Tringreen
Dingle
david_fisher
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 am

With the recent admission by JB that the club is struggling to find a qualified Chairman (even though an experienced football man lives in Plymouth) and Damon's post recently that one of the successes of the old regime was Peter Jones' 5 year plan why is Peter so quiet and does he really believe that the club is making progress where it counts?

I've met Peter once and he seemed a passionate and committed Argyle fan. He used to post eloquently on Pasoti after he left the board mainly on the subject of how the board should be communicating more effectively with its supporters, marketing the club and how it needs to compete with the ever decreasing family budget for luxuries and entertainment.

Why so silent now?

This is not intended as an open goal for the conspiracy theorists (although they may well be right) but a genuine question. Does he see it? If he does then does he have any influence? I can't believe that he's accepted a position on the board for the car park pass and free tickets, maybe he has.

I get why supporters who have never had influence within the club climbing a greasy pole and being attracted by the "stardom" of being on the inside. I get why JB doesn't want to fund a football team. I just don't get Peter Jones' role....
Back to top Go down
david_fisher

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 am

I've been wondering what exactly it is that Peter actually does?

Maybe he is just there for the car park pass and free tickets, and of course yesterday he had the added bonus of sitting next to our latest director Mr Newell.
Back to top Go down
Dingle

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 am

The announcement of a new director with skills, popularity, experience joining the board would surely be welcomed and announced loudly from the hilltops (if for no other reason than to try and take attention away from the dire situation on the pitch).

If however, the latest addition to the board had none of these qualities ...

What has happened to the honesty and transparency the long-suffering REAL FANS were promised Mr Jones?
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 am

I'm not so sure he doesn't still post, but that's just my theory.

I can't believe he is so quiet either. Maybe behind the scenes he's very vocal and telling James brent how dire the situation is, and he's trying to appear calm in public. A bit like a swan paddling furiously under water whilst from above the water it looks effortless.

If he is just sitting on his hands nodding his head as Mr Brent shows him more development plans then shame in him.

I doubt this is true though. I expect he's not being listened to, or is vying with others who have Mr Brents ear. How could he fail to be worrying and not be giving Mr Brent advice as the only football man on the board?

Come Wednesday night I can see the crowd dipping well below 6000, and only last week JB was saying how 6300 wasn't quite enough to break even.

Maybe another abject performance in front of 5000 is the kick up the ass they need to take decisive action? So far in his managerial career Fletcher seems to have the knack of pulling a decent performance out of the fire when it could be a make or break game, only to draw the next game and then refer to type and have another string of poor results, which is then followed by a surprise away win.

I can honestly see us getting no more than 4 points from the next 4 league games, and that's being ever optimistic, because on league positions we could be staring at 4 defeats, and that would plunge us into the relegation fight again, just in time for Christmas.

If we do manage 4 points he'll almost certainly stay, but a heavy defeat to shitty would surely be too much?

Come on Mr Jones, what do you have to say? What positives can fans take from our season so far? Which direction are we headed in? What progress has been made?

If you're happy with Fletcher and our situation, let's hear it please.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 am

Post Holloway, PJ was interviewed [it's still on GOS] and showed his understanding of the club.
He also used to feed some of us militants on Pasoti snippets of information.
Nool was always having a dig at him.

What has changed ?
Why is he backing idiotic people and plans ?
I suppose, now that Brent owns the club and he is the only show in town, PJ could be keeping his nose clean, smiling in faces but waiting for his opportunity to seize some sort of ownership ?
I wouldn't trust anyone who could be so calculating and supportive of the clowns who would appear to have Brent's ear.

Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 am

But Jones would say he is communicating with the fans ... he sat next to one all last night.
The only problem is it's the wrong fan and Argyle's Mr Unpopular. What's more there's nothing to be said, as they appear to sing from the same hymn sheet.

As for the transparency promised by Jones, I think the continuing withdrawl of most Contingency participants from internet forums says it all .. how much more clear can the club be. It obviously shouts US and THEM... what a surprise. His transparency thing was just his sales pitch, means absolutely nothing in REAL terms. Just as he said a professional football club is hugely important to the economy of Plymouth. No it's not, absolute nonsense, and even less so now formerly paid posts remain unfilled and volunteering is the order of the day.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 am

Nick Wall wrote:
With the recent admission by JB that the club is struggling to find a qualified Chairman (even though an experienced football man lives in Plymouth) and Damon's post recently that one of the successes of the old regime was Peter Jones' 5 year plan why is Peter so quiet and does he really believe that the club is making progress where it counts?

