Warny
Czarcasm
LondonGreen
Freathy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Roy Hodgson for England Empty
PostSubject: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 am

Harry Redknapp hasn't been approached by the FA and Roy Hodgson is to be interviewed for the job today. He's done well with smaller teams like Fulham and West Brom, not sure how he will deal with all the superstars of England though.

He didn't get much time at Liverpool, and didn't pull up any trees in his short spell as manager, but he has managed Inter Milan and didn't do badly. It looks like the safe option to me, but I think if he's given the Euro's as a platform and not too much pressure is put on him, he will be a great manager for them, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 am

The best man for the job. A very clever man and a good manager, but because he has never been famous enough he was never going to succeed at Liverpool. He made his name abroad so he has always been viewed with suspicion by the English game. I think he understands the international game and he understands continental football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 am

He'll fail, but anyone would. Despite the media hype, England players are just not of the caliber of foreign international players.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:58 am

The FA are clearly going down the old 'must be an Englishman' route. And given the last two non-English managers records that's understandable. No-one else seems to be in the frame and Hodgson is a capable manager. At the moment it looks like being a disasterous European championships for England so it's a shame he's not taking the over reins before then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 am

I reckon he'll do as well as anyone could in the long run, but the Euro's are not far away and he hasn't got enough time to instill his style on the team. He will probably play it safe with the usual players for the Euro's, but as soon as they are over, as long as England don't panic and sack him, that's when he will make his mark. Players like Terry, Gerrard and Lampard won't be around after this summer under him, but it will be a helluva gamble to leave them out now.

As an International manager his record is pretty impressive. I would have preferred Redknapp, as a Jock Razz
Back to top Go down
LondonGreen

LondonGreen

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:07 am

I am just pleased all these rumours about Redknapp have messed up the latter part of the season for Spurs Laughing
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am

It seems pretty fashionable in recent times to 'hate' England. You read some comments generally - from born and bred Englishmen - and I can't get my head around their glee when the national team fails. I really can't. 'Overpaid prima donnas' is a line that gets trotted out routinely. Almost as if it's their fault they command huge salaries. Even more strange when you consider they don't get paid to play for England.

Having followed England 'over land and sea' many times down the years, it is a real buzz when they win, which is a lot more often than not (and that's a fact, folks).

I'm also in a minority, but firmly believe that England should go out and try and get the absolute best manager they can get - I really couldn't care less where he was born. I'd take a Mourinho, or a Guardiola (or a Wenger actually) purely and simply because I believe them to be better than, say, a Hodgson. Two or three games in South Africa aside, Cappello's England record was superb, but people will always target the negative angle, and disregard all that is positive, which was the vast majority of his tenure.

What is a tick in the box for Hodgson, as a potential International manager, is his experience of Europeans leagues. But again, for me England should be targeting the very best in World football. They might not get them, but set the bar high, and who knows.

Hodgson has done well at West Brom to get them to comfortable mid-table. but he's at West Brom for a reason. He's not a world-class manager.

After McClarens pathetic stewardship, there was a clamour to go out and get the best, which as far as a CV goes, we did, with Cappello. I believe we should do that again. We won't, because the FA are now bowing to a clamour to appoint an Englishman.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 am

Czarcasm, the players do get paid for playing for England but I believe that since 2007 they have donated their wage to various charities.
Back to top Go down
Warny

Warny

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:26 am

I think Hodgson is ideal - vast experience, very well respected as a coach and a calm head. I also hope that he will be able to have an in-depth role in the technical devleopment of England's youth sides too. When you see someone as inexperienced as Gareth Southgate as head of elite development at the FA, you need someone with real know how to guide at the very least.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:53 pm

GOB wrote:
Czarcasm, the players do get paid for playing for England but I believe that since 2007 they have donated their wage to various charities.

Gob, I believe they get expenses, and a 'match fee', somewhere in the region of £250, which yes, they donate to charity.

So in the grand scheme of things, getting paid, as in wages/salary doesn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

You look at the 66 team and you see 11 legends. You look at the current England team and find it hard to see someone you like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm

according to his wiki;

managed finland , switzerland and the uae, so obviously a perfect choice Laughing

tbh i couldnt care less who manages the england set up, although as ive stated previously, psycho pearce would be my choice if pushed for a name
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Sneinton Green wrote:
according to his wiki;

managed finland , switzerland and the uae, so obviously a perfect choice Laughing

tbh i couldnt care less who manages the england set up, although as ive stated previously, psycho pearce would be my choice if pushed for a name

When he managed Switzerland, he turned them into a half decent team. Not so sure about Finland and the U.A.E. but he has had success at club level all over Europe. Not sure what happened at Liverpool, but everyone seems to have problems at Liverpool. If they lose the F.A.Cup Final Dalglish will probably get the boot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Bernstein as Chairman is pushing the Burton project and the appointment of the England Manager was also with that in mind. They wanted someone who was happy to operate from there as a" technical supremo" working alongside Brooking and Southgate. Hodgson ticks all the boxes, international experience, something of a YES man and relatively cheap. From articles I have read his problems at Liverpool were the regimented training schedules which the players found boring, this may work with average premier league players but when you have the crop of Englands best talent you need to be a bit more expansive and original imo, playing for England should be fun as well as an honour this is where I felt Arry would of come into his own as I believe he would of taken a lot of the pressure off the players.

