Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just home from Northampton

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Just home from Northampton Empty
PostSubject: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm

What a long day on the travel coaches, leaving at 8am and arriving home at 10 15pm.

Well, the day started out well, everybody in positive mood on the coach for some bizzare reason, plenty of smiles and optimistic predictions at services and some light hearted banter with some Yeovil fans at the services. Got up to Northampton at about 1 15 where it was snowing lightly, bloody freezing, KFC right outside the ground, ideal. Went in at 2 and got good seats behind the goal. Atmosphere and build up to the game was decent, everybody very positive.

We started the game really well and we actually strung some passes together and attacked a lot more than our opponents, our 2 players creating everything were Cox and Banton, but despite his effort, Reid caused little trouble as the lone man. We worked our first chance, a delightful Banton cross turned goalbound by the solid Branston but his header was easily saved. Banton then had a chance himself from the edge of the box but he took to many touches and his final effort was charged down. Northampton, with their only decent chance of the first half couldn't hit the target and fired over. The best effort of the game came from Paul Wotton, optimistic cries for him to shoot from 35 yards rung out, and he responded, a thumping effort going just wide.

Overall, a really promising first half, however I said at half time, either team will win this 1 0.

Northampton started the second half the strongest, making some darting runs in to our box but the brick wall that consisted of Charles and Branston held firm, Bhasera having a very poor game however. Argyle worked their way forwards soon enough, but Reid's shot on the turn was well charged down by Carlisle. From then on, the game was played mainly in midfield up until the 'goal', both teams battling hard. The goal was simply disgraceful, Cole had two hands on the ball and was very clearly bundled off the ball so Platt could tap in for the hosts. The whole ground, even the home fans thought it wasn't going to be a goal but the ref gave it to the fury of the Argyle players, and the even greater fury of the Argyle fans. Soon after, Akinfenwa had a great chance to make it 2 but he fired over from 6 yards. Sheridan changed it around to a 4 4 2, bringing on Ugwu and Gurriei, in place of PCH and Wotton. Gurriei looked lively, he passed to Baz who's long range effort was easily dealt with.

And that was that, huge boo's from our fans at the final whistle and that's the first time I've seen our fans restrained all full time from going on to the pitch, after all the other players had left the field, Sheridan, Cole and Owers had an argument with the ref in the middle of the pitch.

We played well, should have got a point. Still have a problem scoring though, The Green Army were brilliant today, good numbers and loud. For a side chasing promotion, the home fans were woeful.

Cole - 7 - The goal not his fault, did well otherwise.
Blanchard - 7 - Out of position but did well.
Charles - 8 - My MOTM, very solid and dealt with Akinfenwa easily.
Branston - 7 - Good solid display.
Bhasera - 3 - a real off day for Baz, no urgency and easily allowed the NTFC RW past on many occasions.
PCH - 5 - I saw little effort today, did some good things on the ball, when he could be bothered.
Wotton - 6 - Thought he did fine today, came very close to scoring.
Cox - 6 - He played fine, created plenty in the first half but faded in the second.
Hourihane - 4 - Shouldn't be in the team.
Banton - 7 - Our creative spark came from Banton although he tired late on.
Reid - 4 - Can't fault the effort but he caused no problems.

Ugwu - 4 - Didn't make an impact, not sure he even touched it.
Gurriei - 5 - A couple of good crosses but didn't have much time

Last edited by Pitbull on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Ta for the match report. Sounds like the same old story. We can play OK in patches, but we can't put the ball in the net. Unfortunately grabbing some 0v0s and the occasional 1v0 isn't going to be good enough this season.

In retrospect Northampton are a (relatively) good side at home so a defeat isn't that surprising, but it's the previous match against Oxford which has hurt us. The next two results against our relegation rivals are going to tell us pretty much whether Sheridan is likely to get us out of this mess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Ta for the match report. Sounds like the same old story. We can play OK in patches, but we can't put the ball in the net. Unfortunately grabbing some 0v0s and the occasional 1v0 isn't going to be good enough this season.

In retrospect Northampton are a (relatively) good side at home so a defeat isn't that surprising, but it's the previous match against Oxford which has hurt us. The next two results against our relegation rivals are going to tell us pretty much whether Sheridan is likely to get us out of this mess.

Yep, but getting a 0 0 today would have been a good result, unfortunately the ref hasn't gave us that. I very very very rarely blame the ref for a defeat but I can today, we were the better side.

Boothroyd's tactics are sinful, brutal, ugly and nasty and it certainly gets you worked up, the fact is it works in this league, 9 wins in their last 10 home games tells no lies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Pitbull wrote:
What a long day on the travel coaches, leaving at 8am and arriving home at 10 15pm.