I've met Peter once and he seemed a passionate and committed Argyle fan. He used to post eloquently on Pasoti after he left the board mainly on the subject of how the board should be communicating more effectively with its supporters, marketing the club and how it needs to compete with the ever decreasing family budget for luxuries and entertainment.

Why so silent now?

This is not intended as an open goal for the conspiracy theorists (although they may well be right) but a genuine question. Does he see it? If he does then does he have any influence? I can't believe that he's accepted a position on the board for the car park pass and free tickets, maybe he has.

I get why supporters who have never had influence within the club climbing a greasy pole and being attracted by the "stardom" of being on the inside. I get why JB doesn't want to fund a football team. I just don't get Peter Jones' role....

No offence, but there's a hell of a lot more to the job that that.

PS That's also the "qualities" that The President brings to the table, which rather proves the point.
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:

Why so silent now?

PS That's also the "qualities" that The President brings to the table, which rather proves the point.

I don't think he was saying that there isn't more to the job than that but more expressing surprise that Peter Jones appears silent, given his previous open thoughts on the situation...
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:

Why so silent now?

I don't think he was saying that there isn't more to the job than that but more expressing surprise that Peter Jones appears silent, given his previous open thoughts on the situation...

Indeed Mr Innocent, I did.

Grovey - Apologies if I confused. Mentioned his previous posting as he has gone rather quiet compared to his exiled days under Stapes. I believe Jones is a marketing man or as he says himself...an independent strategic thinker......what the feck is one of those...?

"I now work as an independent strategic thinker. Principal clients:
•The Football League
•City of Plymouth
•Sport England
•Christie's (current)
•British Amateur Boxing Association (current)
•South Gloucestershire Council (current"
Back to top Go down
Jon L

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I fail to see how he can be classed as a 'football man'.

Unless I'm mistaken, his only previous experience in football was a short period as a board member. He was never Chairman, never involved with day to day running (CEO type) and only was involved during successful times.

Whilst I accept that is about 1000 times more experience than anyone else currently involved, it would measure about 0.00001 on the footballing equivalent of the richter scale.
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Peter Jones, disappointing to say the very least.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Jon L wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, his only previous experience in football was a short period as a board member. He was never Chairman, never involved with day to day running (CEO type) and only was involved during successful times.

Whilst I accept that is about 1000 times more experience than anyone else currently involved, it would measure about 0.00001 on the footballing equivalent of the richter scale.

This is actually very true.

Prior to Nic Warren putting up the vast majority of the booty to buy out Dan Macauley, Jones was as much a 'football man' as any of us. He was a fan, no more, no less. He then took the Vice Chairman role, but as Jon points out, it was Up Up Up all the way with Sturrock on board, so Jones never had to try and deal with any sort of crisis. He was then off up the road with a hefty profit on his shares, before it all went pear-shaped again.

Football isn't his job or his career.

We truly are rudderless. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Maybe Tony Wrathall's in the frame? After all he was in the business lounge again recently.

No doubt hobnobbing with the directors box boys again. Or will they just have caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of their eyes again whilst talking to a player's wife?

He may not be sponsoring matches, but he's certainly made welcome by a few people.
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Jon L wrote:

Prior to Nic Warren putting up the vast majority of the booty to buy out Dan Macauley, Jones was as much a 'football man' as any of us. He was a fan, no more, no less. He then took the Vice Chairman role, but as Jon points out, it was Up Up Up all the way with Sturrock on board, so Jones never had to try and deal with any sort of crisis. He was then off up the road with a hefty profit on his shares, before it all went pear-shaped again.

Apologies all but my footballing man reference in Plymouth was a reference to Michael Dunford who Damon confirmed over the weekend is still a resident of fair city. How the hell Brent hasn't given him a call, even to act in a temporary role, is mystifying. Peter must know he's available and Peter must know that he's forgotten more than any of them have ever known about running a football club.

Maybe though they don't want someone who knows what they're doing...?
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Nick Wall wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Jon L wrote:

Apologies all but my footballing man reference in Plymouth was a reference to Michael Dunford who Damon confirmed over the weekend is still a resident of fair city. How the hell Brent hasn't given him a call, even to act in a temporary role, is mystifying. Peter must know he's available and Peter must know that he's forgotten more than any of them have ever known about running a football club.

