Dougie
Freathy
Flat_Track_Bully
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

The speed of the sacking  Empty
PostSubject: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 am

I think we can all agree that sacking Fletcher was the correct decision, and that it should have been done sooner (i.e. in terms of the number of games Fletcher was allowed to manage). However despite this does anyone else find it strange how quickly Fletcher was let go after yesterday's result? The news seemed to appear barely 30minutes after the game had finished, and there was a press release on the baggo ready and waiting to go up.

Fletcher must have been told before the announcement, but this must have been done pretty quickly if it happened after the match. As it was an away game, and the team were presumably in the changing room, where exactly was was Fletcher told - in a corridor somewhere? The timing also meant that he then had to do the post-match press conference just after being given the boot, and having to travel home with the team after having been sacked, both of which must have been uncomfortable experiences. Surely the more humane thing to do would be to just wait until the day after (i.e. today) and tell him in the morning in his office. There is nothing really gained by getting rid of him a day earlier.

Just seems a bit off to me. Maybe all the recent mess ups regarding communications and DoF appointments has made me overly paranoid, but it just doesn't seem the most sensible way to do things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 am

I've often commented during matches when we're being mullered that clueless should be sacked at the final whistle. Maybe the speccy banker was taking note lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am

I agree. Unless he was given an ultimatum after the last game - but that would be even more silly!

His response spoke volumes for his personal involvement and didn't look like a man who was simply doing a job.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 am

I can't work it out either. It could truly be a first in football. Sack the manager on a foreign field and send him out to face the press.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am

The Heralds take on the matter

It was Brent who delivered the message personally

Quote :
Herald Sport understands the decision to part company with Fletcher was made by the Pilgrims' board of directors on New Year's Eve.

That followed a demoralising 1-0 defeat by Wycombe Wanderers at Home Park on Saturday.

However, as the important game against Rovers was so close, the club's power-brokers did not take any immediate action.

Instead, they waited until after the final whistle against Rovers before telling Fletcher he was being fired, after 15 testing months as Argyle manager.

The board of directors would have stuck by their decision, regardless of the result.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 am

knecht wrote:
I agree. Unless he was given an ultimatum after the last game - but that would be even more silly!

His response spoke volumes for his personal involvement and didn't look like a man who was simply doing a job.

I agree. I don't think anyone disagrees with the decision but you would have had to have a heart of stone not to feel for the guy watching that interview. The timing of the announcement and decision to allow CF tp undertake post match interviews lacked class and was pretty cruel in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 am

Just another incident showing how poorly run the club is.

It wasn't comfortable viewing and yes to a certain extent I did feel sorry for him, but I reckon most freshly sacked managers would struggle to give an interview five minutes later.

Piss poor again from whoever ismaking the decisions. It's like telling someone their wife or husband has died and having to go and face the press straight away.

Anyway it's done and not a minute too soon for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 am

It's never nice to hear of someone getting the boot especially at this time of the year, but considering the wages he was on that would probably have paid the wage of half a dozen of the staff that have been sacked, it's a pity he didn't blab on the radio quite so loud when they were shown the door by Brent!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 am

If it was me who had just been sacked by the club and I was then expected to give an interview to the press I would tell them to go do one.

Feel sorry for the man? no I don't.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 am

Dougie wrote:

Quote :
Herald Sport understands the decision to part company with Fletcher was made by the Pilgrims' board of directors on New Year's Eve.

That followed a demoralising 1-0 defeat by Wycombe Wanderers at Home Park on Saturday.

However, as the important game against Rovers was so close, the club's power-brokers did not take any immediate action.

Instead, they waited until after the final whistle against Rovers before telling Fletcher he was being fired, after 15 testing months as Argyle manager.

The board of directors would have stuck by their decision, regardless of the result.

So the crucial defeat happened on the 29th, but it took them another 2 days to make the decision, and they then decided to wait another day (and another match) to tell him, but couldn't spare an additional couple of hours until the team had got back to Plymouth before telling him?

Very shoddy in my opinion. It's not as if this bad form is out of the blue. Surely a few calls or a quick meet up could have occurred on the 29th and the decision made and relayed to Fletcher then, giving Ro or someone else a go at Bristol Rovers. If they deemed the Rovers match so important, and consider the management important why the hell fanny around with the decision so much. Alternatively if they really couldn't agree until new years eve they should just have waited until today, and not forced Fletcher to do press interviews with the knife still in his back. It does also beg the question what might have happened if we had put in a good performance, or even produced another 3-goal comeback - would he still have been sacked?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 am

It brought tears to my eyes,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 am

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Quote :

So the crucial defeat happened on the 29th, but it took them another 2 days to make the decision, and they then decided to wait another day (and another match) to tell him, but couldn't spare an additional couple of hours until the team had got back to Plymouth before telling him?

Very shoddy in my opinion. It's not as if this bad form is out of the blue. Surely a few calls or a quick meet up could have occurred on the 29th and the decision made and relayed to Fletcher then, giving Ro or someone else a go at Bristol Rovers. If they deemed the Rovers match so important, and consider the management important why the hell fanny around with the decision so much. Alternatively if they really couldn't agree until new years eve they should just have waited until today, and not forced Fletcher to do press interviews with the knife still in his back. It does also beg the question what might have happened if we had put in a good performance, or even produced another 3-goal comeback - would he still have been sacked?

It's run more amature than a conference club, you didn't expect logical common sense did you?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

The way it all went was described on radio Devon as "bizarre" in terms of Fletcher holding a interview after thge game with Sparksy as normal but in the absence of any official club statement. Totally reflective of how the club is run.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I cried when I heard the news on the way home from another magnificent City win over your recent conquerors Wicky, how the chuff did you manage to lose to them?

Fortunately a chum was able to console me by suggesting that you are probably so crap that any bounce will probably be of the "dead cat" variety.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Happy New Year LT, you bellend Laughing

Wycombe were dire last Saturday, but knew we could be relied upon to gift them a win. Their centre backs were awful, but luckily for them they only had Chadwick to contend with. Didn't city beat them after playing much of the game with 10 men?

As for the sacking, why decide to sack a manager but still let him take charge of the next game?

Any new manager has little time to assess the squad- realise who needs booting out, and have time to bring better players in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Brian Clough was sacked in the tunnel at Leeds.

Maybe?
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Clough and Fletcher, peas in a pod.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The speed of the sacking    The speed of the sacking  Empty

Back to top Go down

The speed of the sacking
Page 1 of 1