Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What type of owner would make you happy?

Go down 
+4
pepsipete
Freathy
X Isle
125+1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
125+1

125+1

What type of owner would make you happy? Empty
PostSubject: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:58 am

Forget having a trust owned club as that would only ever happen if Argyle were liquidated, so i ask what would satisfy you?

Ive seen many owners come and go over the years, some achieving promotion, alot of relagation, and also good and bad managers, some shocking kits, but continuing financial struggle.

The current potential new owners, are they potentially any better or worse than what the club has ever had.

Peter Risdale is only an interim owner, that is obvious, Kevin Heaney WILL be the real owner of the football club once his interest in Truro has ended, so i ask is he really that bad.

Yes the deal has been dragging on, players,staff and fans suffering, but i can understand wanting the golden share transferred before any real money is handed over.

So i ask, if 4 months ago, Kevin Heaney came to Argyle paid the money owed, and was the new owner without any truro links or secrecy would there be a problem? Would he be any worse than previous owners?

I can totally understand people getting annoyed and fruastrated by the lack of transparacy, but we know the reason for that know, all to do with the problems with dual ownership.

I dont welcome the new regime, if the deal is concluded, but i also accept and will appreciate having a PAFC still breathing in the football league.

There was never a massive cue forming to purchase the club, James Brent seems to be active know, but why not months ago when he was really required to step up.

Some say if the club is liquidated they will be there to support a reformed club whatever league they are in, but for myself and many others, if this club is liquidated, any new club formed would not be PAFC there is only 1 and no substitute will be good enough.

I always look at a football club like a family, and as with a family, you may have terrible parents, a dodgy brother and a distasteful sister, but you still love and support them through thick and thin.

All im saying is there is no sugar daddy out there, and PAFC will only ever be as big as the family that supports them.

So i ask again what type of owner would satisfy you, and would they really be interested in Argyle.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am

One with money would help.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:11 am

Ideally a fans co-operative.

I know that would mean living entirely within our means but i'm far more comfortable with having integrity, transparency and unity whilst being shit than being in a moral vacuum but good.

Trouble is the choice isn't that black and white, the twin strangulation of satisfying a private landlord and keeping Ridders in the manner to which he's grown accustomed means we're gonna be a moral vaccum AND shit. It's the worst of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 am

A multi billionaire who wants to pick up a shell of a club (with real potential), build it up and get it from the 4th division to the Premier League in record time.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm with Freathy, preferably one with Plymouth connections. The ideal would be me when I have won the Euro millions or My Australian Uncle I never heard of dies and leaves me an opal/gold/platinum mine.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:59 pm

125+1 wrote:
Forget having a trust owned club as that would only ever happen if Argyle were liquidated, so i ask what would satisfy you?

Ive seen many owners come and go over the years, some achieving promotion, alot of relagation, and also good and bad managers, some shocking kits, but continuing financial struggle.

The current potential new owners, are they potentially any better or worse than what the club has ever had.

Peter Risdale is only an interim owner, that is obvious, Kevin Heaney WILL be the real owner of the football club once his interest in Truro has ended, so i ask is he really that bad.

Yes the deal has been dragging on, players,staff and fans suffering, but i can understand wanting the golden share transferred before any real money is handed over.

So i ask, if 4 months ago, Kevin Heaney came to Argyle paid the money owed, and was the new owner without any truro links or secrecy would there be a problem? Would he be any worse than previous owners?

I can totally understand people getting annoyed and fruastrated by the lack of transparacy, but we know the reason for that know, all to do with the problems with dual ownership.

I dont welcome the new regime, if the deal is concluded, but i also accept and will appreciate having a PAFC still breathing in the football league.

There was never a massive cue forming to purchase the club, James Brent seems to be active know, but why not months ago when he was really required to step up.

Some say if the club is liquidated they will be there to support a reformed club whatever league they are in, but for myself and many others, if this club is liquidated, any new club formed would not be PAFC there is only 1 and no substitute will be good enough.

I always look at a football club like a family, and as with a family, you may have terrible parents, a dodgy brother and a distasteful sister, but you still love and support them through thick and thin.

All im saying is there is no sugar daddy out there, and PAFC will only ever be as big as the family that supports them.

So i ask again what type of owner would satisfy you, and would they really be interested in Argyle.

Guilfoyle did not allow any chance of a queue forming to purchase the club,as by his own admisssion,it was neither marketed or advertised.The involvement of Ridsdale was done on a nod and a wink basis via a call from himself to Stapes and it has always struck me as too much of a coincidence that Guilfoyle was appointed as administrator,bearing in mind his Leeds connections and previous involvement with Ridders.Looks like a preconceived stitch up to me,exactly the same as the Japanese fiasco-Stapes knew Tony Campbell,who knew Kagami,etc,etc.It isn't necessarily a sugar daddy thats needed-hard nosed businessmen with an eye for potential for both creating a successful football club and thence making money would do.I don't hold with the stuff about the new owner having to be an Argyle fan or at least having some local connection,either.Plenty of owners of progressive football clubs have had no previous connection with them or the surrounds,Hammam at Cardiff,Whelan at Wigan,Oyston at Blackpool spring to mind.

