Czarcasm
Sandford_Grecian
Mapperley, darling
Jethro
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage

The Music thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm

knecht wrote:
Sufferedsince68 wrote:
Never seen so much shite, you wankers never heard of bruce sprinsteen? lol!

There's your mistake. Music is not really meant to be seen. It's meant to be listened to.
If its french if its jazz you can stick it up your ass jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Sufferedsince68 wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sufferedsince68 wrote:

There's your mistake. Music is not really meant to be seen. It's meant to be listened to.
If its french if its jazz you can stick it up your ass jocolor

Isa that where you put things you don't like?.

Try this

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Is that you in your younger days Captain Aviva? queen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Sadly, I did see them in my younger days - in a small festival in Belgium. They were booed off-stage in a shower of bottles & cans.

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Here's a best song worst video entry.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm

"Hey man did you see that? His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud."

And some Springsteen for those of you who like that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 pm

I like that sort of thing alot. Mind you.. that was back when he was actually good.

Correction - Great!
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm

There's a lot of 80's stuff on this thread!

Here's my favourite new song.

Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

knecht wrote:
Sufferedsince68 wrote:

If that were the case, no one would ever bother going to a gig. They'd just buy the CD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
knecht wrote:
Sufferedsince68 wrote:

If that were the case, no one would ever bother going to a gig. They'd just buy the CD.

Up to a point I agree. Amongst the best concerts I've ever seen have made a whole performance job of it. But if it's all image and no substance it's a waste of time.

Being at a gig certainly has its own atmosphere. Because of the work I do I have seen many performers in the last couple of years that I would never have bothered with - it's been interesting to watch who 'performs' and who simply 'plays'. The performers' rapport with the audience, their stage presence is important. I saw David Bowie once many years ago & he was scintillating. I saw Sha Na Na in the Guildhall & would never buy one of their albums but live on stage they were amazing. I have recordings of Mahler's 5th but seeing Simon Rattle in his CBSO farewell performance in Birmingham was astounding - one of the 2 or 3 best concerts I've ever been to!!! I like string quartets but haven't often enjoyed a live performance as much as I have when listening at home; the best I ever saw was the St Petersburg Quartet who played with such passion that the electricity was palpable & you wouldn't get that from a cd! On the other hand when I saw Van Morrison live he was shit because he didn't care & just went through the motions and didn't 'perform' at all. He just annoyed me that I had paid my money and he effectively didn't turn up. But I have several of his albums. Anyone old enough to have seen Fairport Convention (the band I have seen most often - maybe a dozen times or more around the country) or The Liverpool Scene at the Van Dike would remember their performances - and I have several of both of their albums because they are as good recorded as live. Some people can only make it work in a small club but some need a large arena. It's horses for courses. Some are far better listened to at home.

Now this guy (sadly he died far too young) was brilliant live in a small club - this recording captures some of it - but I don't think I would have bought his music:

By the way, I could have responded to suffered's "never seen so much shite" comment with similar. But I chose instead to jokingly ignore it. I usually find that most effective.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Techophobe alert. How do you do these links to youtube where it comes up all nice and pretty?

I really ought to have grasped these basics by now. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Go to "post reply" at the bottom of this page and open it.

Open another page in your browser. Go to the site - usually youtube - you want. Copy the address.

Then on the "post reply" box on here go to the bar at the top of the box & find the button that looks like a strip of film. Press it and in the drop down box paste the address of the youtube and Bob's your uncle......

I have ATD to thank for teaching me this. The site that cares.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Let's see if I am as clever as Knect?
Bollocks, doesn't seem to work on the iPad.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Cheers knecht. study I think even someone of your era would appreciate this classic...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Minimalist, tape loops & phasing with a repeated beat, building layers - all introduced many years ago by 'serious composers' like Steve Reich & Philip Glass.

I'll see your Orbital & raise you Moby:

Not what I would normally choose but worth dropping into from time to time.

Interestingly when I posted Steve Reich on youtube just now, Orbital tracks came up on the side-bar as connected choices.

Try Steve Reich's 'Music for pieces of wood' (without looking at the distracting performers...) to see similar without the dance-beat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
"Hey man did you see that? His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud."

And some Springsteen for those of you who like that sort of thing.
Great choice franny cheers
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 am

morning. could someone explain bruce springstein for me. i just dont get him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 am

Mapperley, darling wrote:
morning. could someone explain bruce springstein for me. i just dont get him.

A bit like me with Belinda Carlisle.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

Very Happy

i'll explain BC. nice tits great drugs
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 pm

listening to ministry, stigmata.

the lyrics could have been written for the porcine one
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

'my favourite weapon, is the look in your eyes, youve run out of lies.'
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

knecht wrote:
Minimalist, tape loops & phasing with a repeated beat, building layers - all introduced many years ago by 'serious composers' like Steve Reich & Philip Glass.

I'll see your Orbital & raise you Moby:

Not what I would normally choose but worth dropping into from time to time.

Interestingly when I posted Steve Reich on youtube just now, Orbital tracks came up on the side-bar as connected choices.

Try Steve Reich's 'Music for pieces of wood' (without looking at the distracting performers...) to see similar without the dance-beat.

I'm quite a fan of Moby. Seen him a few times at gigs as a band, and he DJ'd in Plymouth a few times in the early 90's at the height of the dance/rave scene.

Talking of which, when it comes to acid house and tracks that just build and build and build, this is one of the classic tracks of its era....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I've got a couple of his albums.

I don't often listen to them but when I do I wonder why I don't more often.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

And Steve Reich was doing that sort of thing in the 70's

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Music thread
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next