Tringreen
Flat_Track_Bully
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am

Combination of reserves and youth players manage to hold the mighty Saltash to a 0v0 draw.

Not exactly an inspiring scoreline, but at least Sheridan has got a chance to see some of the fringe players in a match situation, and at those players have managed to get some game time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am

Does anyone know the Mike Sampson who wrote this, is he a Derriford boy by any chance? I knew a bloke by the same name I thought he became a fireman. Anyhoo, I can't believe that there have been no reserve matches, it just smacks of laziness.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 am

Iggy wrote:
Does anyone know the Mike Sampson who wrote this, is he a Derriford boy by any chance? I knew a bloke by the same name I thought he became a fireman. Anyhoo, I can't believe that there have been no reserve matches, it just smacks of laziness.

It smacks of dimwitted complacency, just like the rest of the club. The only thing they're good at is flag waving , Avivafests and deception.

No class. No vision. No hope. Brent really must fink all potential fans are as fick , or ficker than his jamboys.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am

Look at the positive we kept a clean sheet!
cheers
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

With the best pitch in the Sarf West, shorely Gas/Brizzle/Torxeter/Yeov would wanna play us once or twice a season midweek just to tick players over?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Rickler

Rickler

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

"Don't worry about the score...

It's just about fitness."
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Rickler wrote:
"Don't worry about the score...

It's just about fitness."

that is true and if they won the game 10-0 no doubt you would claim "its only saltash"
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:

that is true and if they won the game 10-0 no doubt you would claim "its only saltash"

Err... Well yeah. I mean... When was the last time we won ten nil against anybody with any talent whatsover.

Actually.. When was the last time we scored more than five against anybody - even those with no recognisable talent whatsoever.

The "fitness" excuse is one of the biggest myths in football.
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Rickler wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

Err... Well yeah. I mean... When was the last time we won ten nil against anybody with any talent whatsover.

Actually.. When was the last time we scored more than five against anybody - even those with no recognisable talent whatsoever.

The "fitness" excuse is one of the biggest myths in football.

then why do they have pre season and games then if its a myth? no friendly means anything at all other than for preparation and fitness work. Seeing as the last manager was too dumb not to organise games for his reserves its no wonder our frindge players need these games.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 pm

A friendly is still a match. The players are still trying to get the ball in the back of the net, in this case against a supposedly very inferior team and players in saltash utd. But they can't even do that. This "it's all about fitness" is only used so much by Argo fans lately to excuse Argyle's recent attrocious record in friendlies. Argyle's opponents in friendlies have no problem scoring and/or preventing Argyle from scoring.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:

then why do they have pre season and games then if its a myth? no friendly means anything at all other than for preparation and fitness work.

You tell me...

If it is about fitness - then what is the point in playing amateur teams whose players are plumbers, shop workers, mechanics etc, who are surely not as fit as a 'professional' team anyway.. Add in the fact that they are in pre-season as well when most of these games occur, and tell me what sort of yardstick our "fitness" is being measured against?

The "preparation" I can go along with to a certain extent... But the "fitness" argument agains weak opposition I don't buy into at all. Argyle would be better playing the Royal Marine team in preseason if they wanted to measure fitness.

PS.. Damn right, Freathy!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm

whichever way you reat it the playing side is a complete mess - players unfit, not good enough, injured or plain cr*p!

nil nil against saltash not a welcome stat for a pro club.......................
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm

the pair of you dont understand professional sport do you.

So if we believe your theory we shouldnt bother with pre season or play any games for 2 months unless all the teams are premiership ones as its a myth that friendlies dont help with preparation/match fitness for a new season. which is total poppycock tbh.

Its not an Argyle myth or even a pasoti fact that friendlies are for fitness and preparation work its a proven fact thats why the club has them and indeed every single club on the planet and even other sports both team and indivdual do too.

the result isnt the most important thing at all, if it was do you think John Sheridan would have sent that squad to go and play? no he would have sent his strongest squad possible and probably sent the team out to go and destroy saltash.

Does scoring a hat trick against some kids from Nike suddenly means you warrant an automatic starting place? no because its a friendly if it was a competitive game it did however show JS what he can do though and be in line to prove himself in a competitve game.

this game like the nike one was created purely for the frindge players to get a run out after several months of no football and nothing else. Sorry you wanted 12-0 victories but they are what they are.
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Recently JS bemoaned (bemoaned .... I like that word) the fact that we don't have any reserve team matches. That's what he's gone out and done - organised a couple. I would guess that there will be some more in the pipe-line. Maybe we'll be playing Exeter to give our fringe players an easy time to show what they can do.
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm

knecht wrote:
Recently JS bemoaned (bemoaned .... I like that word) the fact that we don't have any reserve team matches. That's what he's gone out and done - organised a couple. I would guess that there will be some more in the pipe-line. Maybe we'll be playing Exeter to give our fringe players an easy time to show what they can do.

We need a reserve team in a competitive league next season. Last season it was understandable we didnt have one but this season CF should have reactivated the team but insteasd left players to rot with no football.

Thank god we have a manager with commonsense.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:

So if we believe your theory we shouldnt bother with pre season or play any games for 2 months unless all the teams are premiership ones as its a myth that friendlies dont help with preparation/match fitness for a new season. which is total poppycock tbh.

So because I disbelieve the the myth of pre-season friendlies, "only being about fitness", I now not only don't understand Football, I now don't understand "Professional sport"!

Anyway... I stand by my assertion that pre-season friendlies against inferior unfit amateur teams do us no good at all - and the beginning of season stats in recent years would support me.

Play against 'quality' and we might get somewhere.
Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Rickler wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

So because I disbelieve the the myth of pre-season friendlies, "only being about fitness", I now not only don't understand Football, I now don't understand "Professional sport"!

Anyway... I stand by my assertion that pre-season friendlies against inferior unfit amateur teams do us no good at all - and the beginning of season stats in recent years would support me.

Play against 'quality' and we might get somewhere.

To have a good pre season set of games (6 for example) IMO, each team should present a different challenge ranging from saltash level to premiership/championship to end with. As the games go on the team gets fitter and more prepared for the hard stuff in the league when it starts. whether they win all 6 or not isnt the important factor of these games its the build up and making sure the team is ready and rareing to go.

Playing saltash level teams each of the 6 games i agree isnt good and should be avoided.

But in this case the game was orgaised purely for a run out to shake of rust from the players who have splinters in their arse from not playing on saturdays and like with all friendlies wasnt set up so the players could put 20 past them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saltash Friendly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saltash Friendly   Saltash Friendly Empty

Back to top Go down

Saltash Friendly
Page 1 of 1