When you speak of the "big family",presume you are talking about crowds? Plenty of times in the recent and not so recent past,Argyle have had gates comfortably big enough to make progress.Certainly,even in our recent stay in the CCC,our gates were bigger than Blackpool and Burnley,going back further,they used to be bigger than Saints,Norwich,etc.It's so much straitjacketed janner accountant thinking to directly equate gates to investment/results,as the two clubs mentioned have proved.Stagnation only leads to one outcome-regression and inevitable decline,both playing wise and financially.Our club has never had the leadership with the courage and imagination to seize the moment and make real progress,a long term improvement in that aspect would at least be a start.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am

Greenskin wrote:
125+1 wrote:

Guilfoyle did not allow any chance of a queue forming to purchase the club,as by his own admisssion,it was neither marketed or advertised.The involvement of Ridsdale was done on a nod and a wink basis via a call from himself to Stapes and it has always struck me as too much of a coincidence that Guilfoyle was appointed as administrator,bearing in mind his Leeds connections and previous involvement with Ridders.Looks like a preconceived stitch up to me,exactly the same as the Japanese fiasco-Stapes knew Tony Campbell,who knew Kagami,etc,etc.It isn't necessarily a sugar daddy thats needed-hard nosed businessmen with an eye for potential for both creating a successful football club and thence making money would do.I don't hold with the stuff about the new owner having to be an Argyle fan or at least having some local connection,either.Plenty of owners of progressive football clubs have had no previous connection with them or the surrounds,Hammam at Cardiff,Whelan at Wigan,Oyston at Blackpool spring to mind.

When you speak of the "big family",presume you are talking about crowds? Plenty of times in the recent and not so recent past,Argyle have had gates comfortably big enough to make progress.Certainly,even in our recent stay in the CCC,our gates were bigger than Blackpool and Burnley,going back further,they used to be bigger than Saints,Norwich,etc.It's so much straitjacketed janner accountant thinking to directly equate gates to investment/results,as the two clubs mentioned have proved.Stagnation only leads to one outcome-regression and inevitable decline,both playing wise and financially.Our club has never had the leadership with the courage and imagination to seize the moment and make real progress,a long term improvement in that aspect would at least be a start.

Hope you don't keep on stating these truths on Pasoti Greenie, or you'll be accused of being a one trick pony !

Know how you feel though. It just won't sink in to the heads of the Aviva masses. At least youm a praaaaper fan who still goes to matches jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't want the organic model, I've got my gardens and allotment for that.
I don't want a crisp millioonaire from Lancashire, I don't want a petrochemical billionaire from the Far East. I would accept a local Chris Dawson but he can't stomach football, and I can't stomach his politics.
I would like to have a Supporters' Trust but not the nascent Pasoticentric bunch .... no thank you ... a recipe for disaster. Would they be any more caring of the park and it's environs than Heaney or Todd ?

Actually, short of Barcelona that ain't going to happen in English football, what I really want is a mixed economy in football terms. ... a sort of Chinese capitalism.... a form of English responsible endeavour with public controls.
In effect give me Swansea City .... now. What a great model, what a great balance of private and public, and no wonder they survived so well the pitfalls and blows we suffered. I'm envious.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
I don't want the organic model, I've got my gardens and allotment for that.
I don't want a crisp millioonaire from Lancashire, I don't want a petrochemical billionaire from the Far East. I would accept a local Chris Dawson but he can't stomach football, and I can't stomach his politics.
I would like to have a Supporters' Trust but not the nascent Pasoticentric bunch .... no thank you ... a recipe for disaster. Would they be any more caring of the park and it's environs than Heaney or Todd ?

Actually, short of Barcelona that ain't going to happen in English football, what I really want is a mixed economy in football terms. ... a sort of Chinese capitalism.... a form of English responsible endeavour with public controls.
In effect give me Swansea City .... now. What a great model, what a great balance of private and public, and no wonder they survived so well the pitfalls and blows we suffered. I'm envious.

But i thought swansea had a ground part owned by retail developers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Just answering what type of owners I would like, not the exact details.
There are some bits I don't want from Swansea ... the stupid white shirts obviously and any more uncalled for retail developments ... we need less shopping, not more. we need to make useful things, not buy crap.
I like the mixture of private and public at Swansea, but do not know if their new ground is situated in a precious and loved City park like we are ? I only remember a tatty Vetchfeld from a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
argyledj

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm

somebody like dave whelan who always comes across as a decent bloke, i see the trust have written to guilfoyle and offered to buy the club for a quid,i may be in a minority but i hope heaney does complete if that is the alternative as in its current form it's more of a members club and if your not in the clique you will never get near the top table.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 pm

argyledj wrote:
somebody like dave whelan who always comes across as a decent bloke, i see the trust have written to guilfoyle and offered to buy the club for a quid,i may be in a minority but i hope heaney does complete if that is the alternative as in its current form it's more of a members club and if your not in the clique you will never get near the top table.

