HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A New Club

Go down 
+2
Charlie Wood
Tringreen
6 posters

Should we start again?
FC United of Argyle - based on the FCUM model of disgruntled United fans. Run as the alternative to PAFC
A New Club Vote_lcap31%A New Club Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
FC Plymouth Argyle - based on FC Halifax town - a new club to replace the bankrupt old one
A New Club Vote_lcap23%A New Club Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
AFC Plymouth - based on AFC Wimbledon - if Heaney moves PAFC to Truro
A New Club Vote_lcap8%A New Club Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Plymouth Argyle FC - continue to support the morally bankrupt regime of PR/KH
A New Club Vote_lcap15%A New Club Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
None of the above
A New Club Vote_lcap23%A New Club Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 am

A slightly spurious poll, but an attempt to provoke a bit of discussion and to see if I can work out how to create polls.

Last edited by Frank Bullitt on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 am

It's a hard one and one I can't think about until the door is finally shut.

Out of all the PB's I think we've managed to gain the worst nightmare scenario but there's still an outside chance of the deal collapsing.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 am

Don't know enough about the first 3 alternatives to make a decision and am with GOB on the wait and see. Even the Aviva mob will come round to starving out the club if the nightmare turns to reality and we are but a shell, used as a front for personal gain.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am

None of the above, after 40 years + of false dawns and heartache I think I might just have to admit defeat and realise it's over.
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:49 am

Charlie Wood wrote:
None of the above, after 40 years + of false dawns and heartache I think I might just have to admit defeat and realise it's over.

Edited for you Charlie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am

Charlie Wood wrote:

Yooum naaat goin Shrewsbury then ? Football is shite these days anyway.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:22 pm

If pushed then the fourth option for me.

If Argyle can't make it after 125 years of trying then what chance has some reincarnation of Argyle starting from scratch have? It's success I want and therefore not the slightest bit interested in watching some amateur outfit in the tenth tier of English football where even getting to the first round of the FA Cup is far less likely than the current Argyle getting to Champions League final.

Not for me thanks.

Last edited by Freathy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Soul searching.I see the staff have had their wages deferred again.Surely this issue must come to a head soon? Taking the piss,it really is,especially after signing three new players who presumably came down here on the presumption that some money will come their way.So,they get paid ahead of the staff,is that correct? Tis shameful,utterly shameful.Back on topic,i think on balance,every effort must be made to keep the current club,although with the deepest of reservations.I just think of the parallel with Brighton,who played at Gillingham for a couple of seasons after their club had been wrecked and ground sold by a property developer,Archer i think his name was.They retained their status and see where they are now,i can see how difficult it could be to shift the spivs who apparently own Argyle now,slightly different from Brighton.It would take a long time for any new club to rise up the pyramid again,if at all,although surely it's unthinkable that a city like Plymouth should not have a team representing it at a reasonable level? Devil and the deep blue seas,i can well understand the argument on both sides.

PP-a couple of questions;

a.Do you know if the staff at Argyle are represented by a trade union-[it would seem doubtful,i realise ]

and

b.Would it be possible for PCC to compulsory purchase Home park back from the owners should it be deemed necessary?
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:27 pm

"B" is the question I would like the answer to as well.

I think everything that can be done to save the club should be done but within the realms of acceptable moral boundaries. The problem is that everyone's boundaries are a little different, hence this confusion.

Catch 22: You would have to be a totally thick tool to give someone with a pending court case and a dodgy reputation your hard earned cash....or...don't give him your cash and he closes the shop. - Either way, I think he intends to shut up shop anyway so what's the point in handing over dosh to a dodgy Arthur Daly anyway?

I feel though that sooner or later something's going to happen to get the fans boiling and there will be a "coming together" that will evolve into either the backing the present club 100% or backing/creating a new club. The fire's raring to take off, it just needs the spark.
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Good poll Frank .. all the options there. The Halifax thing for me.
I really can't see another club as opposition while the original Argyle exist, although having said that I did play for Plymouth City when it was set up at Pennycross stadium to challenge Argyle in the 70s. But that was a long time ago, and I think Charlie's thoughts are closer to my own. I have long given up on all football outside of Argyle's division. If I were in my 20s maybe I would feel differently.

I like a win as much as anyone, but it's never only been about 'success' for me ... it's been about history, identity, pride, family and a certain occasional social element. I would enjoy a new Argyle, but they would have to start at a reasonable level ... not a Parkway ... too tired for that.
I believe there will be a lot of resistance in the city and that appeals to me. Just because they might get away with it now, 12 months down the line might see quite a different situation ... I believe this deal is so unpopular that they are vulnerable, especially when they realise they ain't going to get all they think from the council. I also believe a lot of this deal is just about rescheduling all their losses onto the club long term. So boycott for me, I managed 18 months of it against Mccauley and that worked. I can't see Heaney liking the personal flack he's going to get... that sort of thing can be very very very powerful.

