PlymptonPilgrim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Half Way   Half Way EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 11:41 pm

So, 23 games in and here we are on 40 points, which isn't bad and certainly more than I expected at the start of the season. Obviously, we don't know what the club's target was at the start, but I would have thought that 40 wouldn't have been too far away.

There have been games this year when we have looked a very good team, both Sheffield Weds games, Ipswich, Oxford and Portsmouth away, Accrington, to name a few. Other games we've got the job done, and no team goes on a 16 match unbeaten run without being half decent.

In the play off places at Christmas, with a 5 match winless run behind us, bodes well for the future and it will be interesting to see what happens in the January transfer window, both with incomings and outgoings.

Whatever happens, as long as we end up with a stronger squad than we have now, then we have every chance of competing for a top 6 spot.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 11:48 pm

Argyle have exceeded my expectations this season foreshore after the shocking end to the season last year I thought we would struggle and was thinking mid table would be a result. We need to hang onto all the quality that we have and add a bit more to the defence especially on the left hand side.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 11:48 pm

Steady progress, I hope Schuey can settle here and build on the academy and player loyalty.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 1:20 am

Unlike last season, I think everyone would agree that Argyle should do their upmost to sign the loan players.

We should be nailed on for a top six finish if one or two good signings are made in January or if the likes of Randell and Law force their way into first team contention.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 9:02 pm

40 points and fifth at this point is way more than most thought we would have.   We will fall away as we go through January but should have enough points in the bag already to secure a fairly comfortable midtable finish.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 9:41 pm

I'd take 8th -12th place
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 10:04 pm

I don't see why we shouldn't be aiming for a playoff spot? Argyle fans need to show a bit more ambition FFS!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 12:18 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
I don't see why we shouldn't be aiming for a playoff spot? Argyle fans need to show a bit more ambition FFS!

It's not the Argo fans lacking ambition.  It's the very limited resources of the chairman and board and therefore the limitations of the team.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 1:07 am

Freathy wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It's not the Argo fans lacking ambition.  It's the very limited resources of the chairman and board and therefore the limitations of the team.

I am aware of all that but after batting way above our average at the start of the season we need to fight tooth and nail to stay there, despite our obvious limitations we were more than a match for Charlton and I think a bit of self belief would go a long way.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 4:01 am

If we won or went up I'd be delighted, but 8th-12th is what I'd settle for a decent season.

Can't quite believe some are claiming lack of ambition,

Brent left a few years ago, there's nothing to hold us back now.

Just have to finish cleaning up his mess.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 5:04 am

Jethro wrote:
If we won or went up I'd be delighted, but 8th-12th is what I'd settle for a decent season.

Can't quite believe some are claiming lack of ambition,

Brent left a few years ago, there's nothing to hold us back now.

Just have to finish cleaning up his mess.  

Lack of ambition? That's what I'm talking about. Aim for an 8th to 12th place and we will probably hit that but who says we won't hit ,6th? No prizes for coming 8th. Same old Argyle applies as much to fans as it does the board.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 7:26 am

Most of the lack of ambition is in the negative psyche of Argo supporting Plymothians, I fully expected the club to get promoted automatically this season and still no reason why not, if the will is there, it can happen, we finally have a board stating that the club ambition is to return to the Championship. Rejoice!
COYG cheers
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 7:28 am

akagreengull wrote:
Most of the lack of ambition is in the negative psyche of Argo supporting Plymothians, I fully expected the club to get promoted automatically this season and still no reason why not, if the will is there, it can happen, we finally have a board stating that the club ambition is to return to the Championship. Rejoice!
COYG cheers

Surely though that attitude has been brought about by years and years of underachievement?
Back to top Go down

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 7:32 am

I think we have the power behind the throne in charge now and no surprises from me if we achieve a play off spot
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 7:33 am

Graiser wrote:
I think we have the power behind the throne in charge now and no surprises from me if we achieve a play off spot
Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 am

my view is we arw doing better than expected, im still going to be pleased if we finish in the top ten this season in lieu of promotion/playoffs with we miss out on them.
Aslong as we add well in January and dont move any key players on nor the usual one in one out bullshit we should still be on course to be in the fight for promotion/playoffs till the end of the season.

Schumacher i trust will be able to get the team playing and winning through out the 2nd half of the season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Half Way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Half Way   Half Way Empty

Back to top Go down

Half Way
Page 1 of 1