Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plymouth Argyle rough?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Plymouth Argyle rough? Empty
PostSubject: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm

I understand that most of ATD are much older than me therefore will be able to answer this question.

I recently posted a thread on the Preston forum about Tsoumou and saying how well he did yesterday and I got a couple replies, here they are...

"Plymouth is not a nice place to go"
"Always a bit rough at Home Park though worst was meeting up when they played the Rovers in the seventies - about 2000 arrived in the town centre in the early hours - was bedlum - fortunately my then woman was from St Ives and once she spoke they recognised a friend. "

I have heard a few mentions about argyle being a rough club from other supporters, however in my time supporting argyle I can't remember any real violence apart from a Cardiff away match on boxing day or he JPT exeter game (home and away).

I asked another argyle fan I know who is a lot older and he says argyle had a fairly bad reputation for football hooliganism in the 80s and 90s.

To what extent is this true?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 2:24 pm

To a very large extent.

There's stuff about it in books, and a long thread on pasoti memories with lots of reminiscences and photos.

You could write an essay about it. Or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Before the central element idiots jumped on the bandwagon, there was often trouble at argyle, like must grounds, but the Burberry clad wankers used to run away at the first sign of trouble and would only start if they vastly outnumbered the away fans, just Like at the jpt game where they attacked anyone including old men women and children.

I saw a group of these wankers attack an argyle fan queuing up for a drink at home park one day, because he was about 18 and on his own whilst there were about 20 of them. The young lad took exception and decked the mouthiest one and when the rest tried to join in, me and a handful of friends jumped in and told them if they carried on we were going to batter them. They fecked off mumbling threats but we never saw them again.

I've been to dozens of away games where these tossers were and they only became mouthy when the police were nearby to protect them if trouble started.

Hooliganism always looks bad but it's usually a couple of dozen wankers who if you rounded them up and gave them a big field to fight the opposition fans, would probably back down and then claim the other mob ran Sleep
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Block4Green wrote:
I understand that most of ATD are much older than me therefore will be able to answer this question.

I recently posted a thread on the Preston forum about Tsoumou and saying how well he did yesterday and I got a couple replies, here they are...

"Plymouth is not a nice place to go"
"Always a bit rough at Home Park though worst was meeting up when they played the Rovers in the seventies - about 2000 arrived in the town centre in the early hours - was bedlum - fortunately my then woman was from St Ives and once she spoke they recognised a friend. "

I have heard a few mentions about argyle being a rough club from other supporters, however in my time supporting argyle I can't remember any real violence apart from a Cardiff away match on boxing day or he JPT exeter game (home and away).

I asked another argyle fan I know who is a lot older and he says argyle had a fairly bad reputation for football hooliganism in the 80s and 90s.

To what extent is this true?

There were two very [in]famous incidents in the 1974/5 season at away grounds,the Blackburn game mentioned above and Peterborough,which was the last game of the season.Things got very hot down here after the Everton cup tie in that season,as well,i once saw it referred to by an Everton fan on a website as "fecking murder".The market got overturned at Blackburn as i remember and there was so much graffiti around that the locals renamed it "Greenburn",lots of violence and arrests.Over the years there were fairly vicious rivalries with Bristol Rovers and Pompey and several one off battles down here,Stoke and Chelsea in particular.In the 1950's and 1960's Argyle's ground was closed after a linesman got hiit by a stone and there were near riots down here against Messrs Pullen and Walters,two refs who had to be smuggled out of the ground and into taxi's to escape the baying mob.Can't remember any aggro against Preston,though.

So,yes,Home Park could be a rather hostile place in that era but having said that,there were plenty of other grounds around the country where you dare not wear club colours or even betray your accent should you be among the home supportes-no segregation back then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:39 pm

I first started going regularly around 1986 and there were some real nutters around that didn't give an inkling about numbers etc, i guess these are the times that your "internet buddies" are on about. Since then its as Greenjock says, just a bunch of teenagers running around in groups that think if they wear the right clothes it makes them hooligans, as soon as a "firm" or even just a group of rowdy fans travels down that looks the slightest bit interested the "TCE" or whatever they care to call themselves these days vanish into thin air..why is that!!?? Even yesterday some random Bradford nutcase and a few of his mates were slapping Argyle fans all over the place, where was the famous TCE there? lol!
The Exeter game proved them for what they are....utter cowards and shi*ebags, the thing is its not just at football these lot congregate now its all over the City,always the same, always in a group, picking on others when the numbers and standard of opposition favours themselves.
Thank god the 80,s and hooliganism are behind us but there seems to be a new generation of degenerates evolving that are even more contemptible then the last generation of fools.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle rough?   Plymouth Argyle rough? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth Argyle rough?
Page 1 of 1