mouldyoldgoat
seadog
Elias
Mock Cuncher
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Quite apart from all the other concerns about the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, it's probable that more people will die constructing the stadia than will play in the competition. Qatar has an appalling record for work-related deaths and injuries, Qatari workers are not allowed to form trade unions (which is against international conventions), and the migrant workers who'll do most of the work have no rights at all.

The International Trade Union Confederation's running a global petition calling for no World Cup in Qatar without basic rights for workers: click here to sign it
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

they got the world cup via corruption they shouldnt have regardless.
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 pm

True enough, Angry. It's also going to be far too hot for football, and gay football fans will have a torrid time if they want to go.

You never know, though: although FIFA ignored those and other points, they might be swayed by the prospect of having so much blood on their hands.
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Blood on their hands refers to the number of workers likely to die, Baltimore - as in the original post. And if you follow the link, hopefully you too will have a big problem with Qatar hosting anything.
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 5:29 pm

I think your missing the point, but if you had a nice time out there alls well I am sure.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Signed, though I'm not sure how effective it will be...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Elias

Elias

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm

i dont think the british are in any position to lecture on how to behave.............

remind me how we got the empire !
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Lord Aviva wrote:
i dont think the british are in any position to lecture on how to behave.............

by the cunning use of flags Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Signed. I also doubt it will make any difference in the grand scheme of things but I am a long-time supporter of lost causes.

The whole World Cup being awarded to Qatar stinks. It's 45-50 degrees on average in June and July but the Qatari authorities have come up with a plan to build air-conditioned stadia but it's the 90% of the time that you're not at a match that will be a huge problem. Why do you think Scotland are trying to get there world ranking to plummet? To make sure they don't qualify obviously. Imagine all those white-skinned ginger haired jocks wandering around looking for a legal bar?

If ever there was a rich fans only tournament, then this is it. How many of your average Joe fans will be able to stay in Doha for 3 or 4 weeks?

Homosexuality is against the law so Sepp Blatter's advice for gay fans was go to the tournament but don't have sex. Easy as that. Why do these politicians debate for years and years changing laws every five minutes when the answer is staring them in the face all the time?

The stadia being purpose built for the World Cup, by immigrant workers from countries like India and Sri Lanka as well as from other arab states, and not white middle class workers in the oil industry, will mainly only hold around 25,000 which will mean any real fans prepared to go out there will more than likely get fleeced for a ticket they couldn't get through the official channels.

It's always the fans that suffer. Blatter, Platini et al will be living in a 5 star hotel being waited on hand and foot along with all the other leeches, otherwise known as FIFA officials who took bribes to get the World Cup hosted in Qatar, as will the players and the many corporate sponsors like Coca Cola, Macdonalds, Barclaycard etc.

Then there will be the hundreds of tickets reserved for the Qatari royal family and their mega rich neighbours, who will need to discuss how much it would cost for the Tour De France to be held in Abu Dhabi once all of the palms have been greased.

The Open Championship is going to be held at 5 different courses in the UAE from now on, as the R & A felt the British courses were too easy and they wanted more bunkers.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Money fucks football shock.
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm

What jock said with bells on. Good to see the latest albino multi, that's the problem when the telly is shit
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
What jock said with bells on. Good to see the latest albino multi, that's the problem when the telly is shit

He's not bunney.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 am

I signed it too................. but it won't make any difference if my experience of the Middle East is anything to go by. Poor and uneducated immigrant workers are there to be used and basically abused.
They have to change from within and that is unlikely to happen for a very long time.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 am

Signed! But workers rights was the very last thing on FIFA officials minds as they were getting their grubby little hands on Qatari cash.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
Lord Aviva wrote:

by the cunning use of flags Very Happy

by the flagging use of cnuts
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 11:06 am

When Sepp Blatter was asked who his favourite Qatar player was he said Eric Clapton .
Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 pm

greengenes wrote:
When Sepp Blatter was asked who his favourite Qatar player was he said Eric Clapton .

lol!

That's supposed to be one of the reasons why the World Cup is being held in Qatar, to spread the football gospel, encourage lesser countries to develop as footballing nations.

It has been a corporate feast for years now. McDonalds and Barclaycard plastered all over anything to do with the World Cup, everybody is the official drink, or official credit card or official nasal hair trimmer of the FIFA World Cup. The 2012 Olympics was no different and probably because it was held here it was even easier to spot these official partners, but it also highlighted how few ordinary people get a chance to actually go and see an event they wanted to.

In the tennis first round I believe there were only about 4 tickets available at all to see Djokovic play, as all the other seats had already gone to these big companies.

So for all the money that will be spent on the Qatar World Cup, with the very best accommodation for players and officials, state of the art stadia purpose built for the tournament and luxurious hotels for the lucky fans who will be able to afford to go, the losers will be real football fans from all nations who just will not be able to spend the huge sums required to go to Qatar and stay the duration of the tournament.

The prawn sandwich brigade will love it though. Padded seats in an air-conditioned stadium, refreshments brought to your seat and huge bar areas where fans can gather and chat whilst watching the game through a plexi-glass window. A bit like yesterday at the Arsenal v Newcastle game at the Emirates, where nearly 10 minutes into the second half the stands were still only half full as customers returned to their seats from the bar areas.

Welcome to football 2012, the upper class game.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I ackshorely quite liked that joke, greengenes.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
hmdr

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 4:01 pm

While people like Blatter are involved you have to suspect there are more things than meet the eye.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Qatar World Cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qatar World Cup   Qatar World Cup Empty

Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup
Page 1 of 1