As for unions, as far as I'm aware they were not represented and were bulldozed very quickly by Guilfoyle and Ridsdale. I will never support a Ridsdale club here ... never, ever... and no more pasoti either .. I believe that website helped this situation develop with it's very poor leadership... a bunch of yes men.

In the meantime, there's the Pirates if I find myself missing the greasepaint.... hey Gob, maybe I can talk to myself on your new D and C forum. jocolor
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Good poll Frank .. all the options there. The Halifax thing for me.
I really can't see another club as opposition while the original Argyle exist, although having said that I did play for Plymouth City when it was set up at Pennycross stadium to challenge Argyle in the 70s. But that was a long time ago, and I think Charlie's thoughts are closer to my own. I have long given up on all football outside of Argyle's division. If I were in my 20s maybe I would feel differently.

I like a win as much as anyone, but it's never only been about 'success' for me ... it's been about history, identity, pride, family and a certain occasional social element. I would enjoy a new Argyle, but they would have to start at a reasonable level ... not a Parkway ... too tired for that.
I believe there will be a lot of resistance in the city and that appeals to me. Just because they might get away with it now, 12 months down the line might see quite a different situation ... I believe this deal is so unpopular that they are vulnerable, especially when they realise they ain't going to get all they think from the council. I also believe a lot of this deal is just about rescheduling all their losses onto the club long term. So boycott for me, I managed 18 months of it against Mccauley and that worked. I can't see Heaney liking the personal flack he's going to get... that sort of thing can be very very very powerful.

As for unions, as far as I'm aware they were not represented and were bulldozed very quickly by Guilfoyle and Ridsdale. I will never support a Ridsdale club here ... never, ever... and no more pasoti either .. I believe that website helped this situation develop with it's very poor leadership... a bunch of yes men.

In the meantime, there's the Pirates if I find myself missing the greasepaint.... hey Gob, maybe I can talk to myself on your new D and C forum. jocolor

Its interesting you say about Plymouth City. What was their story? Why were they formed and by whom, and with what intent?
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:40 pm

It was a long time ago.... it maybe around the time of Bloom. I seem to remember there being a bit of a split in the boardroom or a fall out between local businessmen similar to the consortium thing, and so one businessman in particular started up the club in the western league . We played at pennycross speedway stadium behind the Cherry Tree. It only lasted for a couple of seasons, ran out of money I think and anyway the stadium was due to be demolished.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Forget his name, and must be careful what I say. Put it this way He and Ridsdale would be a matching pair.
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes, there was certainly something not quite right Pete.
Back to top Go down
argyledj

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 pm

no team could replace argyle so i would just become a casual football fan i would probably go and watch a few games with mates and family who support various teams apart from that england games on the tele.
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
It was a long time ago.... it maybe around the time of Bloom. I seem to remember there being a bit of a split in the boardroom or a fall out between local businessmen similar to the consortium thing, and so one businessman in particular started up the club in the western league . We played at pennycross speedway stadium behind the Cherry Tree. It only lasted for a couple of seasons, ran out of money I think and anyway the stadium was due to be demolished.

It must have been long before Bloom and even Daniels before him. I remember it vaguely, would have been around the 60s'ish?

argyledj, you're right, there will never be a replacement but there can be "another".
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Name might have been Waterfield.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 am

GOB wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

It must have been long before Bloom and even Daniels before him. I remember it vaguely, would have been around the 60s'ish?

argyledj, you're right, there will never be a replacement but there can be "another".

It was the late 60's/early 70's.My dad ran a team in the West Devon sunday league in that era and they used to play against Plymouth City,who fielded a very strong team on sundays as well as saturdays-Duncan Neale played for them after his Argyle career was over.The Bloom connection was that they bankrolled a team called Louis Boutique in the WDSL and spared no expense in attracting the best local players-Peter Bloom's brother ,Michael,was the driving force behind them.They had a lot of clothes shops in town,Louis Boutique,John Conway,Jayce,etc,not sure if they're still in business,i rarely go into the city centre these days.Can't remember who bankrolled Plymouth City,though.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:58 am

Danny Waterfield
Back to top Go down

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:17 am

It's a pity that the PCFC never took off really. I've long believed that one of the reasons for Argyle's dismal failure is because of a lack of local competition in the knowledge that a few bob can be made from bumping about in the bottom three divisions with this so called huge catchment area has been a curse rather then something sent from heaven.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A New Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Club   A New Club Empty

Back to top Go down

A New Club
Page 1 of 1