Maybe though they don't want someone who knows what they're doing...?

Ding!

Who needs Durnford, we've got Newell! la la la la la la la la la la la, la la la la la la la la.
Back to top Go down
Jon L

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm

My post wasn't aimed at you Nick - I was just commenting on what seems a widely accepted fact amongst the fanbase, that PJ is the only 'football man' on the current board, when I dont actually believe he has any football experience at all.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Am I the only one worried by the way some posters seem to be thinking?

As in:

Peter Jones was on the Board when the club last got promotion but left before the shit hit the fan, ergo he should be chairman

Dunford- pretty much the same as above

Damien Lezner- made money and left, before his business went tits up, but is now posting on here stuff about what he claims happened when he was on the Board, so he's a jolly good fellow who should perhaps be given another chance.

Is it only a question of time (and a few strategic posts on here) before we start asking for Dan the Man to come back?
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Am I the only one worried by the way some posters seem to be thinking?

As in:

Peter Jones was on the Board when the club last got promotion but left before the shit hit the fan, ergo he should be chairman

Dunford- pretty much the same as above

Damien Lezner- made money and left, before his business went tits up, but is now posting on here stuff about what he claims happened when he was on the Board, so he's a jolly good fellow who should perhaps be given another chance.

Is it only a question of time (and a few strategic posts on here) before we start asking for Dan the Man to come back?

Doesn't that bode well scratch What would you rather have happened? He lost all his money because the shares crashed?

I don't know who is the right man to be our chairman, but I do know we need someone, plus possibly a Director of Football if Fletcher has Brent's backing.

Who would you want Grovey?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Who's saying Jones should be Chairman Grovey?

Certainly no one on this thread.
Back to top Go down
hmdr

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I can't understand this nonsence that Jones is a football man, if it wasn't for Michael Foot we would not of heard of him, I would say he is part of the problem not the solution.
Back to top Go down
Jon L

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm

clean sweep of the boardroom required for me I think. However now the assets have all been stripped who will would want it?

It is all very well marketing it, but who would take a 126 year old club with no history of ever being in the top flight, no land assets and nothing but a bunch of kids and journeymen as playing 'assets'

No one with any sense, that's for sure
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm

As Brent owns damn near all the club, he should be the Chairman.

If, and it's a big if he wants someone to run the football club for him, that person should be someone with a proven track record in a) running a business & b) running a football club on a shoestring.

As with any appointment the process should involve interviewing (at least twice) all the candidates on your shortlist.

The process should not consist of thinking of the names of anyone who's been remotely connected with thew club in the past and is not called Paul Stapleton and deeming that sufficient qualification.

Posters on here constantly critisize El Pres and the other guy, then seem desperate to offer similarly (un)qualified people as the answer to the club's problems.

I would humbly suggest that anyone who is currently at the club, is, bythat mere fact, not the answer, nor is anyone who was happy to work with or for the previous regime.

There is more of the worls outside of Devon & Cornwall than within.
Back to top Go down

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 pm

How about Richard Holliday? Or David Felwick. Or even Martin Baker come to that? Or should it all be down to Jason Turner who was brought in by Ridsdale? Who have I missed?
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I'll just throw a spanner in the works of this thread and point out that Jason Turner, our general manager has two decades of football experience and, despite Jones's nigh on faultless role in the promotion years, is comfortably the most experienced football man at the club, especially in the day to day side of things. There was also an article in The Herald saying that Jason Turner was primarily responsible for the football side of things with Martin Baker responsible for the off field stuff.

Given the fact that he's got by a mile the most experience and has been designated as the football man, I'm amazed at how little awareness of Turner there is, both here and on Pasoti.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

You have to admire the way that Peter Jones has managed to see nearly every Argyle media outlet get gobbled up and stay relentlessly on message. Newell offered Pasoti on a plate. PL2 did the same with Vital. Webb has neutered the limited dissent via Radio Devon commentary. Errington has been booted out of the commentary box and must be worried that his sources at the club will dry up because he's well and truly screwed if they do. And apart from here there is naff all else. Stepford Argyle rules.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

Peter Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Jones   Peter Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Peter Jones
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next