I have to disagree Argyledj, although I agree with your sentiments. Yes the Trust is very much a clique within pasoti and again within selected pasoti members, but with a democracy that will be put to bed over time and a true and well intentional trust will be formed.

Back to the question....

Someone that gives a fuk!

I have no objection to someone making a few bob by way of the club, it is a business after all, but I would like someone that would put club first and profit second.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am

GOB wrote:
I have to disagree Argyledj, although I agree with your sentiments. Yes the Trust is very much a clique within pasoti and again within selected pasoti members, but with a democracy that will be put to bed over time and a true and well intentional trust will be formed.

Sorry GOB, I think the opposite will happen...

Because of the apathy of the trust members at the last 'vote' or consultation - well under less than 10% bothering to respond...

At these coming elections, because of the way the trust operates - using Pasoti as its base, and as its only point for discusssion, most of the candidates will be pasoti and GT members pushing their agendas! Anyone who isn't 'known', or 'approved' by "senior Pasoti posters" (LOL. I love that expression) simply won't stand a chance!!

More than that... Most of the people who will bother to vote will be pasoti supporters. Quite simply, their candidates will win, and as predicted, the Trust will just become the 'political wing' of these two groups, whose leadership these days for the main part, seem to be almost one and the same.

The idea that the trust will be a voice of a wide range of Argyle fans is already dead and buried. Already those ISC members who voted against forgiving the loan to the GT's won't admit to it openly. Why is that? The bullying culture of Pasoti is the reason. Sorry, but the trust already is just a Poodle for Newell and his friends.

I predict membership of the Trust will drop next year because of this situation, leaving just Pasoti supporters at its core.

As for who do I want as an owner?

It's probably too late to decide the next one - likely to be the Riddler, but the one after him?

I am guessing the Riddler will sell at the first chance he gets to make a decent buck.
After this recent debacle, that would mean selling the club with little or no debt at all.
It would be his dream to be in the promotion race this season....

So, I like freathy would like a 'cash rich' owner to buy us. Local is best, but as an 'exile' I know it makes no difference at all, if your heart is in the right place.

But I don't think there are any...

I am guessing that "consortium" talks will be starting to be thought about in several 'movers and shakers' heads as they look to the future. Peter Jones would be an obvious speculative candidate. It would veer to the extreme like Stapes, and the Trust would talk about it, etc...

A few people might take a serious look if there is little debt. However, if as suspected, there is no 'property' to go with things, there is much less chance to make money!

So why bother...?

Unless you move Argyle from Home Park!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

What will be will be Ricks, the fans will get what the fans deserve. - There's a chance for fans to overturn the current pasoti regime, if the fans wish to ignore it then so be it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Hello everyone

I'd personally like a greedy provincial accountant preferably without any serious money of his own, prepared to shit on anyone or anything to climb up the social ladder. If there isn't one available I would like a failed businessman again without any money of his own, rather relying on some other deluded fool to fund his pyramid scheme to develop the surrounding environs.

Failing that, Brent will have to do. Very Happy

Last edited by mouldyoldgoat on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 28)
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:20 pm

peter_dout wrote:
Hello everyone

I'd personally like a greedy provincial accountant preferably without any serious money of his own, prepared to shit on anyone or anything to climb up the social ladder.

You mean like Stapleton?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:27 pm

peter_dout wrote:
Hello everyone

I'd personally like a greedy provincial accountant preferably without any serious money of his own, prepared to shit on anyone or anything to climb up the social ladder. If there isn't one available I would like a failed businessman again without any money of his own, rather relying on some other deluded fool to fund his pyramid scheme to develop the surrounding environs.

Hello Pete. In a two horse race I would go for Brent if for no other reason than he intended to pay up all the staff arrears... someting which I think we can be pretty sure the Heaney Ridsdale pre pack never had any intention of doing. And that's even before I think of Heaney's ideas for the park that he's got no chance of seeing through.
You're more than welcome on here ... have aways thought you try to have an objective eye on things. Pete will be pleased to have another Pete contributing, and so will Pete, although he's on holiday in the sun. In fact you Petes have a thread all to yourselves somewhere here.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:31 pm

peter_dout wrote:
Hello everyone

Welcome to AT Peter,a splendid first post,you'll fit in well!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:09 pm

peter_dout wrote:
Hello everyone

As long as he's a real gent who works his balls off for us . If he attends a fanfest and puts £50 in the bucket, he will have earnt my eternal respect and trust.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What type of owner would make you happy?   What type of owner would make you happy? Empty

Back to top Go down

What type of owner would make you happy?
Page 1 of 1