Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!

Go down 
+4
Savageandstrand
PlymptonPilgrim
Grovehill
Earwegoagain
8 posters
AuthorMessage

not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! Empty
PostSubject: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 10:44 am

And if he get good enough to stay at brentford and attracts offers we wont get a penny cause we deemed him not good enough to warrant a pro contract.

the rag

the rag wrote:
Midfielder Angel Waruih has joined Premier Leaguer club Brentford's B team after not being offered a professional contract by Plymouth Argyle at the end of last season.

The 18-year-old has signed a one-year contract, with a club option for a further 12 months, after playing on trial in a couple of games, including a behind-closed-doors 1-0 defeat by AFC Wimbledon at Brentford's training ground on Tuesday.

Brentford B head coach Neil MacFarlane told the club's official website: "Angel has a good character and he will add to the group. We’re looking to develop him in midfield over the course of the season.

"He has good technical ability, he is very mobile, and we look forward to working with him. He’s coming to us having been at Plymouth where he’s had a little bit of first team football, and now he comes to us looking to push on in his development.

"We’ll focus on Angel playing as a deep central midfielder, but we also know that he has the capability to push further forward and play as a number eight too."

Brentford B have two friendlies at home to Millwall under-21s on Friday and Bournemouth under-21s next Wednesday before starting out on their Premier League Cup campaign away to Blackburn Rovers on September 13.

Waruih first joined Argyle's academy at the age of nine and stayed there until the end of his two-year scholarship last season.

The midfielder was a key member of the Pilgrims' under-18s squad which won the EFL Youth Alliance Merit League One title. That came after they finished as runners-up to AFC Bournemouth in the South West Division on goal difference.

Waruih made one first team appearance for Argyle, when he started the 2-0 Papa John's Trophy defeat away to Newport County last August for played fort 63 minutes.

He was also an unused substitute for their final group game in the competition, the 1-1 draw with Arsenal under-21s at Home Park.

Waruih is a former St Boniface's College student who represented Plymouth Schools at the under-14 and and under-15 age groups.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 1:11 pm

I expect that Brentford didn't use data anylitics, or maybe we are taking too much of our time developing infrastructure instead of a squad? Good luck to the bhey hope he has a long and fruitful career.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Argyle coaches have watched him train and play for two years, Brentford watched him in two friendlies..

I expect Brentford can afford a gamble on a youngster more than Argyle can.

I've been around long enough to know that 9 out of 10 apprentices are out of pro football by the time they're 21. And most teenager boy wonders tend to fizzle out even quicker, google MarK Loram TUFC and Darren Bastow (I think) from Argyle. Argyle had a lad years ago who was supposed to be taking Mariner's place in the team-ended up at Truro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 7:30 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Argyle coaches have watched him train and play for two years, Brentford watched him in two friendlies..

I've been around long enough to know that 9 out of 10 apprentices are out of pro football by the time they're 21. And most teenager boy wonders tend to fizzle out even quicker, google MarK Loram TUFC and Darren Bastow (I think) from Argyle. Argyle had a lad years ago who was supposed to be taking Mariner's place in the team-ended up at Truro.    

we haven't with the noted exceptions over the years developed any young players from our academy that we have promoted to the professional ranks over the years that we haven't binned after a year. This model needs to be looked at otherwise how many more good youngsters are we going to bin that go on to bigger things cause we don't have the patience to develop players for longer than a season beyond noted exceptions of course.

Angel was very good by all accounts and should have a deal to be honest, im happy he has earned a contract at Brentford but as we let him go we wont be getting any percentage of any transfer deals in future should be sold by brentford or another club btw so i hope we dont end up regretting this like with Ryan Leonard.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 8:17 am

Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

we haven't with the noted exceptions over the years developed any young players from our academy that we have promoted to the professional ranks over the years that we haven't binned after a year. This model needs to be looked at otherwise how many more good youngsters are we going to bin that go on to bigger things cause we don't have the patience to develop players for longer than a season beyond noted exceptions of course.

Angel was very good by all accounts and should have a deal to be honest, im happy he has earned a contract at Brentford but as we let him go we wont be getting any percentage of any transfer deals in future should be sold by brentford or another club btw so i hope we dont end up regretting this like with Ryan Leonard.

Football looks to be sidelined apart from a middling league 1 budget for the next few years whilst we develop infrastructure so that in the future players like Angel can train in Plymstock before we sell them on again. Not sure the board have an actual footballing plan at the moment?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 am

First of all good luck to the young lad, I hope it works out for him.

To not offer him a pro contract was a decision based on a long time of working with him and coaching him - a footballing decision. Sometimes clubs get those right, sometimes they get them wrong - that's football.

What it does do though, is to give the serial moaner a stick (however small) to beat the club with and to, once again, whinge about infrastructure, budgets, the Chairman etc etc ad nauseum.

The academy has done pretty well so far, just look at the first team squad. On balance I'd be willing to trust their judgement.

Back to top Go down
Savageandstrand

Savageandstrand

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am

Indeed good luck to the player
Lets see if he makes the grade first before castigating Argyle
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 2:14 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

To not offer him a pro contract was a decision based on a long time of working with him and coaching him - a footballing decision. Sometimes clubs get those right, sometimes they get them wrong - that's football.

What it does do though, is to give the serial moaner a stick (however small) to beat the club with and to, once again, whinge about infrastructure, budgets, the Chairman etc etc ad nauseum.

The academy has done pretty well so far, just look at the first team squad
. On balance I'd be willing to trust their judgement.

Cooper Randell and Jephcott? Only Cooper can be classed as a first team regular.

Argyle have a pretty poor record over the last few years (well since Tony Waiters was Manager really) of producing long term professional players-I'm talking 200+ career games, not just a good season and HP, move on and before you know it they're a reserve in the Belgian second division.
But it's not just Argyle, 90% of apprentices at all clubs are out of full time football with a few years.

In fact, unless you have a really good set up like ECFC, I doubt if most Clubs youth set ups actually cover the cost of running them. I think the time and money would be better spent looking at the lads rejected by big clubs or late developers e.g. Ian Wright
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 3:18 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

The academy has done pretty well so far, just look at the first team squad. On balance I'd be willing to trust their judgement.

I know that was aimed at me but to call me a serial moaner is just not true. I always support the team one hundred per cent but I think Hallett has actually opened himself up to some very justifiable criticism with his actions and words in the last twelve months or so and especially in the last couple of months. With you bringing it up I will once again use my right of reply which will keep the topic in the public view yet again which is as much your fault for refusing to entertain a different POV. I am NOT against spending on infrastructure I am against spending each available penny on it at the expense of the first team and after all the words from Schuey and Sigh about improvements to the squad and buy your tickets now so we can sign better players then when the money is in say that none of it will go on the squad, I feel like he has mugged us off and if you speak to the fans in the pubs I am not alone in this respect.
I have never "supported" any chairman I find it all a bit creepy, as for Sigh I am broadly supportive of his aims yet I don't think he above being criticized nor should he be he is just a custodian of the club, he is never going to put any of his money into the club that can't be taken back when he sells it, which is fair enough although taking money for infrastructure from ST sales I think is taking the piss and could bite him on the arse if we end up in league 2 instead of the CCC, which I don't think he will ever get us to but time will tell on that one.
If you don't wish to keep hearing my "serial moaning" then maybe stop slinging your barbs and arrows constantly in my direction you whiny sap.
Rant over please now return to the discussion.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 3:19 pm

Savageandstrand wrote:
Indeed good luck to the player
Lets see if he makes the grade first before castigating Argyle

Good point Harve.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 7:35 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

I know that was aimed at me but to call me a serial moaner is just not true. I always support the team one hundred per cent but I think Hallett has actually opened himself up to some very justifiable criticism with his actions and words in the last twelve months or so and especially in the last couple of months. With you bringing it up I will once again use my right of reply which will keep the topic in the public view yet again which is as much your fault for refusing to entertain a different POV. I am NOT against spending on infrastructure I am against spending each available penny on it at the expense of the first team and after all the words from Schuey and Sigh about improvements to the squad and buy your tickets now so we can sign better players then when the money is in say that none of it will go on the squad, I feel like he has mugged us off and if you speak to the fans in the pubs I am not alone in this respect.
I have never "supported" any chairman I find it all a bit creepy, as for Sigh I am broadly supportive of his aims yet  I don't think he above being criticized nor should he be he is just a custodian of the club, he is never going to put any of his money into the club that can't be taken back when he sells it, which is fair enough although taking money for infrastructure from ST sales I think is taking the piss and could bite him on the arse if we end up in league 2 instead of the CCC, which I don't think he will ever get us to but time will tell on that one.
If you don't wish to keep hearing my "serial moaning" then maybe stop slinging your barbs and arrows constantly in my direction you whiny sap.
Rant over please now return to the discussion.

Ears, just because you keep continually saying Argyle are spending “every available penny” on infrastructure, doesn’t make it true. How do you explain the playing budget bring increased from last season, if that’s the case? ST sales make up the vast majority of our annual budget. In your world that money should only be spent on First team wages?? Is that really what you’re saying?

It’s ironic, that fans of the biggest club in the world want the Glazers out of their club. Their biggest gripe? A failure to invest in the infrastructure! king Unless you have Brent as an owner, then every club has to find a balance. It’s a really weak point you continually try to push, Ears.

As for fans in the pub, I speak to fans in the pub at every game. I’m not hearing anti-Hallett rhetoric from any of them, and most of these people I speak to aren’t backwards in coming forwards when criticism is due.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 9:14 am

I don't know what percentage of income is being spent on infrastructure v the football.

But it is a FACT that PAFC have an average attendance that has consistently been in the top 5 or 6 of the lower two divisions (even when playing in the 4th tier) and better than some Clubs in the Championship.

It is also said that Hallett is financially astute.

So it is a bit of a puzzle as to why with a playing budget that is mid table, the Club seems unable to break even year on year.

Something doesn't add up.

The fans don't run the club or do the budgets, so anyone implying that the fans should "pay up" either through ticket prices or in any other way, is taking the pish. What other business would blame it's customers for it's poor financial performance?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 10:53 am

Grovehill wrote:
I don't know what percentage of income is being spent on infrastructure v the football.

But it is a FACT that PAFC have an average attendance that has consistently been in the top 5 or 6 of the lower two divisions (even when playing in the 4th tier) and better than some Clubs in the Championship.

It is also said that Hallett is financially astute.

So it is a bit of a puzzle as to why with a playing budget that is mid table, the Club seems unable to break even year on year.

Something doesn't add up

The fans don't run the club or do the budgets, so anyone implying that the fans should "pay up" either through ticket prices or in any other way, is taking the pish. What other business would blame it's customers for it's poor financial performance?      

I’d say it’s obvious Grovey. Hallett is clearly embezzling funds away from the club into his own coffers. Indeed, if people keep saying it, it will become FACT. sunny
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 11:20 am

What football clubs make money?

Nobody, apart from Bent, looks to make money as Chairman, surely?
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Only in their b team.
Good luck to him if he makes it.

If he was any good we would have kept him
Can't have cost too much.

Then again as plympton says
It's just another stick for the same old records to beat the club with online every week instead of going to games themselves.

If it's not the deal to let this kid go.
It's seats, it's Wilson , it's hallett.

No wonder this place is dying a death.
Can't get a word in edgeways around all that bollocks.
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 11:30 am

Of course the other way of looking at it is that we don't run an Under 23's team and either don't think he's physically ready for men's football or there is no pathway to the 1st team. 

Brentford are giving him a year in their development squad, so it doesn't mean he's going to be running out at Anfield or Old Trafford any time soon or they think he's good enough for the Prem as the post disingenuously claims. 

We will in the fullness of time run an Under 23's team I am sure but of course money spent on anything other the first team is sacrilege

Last edited by Clodagh Rubbish on Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 12:51 pm

Jethro wrote:
Only in their b team.
Good luck to him if he makes it.

If he was any good we would have kept him
Can't have cost too much.

Then again as plympton says
It's just another stick for the same old records to beat the club with online every week instead of going to games themselves.

If it's not the deal to let this kid go.
It's seats, it's Wilson , it's hallett.

No wonder this place is dying a death.
Can't get a word in edgeways around all that bollocks.

If you go to all games for the next twenty years then you would be getting close to me in the matter of attendance, in fact even then you wouldn't catch me up so put your dummy back in son.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!   not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

not good enough for us but is for the prem!!!!
Page 1 of 1