Well, the day started out well, everybody in positive mood on the coach for some bizzare reason, plenty of smiles and optimistic predictions at services and some light hearted banter with some Yeovil fans at the services. Got up to Northampton at about 1 15 where it was snowing lightly, bloody freezing, KFC right outside the ground, ideal. Went in at 2 and got good seats behind the goal. Atmosphere and build up to the game was decent, everybody very positive.

We started the game really well and we actually strung some passes together and attacked a lot more than our opponents, our 2 players creating everything were Cox and Banton, but despite his effort, Reid caused little trouble as the lone man. We worked our first chance, a delightful Banton cross turned goalbound by the solid Branston but his header was easily saved. Banton then had a chance himself from the edge of the box but he took to many touches and his final effort was charged down. Northampton, with their only decent chance of the first half couldn't hit the target and fired over. The best effort of the game came from Paul Wotton, optimistic cries for him to shoot from 35 yards rung out, and he responded, a thumping effort going just wide.

Overall, a really promising first half, however I said at half time, either team will win this 1 0.

Northampton started the second half the strongest, making some darting runs in to our box but the brick wall that consisted of Charles and Branston held firm, Bhasera having a very poor game however. Argyle worked their way forever soon enough, but Reid's shot on the turn was well charged down by Carlisle. From then on, the game was played mainly in midfield up until the 'goal', both teams battling hard. The goal was simply disgraceful, Cole had two hands on the ball and was very clearly bundled off the ball so Platt could tap in for the hosts. The whole ground, even the home fans thought it wasn't going to be a goal but the ref gave it to the fury of the Argyle players, and the even greater fury of the Argyle fans. Soon after, Akinfenwa had a great chance to make it 2 but he fired over from 6 yards. Sheridan changed it around to a 4 4 2, bringing on Ugwu and Gurriei, in place of PCH and Wotton. Gurriei looked lively, he passed to Baz who's long range effort was easily dealt with.

And that was that, huge boo's from our fans at the final whistle and that's the first time I've seen our fans restrained all full time from going on to the pitch, after all the other players had left the field, Sheridan, Cole and Owers had an argument with the ref in the middle of the pitch.

We played well, should have got a point. Still have a problem scoring though, The Green Army were brilliant today, good numbers and loud. For a side chasing promotion, the home fans were woeful.

Bhasera - 3 - a real off day for Baz, no urgency and easily allowed the NTFC RW past on many occasions.
PCH - 5 - I saw little effort today, did some good things on the ball, when he could be bothered.
Cox - 6 - He played fine, created plenty in the first half but faded in the second.

I think i would rather boil my head in oil then sit on that bus for that amount of time with no alcohol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 pm

I've done Carlisle on a tuesday night on the coach, I think you'd just kill yourself at the thought
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Northampton started the second half the strongest, making some darting runs in to our box but the brick wall that consisted of Charles and Branston held firm, Bhasera having a very poor game however. Argyle worked their way forever soon enough, but Reid's shot on the turn was well charged down by Carlisle. From then on, the game was played mainly in midfield up until the 'goal', both teams battling hard. The goal was simply disgraceful, Cole had two hands on the ball and was very clearly bundled off the ball so Platt could tap in for the hosts. The whole ground, even the home fans thought it wasn't going to be a goal but the ref gave it to the fury of the Argyle players, and the even greater fury of the Argyle fans. Soon after, Akinfenwa had a great chance to make it 2 but he fired over from 6 yards. Sheridan changed it around to a 4 4 2, bringing on Ugwu and Gurriei, in place of PCH and Wotton. Gurriei looked lively, he passed to Baz who's long range effort was easily dealt with.

I think i would rather boil my head in oil then sit on that bus for that amount of time with no alcohol

Barrel of oil on its way.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 am

Just seen the goal on TV Cobi and it was our own player who impeded Cole so it seemed a perfectly good goal to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am

Just seen it on TV as well and everybody who went are now correcting themselves on twitter. Looked a foul at the time but clearly not.

Bloody PCH, non league crap.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

Pitbull wrote:
Just seen it on TV as well and everybody who went are now correcting themselves on twitter. Looked a foul at the time but clearly not.

Bloody PCH, non league crap.

Perfect for next season then
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am

a few of the northampton academy lads gave our fans the finger at full time some got excited.

boothroyds tactics ? they have experienced pros where it counts (centre forward & centre back) - we dont
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Lord Aviva wrote:
a few of the northampton academy lads gave our fans the finger at full time some got excited.

boothroyds tactics ? they have experienced pros where it counts (centre forward & centre back) - we dont

Thought that was out of order and I hope it was reported. They are lucky there were stewards in between our fans and them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just home from Northampton   Just home from Northampton Empty

Back to top Go down

Just home from Northampton
Page 1 of 1