Time will tell if Woy is a sucess but I see this as a safe appointment by the FA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:56 pm

He might turn them down yet! The papers seem to think he's the cheap option and wouldn't be on as big a salary as Redknapp would've been. It would be funny if he said no to them now. Redknapp would probably tell them to shove it and Pearce would get the job for the Euro's.

Woy might think they're taking the piss after seeing how much Capello got. I wouldn't have thought so though, he sees the job as an honour.
Back to top Go down
SirCumfrance

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm still trying to make up my mind whether this is a good appointment or not. My interest in "Club England" has wained over the years, affected by the media, uninspiring manergerial appointments (McLaren and Capello) and players who seeimingly have better things to do than play for their National side.

There is no doubt that Hodgson has the credentials and the experience of managing club sides both here and overseas, and managing international sides. However, I don't think I'm being unkind when I say that most of the sides he's managed that have seen success have been "smaller" sides. Expectations are lower at these "smaller" sides, and it would appear that Hodgson is at his best when getting, shall we say, less gifted players playing as a unit and playing for each other. The type of players that will listen to what he wants and do as he directs....as should be the case.

The more high profile appointments (Liverpool, Inter and Udinese) were not quite so successful. Is this because he was managing expectations from fans and media as well as players who were not as open to taking direction?

It would be wonderful to see Hodgson do well with England (to be fair, it would be wonderful to see ANY manager do well with England!), and I really hope the players do well for him too.

Does the England manager have to be English? Not in my book. It matters not to me what nationality the manager is, as long as he is the best available manager at the time.

I hear there's a guy could Pep something or other who might be available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 pm

SirCumfrance wrote:
I'm still trying to make up my mind whether this is a good appointment or not. My interest in "Club England" has wained over the years, affected by the media, uninspiring manergerial appointments (McLaren and Capello) and players who seeimingly have better things to do than play for their National side.

There is no doubt that Hodgson has the credentials and the experience of managing club sides both here and overseas, and managing international sides. However, I don't think I'm being unkind when I say that most of the sides he's managed that have seen success have been "smaller" sides. Expectations are lower at these "smaller" sides, and it would appear that Hodgson is at his best when getting, shall we say, less gifted players playing as a unit and playing for each other. The type of players that will listen to what he wants and do as he directs....as should be the case.

The more high profile appointments (Liverpool, Inter and Udinese) were not quite so successful. Is this because he was managing expectations from fans and media as well as players who were not as open to taking direction?

It would be wonderful to see Hodgson do well with England (to be fair, it would be wonderful to see ANY manager do well with England!), and I really hope the players do well for him too.

Does the England manager have to be English? Not in my book. It matters not to me what nationality the manager is, as long as he is the best available manager at the time.

I hear there's a guy could Pep something or other who might be available.

Guardiola might be the best manager in the world right now, but it probably helps having Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, and Danny Alves at your disposal.

Not sure England would be able to play quite such entertaining football with the players they can select. Joey Barton reckons he's the best midfielder in England and I think even he might have to settle for a place on the bench at the Nou Camp.
Back to top Go down
SirCumfrance

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, I agree with you GJ, having those players at your disposal must be a major factor in Peps success.

He did have success at Barca B though, many of the players of which have gone onto become huge stars such as those you list.

Call it wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 pm

SirCumfrance wrote:
Yes, I agree with you GJ, having those players at your disposal must be a major factor in Peps success.

He did have success at Barca B though, many of the players of which have gone onto become huge stars such as those you list.

Call it wishful thinking.

More chance of Pep going to Chelsea than England however I think he is a guy of honour and will take a sabbatical from the game as he alluded to in his resignation from Barca.

It was the salary not the job that made England an attractive proposition for the like of Sven and Fabio.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

GOB wrote:
He'll fail, but anyone would. Despite the media hype, England players are just not of the caliber of foreign international players.

I do hate that kind of attitude going in to a tourny. I am certainly not one for for the Sunnesque "We're gonna win it" nonsense but the way I see it any one of half a dozen sides can win this one, let's face it, even the Argyle might go half a dozen unbeaten as long as they stay in the 4th division, and that is all it's about.

Nick a couple of dodgies in the group, a couple of nil nils followed by some spawny pens and you can be in the final, FFS, Chelsea are in the Chumps Final.

As long as Woy doesn't take Robert Green, Em Heskey or Rio Ferdinand then we have a punchers chance.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Just named his first team:-

Wobinson
Wichawds
Tewwy
Wio
Bwidge
Bawwy
Gewwawd
Wwight-Phiwwips
Woony
Cwouch
Stuwwidge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:

Wobinson
Wichawds
Tewwy
Wio
Bwidge
Bawwy
Gewwawd
Wwight-Phiwwips
Woony
Cwouch
Stuwwidge.

Is that for the fwendly with Womania?
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Lord Tisdale wrote:

Wobinson
Wichawds
Tewwy
Wio
Bwidge
Bawwy
Gewwawd
Wwight-Phiwwips
Woony
Cwouch
Stuwwidge.

No, it's a wowwd cup qwawifiwer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Lord Tisdale wrote:

Wobinson
Wichawds
Tewwy
Wio
Bwidge
Bawwy
Gewwawd
Wwight-Phiwwips
Woony
Cwouch
Stuwwidge.

No, it's a wowwd cup qwawifiwer.

Not a wound wobin touwnament then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Times football editor has just twittered who he thinks should be considered
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roy Hodgson for England   Roy Hodgson for England Empty

Back to top Go down

Roy Hodgson for England
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next