overseas, and when they get bored of it the money will drain away. Maybe then we will have a competitive league again.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 pm

ive been awaiting and predicting this since 1992, footballs head goes up its own arse.

watch, as over the next few seasons the English Soccer League is formed, consisting 12 possibly 14 teams, no promotion to, or relegation from this one. Solely funded by Murdoch.

English football leagues will have, maybe one professional league, and smaller localised divisions, returning the game to sport, and sticking two fat fingers up at the business of soccer.

oh and congratulations to the landlady for standing up to the broadcasters
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
seadog
Admin

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm

The greed of Sky and the EPL is astonishing, nearly as bad as Guilffol and Ridders et al.
Back to top Go down

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Think you might be jumping the gun a little in dancing on the EPL SKY grave. This ruling will mean a short term gain for the little guy but in the long term it will simply mean the next TV deal will likely be for the rights to broadcast across Europe and not simply sold country by country. This I expect will lock out any smaller broadcaster from eastern Europe, leaving SKY, ESPN, and CANAL + to share the spoils.

When you add in the potential for selling Europe wide rights to streaming matches online, in particular on mobile devices I think there is a little more cash to be squeezed out of people before football eats itself.
Back to top Go down

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 pm

avignon green wrote:
Think you might be jumping the gun a little in dancing on the EPL SKY grave. This ruling will mean a short term gain for the little guy but in the long term it will simply mean the next TV deal will likely be for the rights to broadcast across Europe and not simply sold country by country. This I expect will lock out any smaller broadcaster from eastern Europe, leaving SKY, ESPN, and CANAL + to share the spoils.

When you add in the potential for selling Europe wide rights to streaming matches online, in particular on mobile devices I think there is a little more cash to be squeezed out of people before football eats itself.

I have always predictated that the next TV deal will be smaller and that the bubble has burst.....and I am always wrong Very Happy

But my main concern is the quality of the product on offer. At what stage will people give up on the EPL because it is too predictable? That is when the bubble will burst IMHO.

And welcome to ATD avignon Very Happy
Back to top Go down

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I will try and make useful if sporadic contributions when I can.

I too was slightly amazed at increase in cost of the last TV deal. Like or loathe Scudamore there is no doubting his credentials as a salesman.

With regards people getting bored with the predictable nature of the league, if it hasn't happened by now it isn't going to happen Compared to 20 years ago the league is predictable but it compares well to other top euro leagues where often 2 teams dominate.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

POP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: POP?   POP? Empty

Back to top Go down

POP?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: