Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done Empty
PostSubject: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 pm

It isn't easy for any City fan to sing the praises of Plymouth, however I visited the devil's heartland today to pay my respect to our Armed Forces and have to say your city did a fantastic job on the Hoe. Thousands turned out on a sunny day to thank our Armed Forces and I was impressed by the whole event. Not sure many other Cities could have done a better job. Marching bands, Gun Crews, Red Arrows fly past, what looked like a Spitfire/Hurricane flying above the City (truly fantastic) and much more. All very dignified, very professional and what was great to see was the huge numbers of people who turned out to pay their respects. It made me proud to be British and Proud to be a Devonian.

Well done Plymouth and thank you

Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Good post Red.Did not go,but as many of you know i live in Lympstone witch is pretty much a Royal Marine strong hold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:42 pm

The Red Star wrote:
It isn't easy for any City fan to sing the praises of Plymouth, however I visited the devil's heartland today to pay my respect to our Armed Forces and have to say your city did a fantastic job on the Hoe. Thousands turned out on a sunny day to thank our Armed Forces and I was impressed by the whole event. Not sure many other Cities could have done a better job. Marching bands, Gun Crews, Red Arrows fly past, what looked like a Spitfire/Hurricane flying above the City (truly fantastic) and much more. All very dignified, very professional and what was great to see was the huge numbers of people who turned out to pay their respects. It made me proud to be British and Proud to be a Devonian.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Plymouth turns out for anything on the Hoe.... they bus, walk, and drive in from the subhurbs for fireworks through to to motorbike mega rides and funfairs, and very often in far larger numbers.
It's the venue, and what a venue, the best in the country. It's what many Plymouthians do, it's a Summer pilgramage.
Many people confuse the venue and the bands with what is being promoted. Hence beautiful churches are beautiful for a reason ... they imbue a feeling and awe that isn't necessarily anything to do with the truth of the matter at hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Penz wrote:
The Red Star wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Plymouth turns out for anything on the Hoe.... they bus, walk, and drive in from the subhurbs for fireworks through to to motorbike mega rides and funfairs, and very often in far larger numbers.
It's the venue, and what a venue, the best in the country. It's what many Plymouthians do, it's a Summer pilgramage.
Many people confuse the venue and the bands with what is being promoted. Hence beautiful churches are beautiful for a reason ... they imbue a feeling and awe that isn't necessarily anything to do with the truth of the matter at hand.

Well, your City was shown in a good light to me...the banner on the Barbican saying Thank You to Our armed Forces was also a great tribute. it is easy for someone like me to slag off your city because most Exeter people were brought up to do that (myself included) but I actually think plymouth did good today
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:59 pm

The Red Star wrote:

Very gracious Mr Star.

I actually think you are one of a rare breed. One that can be full on in their loyalty to their club, and city; hate your nearest rivals with a passion, but still have the humility and good grace to recognise something like you did today.

In the world of the natural cynic, (and I'm definitely one of those) I'd say I was fairly high up the scale. But dear old Penz is the creme de la creme... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I thought it was brilliant. What better location is there for such an event. I can't think of anywhere where else you could have all those aroured vehicles on display, superb aircraft displays and Royal Navy ships sailing past firing 21 gun salutes! Wherever it's held next year won't be a patch on that. A fitting tribute to the Armed Forces.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Exeter fans don't hate Torquay do they?

Spot on post. I was there today and it was quite spectacular. There again I'm boring and easily pleased apparently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm

The Red Arrows flew over Trowbridge this afternoon, so I guess they were appearing in quite a few locations today. I'm not really very pro military, but I do recognise the great job they do, whether they should be in half of these countries fighting or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm

They don't pick who to fight Jock that would be Politicians. I was in the military and have no time for the Blairs of this world. At least the Queen sends her sons but bet your bottom dollar Blair wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done   Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done Empty

Back to top Go down

Armed Forces Day in Plymouth - Well Done
Page 1 of 1