Greenskin
Tgwu
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 4:15 pm

Julio Pleguezuelo Becomes First Summer Signing

Argyle have completed the signing of defender Julio Pleguezuelo on a two-year contract.

Not only the first signing of the summer, 26-year-old Pleguezuelo becomes the first Spanish Pilgrim in the club’s history.

Julio joins Argyle having turned down the opportunity to stay at FC Twente, who play in the Dutch top flight, the Eredivisie. The Enschede-based side finished fifth in the table this season and went on to play in the end of the season play-offs. Twente were successful, winning the play-off final on 11 June, against Sparta Rotterdam, to clinch a spot in next season’s Europa Conference League.

Twente won the last two games of their league season – 5-0 at Waalwijk and 3-1 at home to Ajax - with Pleguezuelo scoring in both. He played nearly 100 games for Twente in four seasons, after joining in 2019.

Born in Palma, on the island of Mallorca, Julio spent time in the youth set-ups of Spanish La Liga sides Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, before moving to England aged 16 to join Arsenal.

Whilst a Gunner, he rose to become captain of Arsenal’s Under-21 side, playing alongside players such as Serge Gnabry, Emile Smith Rowe and Reiss Nelson.

Julio headed back to Spain for two loan spells, in 2016/17 and 2017/18, with Mallorca and Gimnastic respectively, both of Spain’s second tier.

In the 2018/19 season, Pleguezuelo played twice for Arsenal in the Papa Johns Trophy, and started one game for the first team, a 2-1 win for the Gunners at the Emirates. He then departed London to move to Twente in 2019.

Pleguezuelo is primarily a central defender, who is able to play as a right back and a defensive midfield player.

Argyle manager Steven Schumacher said, of his first signing of the summer: “I am delighted that Julio has become our first signing of the summer.

“He joins us with good pedigree behind him having been a regular in the Eredivisie for the last few seasons at FC Twente and also coming through the ranks on English soil at Arsenal.

“Julio is a versatile defender who is excellent with the ball at his feet and will fit in to the style of play we try to play perfectly.

“He had many other options in this country and abroad for his services, but the chance to come back to England and prove himself in the Championship with Argyle really appealed to him and we are delighted to have him on board.”

Director of Football Neil Dewsnip added: “We have been following Julio for a while and believe he fits exactly the profile of player we are looking to have at the club both on and off the pitch.

“He has had an excellent season for FC Twente, and it is a real coup that he has decided to join Argyle. I am delighted to get our first signing of the summer over the line and hope the fans are excited as we are to see Julio run out at Home Park for the first time.”

The transfer is subject to international clearance.

Julio will be sponsored for the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship season by Plymouth Fire Protection.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Tgwu on Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 4:17 pm

Looks a good one, decent pedigree and experience and about the right age. Encouraging.
Back to top Go down

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 4:24 pm

Welcome to the club Julio Iglesias which is now his name as his name is too long winded to type everytime. i look forward to seeing what you will do here as a spanish pilgrim.  Never seen him play but going by the social media comments of those who havent seen him play either hes up there with beckenbauer lol.

i also look forward to hearing the generic boring and dam right lazy song the block 3-4 and 17 guys come up for you 10 times a game. I also look forward to hearing janners try and say his name too lol

Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 pm

The appears to be an outstanding signing, bit of a bugger for Freathy et al
Back to top Go down
Mook

Mook

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 7:52 pm

How the feck did we manage that? Looks absolutely quality
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 7:53 pm

Have to say, on the face of it looks a very good signing.  One down nine to go!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 8:12 pm

Welcome to Argyle Plegy!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 8:40 pm

Oooft! Looks good.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 6:22 am

The kid seems to have a good footballing pedigree! A better back story and a better quality of player…this is why iam wondering …Why Argyle at this stage of his career if his as good as his CV suggests but it’s a good sign hopefully the more of the better quality of players come in from now on but would like to see a couple of well experienced championship signings as well…hopefully the days of signing the likes of Dave from Whitehawk FC …are well & truely over !!
Welcome to Home Park
Back to top Go down

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 2:35 pm

RegGreen wrote:
The kid seems to have a good footballing pedigree! A better back story and a better quality of player…this is why iam wondering …Why Argyle at this stage of his career if his as good as his CV suggests but it’s a good sign hopefully the more of the better quality of players come in from now on but would like to see a couple of well experienced championship signings as well…hopefully the days of signing the likes of Dave from Whitehawk FC …are well & truely over !!
Welcome to Home Park

Tafari Moore and matt macey played for arsenal u21's and where highly touted by all and in moore's case played in the dutch league when they signed and look what happend there. I still in the camp of never judging a player till ive seen him play. Judging by social media comments i refuse to believe dutch football is watched that much by anyone to warrant a strong an opinion especially on a player they probably never heard of till yesterday.

I look forward to seeing him play i truly do like i will all other signings that are pending i have no reason to doubt the clubs decisions in signing him at all but im not declaring him allsorts till then like some fans are, not that im saying you are doing that reg incase you believe i am referring to you.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 4:38 pm

Angry wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Welcome to Home Park

Tafari Moore and matt macey played for arsenal u21's and where highly touted by all and in moore's case played in the dutch league when they signed and look what happend there. I still in the camp of never judging a player till ive seen him play. Judging by social media comments i refuse to believe dutch football is watched that much by anyone to warrant a strong an opinion especially on a player they probably never heard of till yesterday.

I look forward to seeing him play i truly do like i will all other signings that are pending i have no reason to doubt the clubs decisions in signing him at all but im not declaring him allsorts till then like some fans are, not that im saying you are doing that reg incase you believe i am referring to you.

Until any of us see him properly, and I don’t mean YouTube highlights, then all we have to go on is what he’s done before.

There’s no doubt he looks decent, but it doesn’t look good on the Dutch league when Argyle can persuade someone to obviously increase their salary and turn down European football, to come to Home Park.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Incoming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incoming   Incoming Empty

Back to top Go down

Incoming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: