Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?

Go down 
+3
Greenskin
Les Miserable
mouldyoldgoat
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? Empty
PostSubject: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 8:36 pm

WW2 bomb blown up in Exeter....

'Exeter residents may not be able to return to their homes tonight after a Second World War bomb was detonated on Friday, as police say it is 'impossible to predict' whether safety assessment work would be concluded.

Residents from properties surrounding the site in Exeter where a 2204 pound 'Hermann' bomb was detonated have been told they may not be able to return home by Sunday evening.

The device, believed to be a used by the Nazis, was discovered on a building site on private land to the west of the University of Exeter campus on Friday morning.

Residents at about 2,600 properties around the area of Glenthorne Road, including 1,400 university students, were evacuated on Friday and Saturday.

The controlled detonation of the device took place at 6.10pm on Saturday, with the explosion heard for miles - causing damage to surrounding properties and was so huge it could be heard six miles away.

On Sunday afternoon, Devon and Cornwall Police advised residents to plan for the eventuality that they would not be able to return home that evening.

A force spokesman said it was 'impossible to predict' whether safety assessment work would be concluded on Sunday.

Regrettably, a number of properties predominantly within the 110-yard cordon have suffered structural damage including broken windows and cracked walls,' he said.

'In addition, debris, including large metal objects, were thrown in the blast, some of which landed on nearby roofs, which require the use of a crane to remove.

The 110-yard cordon was extended to 440 yards on Saturday at the request of the Royal Navy bomb disposal team - who have now taken over the operation.

Police last night allowed householders back to their homes if they were outside the 110-yard cordon.

Those who were evacuated between 110-yard and 440-yard were allowed back at 6pm.

A crane has been used to remove debris from nearby roofs - it was 'large pieces of metal' used by the Army to mitigate the bomb when it was detonated.

The metal sections could clearly be seen blasting up into the air when the bomb was blown up.

Fencing has been erected around a number of roads around the main site.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm

Now now Les! Very Happy

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 8:58 pm

my friend's house got impacted as a result of that. Still could be worse in Plymouth we make do and build mankover stand over bombs.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Very Happy Really Les!

Bit of a wanky article-"believed to have been dropped by the nazis" lol! Who the feck else would have dropped a 2000lb bomb called Hermann on Exeter, a bunch of renegade Torquay fans? Part of the Baedeker raids i believe,so called because the Jerries looked up a book of that name which detailed English cities thought to be tourist friendly. More of a cosmetic morale sapping exercise than a strategic one,unlike the blitz on important cities like Plymouth.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm

Was a big old bang!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 am

It certainly was!

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 5:45 am

Greenskin wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Very Happy Really Les!

Bit of a wanky article-"believed to have been dropped by the nazis" lol! Who the feck else would have dropped a 2000lb bomb called Hermann on Exeter, a bunch of renegade Torquay fans?

laugh laugh

btb
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Thanks for that Les. As far as I can ascertain I'm the only Greek currently posting on ATD. While I maybe "ever so slightly" a thorn in the side of the sore loser "remainers" faction, I didn't think I had upset anyone else - sadly because I haven't been given the opportunity Wink

Therefore I hope your benevolence would have least stretch to giving me a quick and painless death.

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 10:23 am

Hugh Midde wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Thanks for that Les. As far as I can ascertain I'm the only Greek currently posting on ATD. While I maybe "ever so slightly" a thorn in the side of the sore loser "remainers" faction, I didn't think I had upset anyone else - sadly because I haven't been given the opportunity Wink

Therefore I hope your benevolence would have least stretch to giving me a quick and painless death.

Ah bollox, he survived Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 am

Greenskin wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Very Happy Really Les!

Bit of a wanky article-"believed to have been dropped by the nazis" lol! Who the feck else would have dropped a 2000lb bomb called Hermann on Exeter, a bunch of renegade Torquay fans? Part of the Baedeker raids i believe,so called because the Jerries looked up a book of that name which detailed English cities thought to be tourist friendly. More of a cosmetic morale sapping exercise than a strategic one,unlike the blitz on important cities like Plymouth.

All because of us blowing picture postcard favourite Dresden to smithereens. I think they bombed Norwich for the same reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 12:22 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

your the only greek as two where complete cnuts and the other owes money to a hospice!!! as you are neither you may stay

Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Part of the Baedeker raids i believe,so called because the Jerries looked up a book of that name which detailed English cities thought to be tourist friendly. More of a cosmetic morale sapping exercise than a strategic one.

Is correct. The baedeker raids were in retaliaton for the RAF raid on Lubeck. The Dresden raid came shortly before the end of the war and was thought to be unneccessary. However, I believe the Russians believed the the railway marshalling yards were being used to supply the German frontline.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

your the only greek as two where complete cnuts and the other owes money to a hospice!!! as you are neither you may stay

Incredibly civil of you sir. Of course you may think different when Inter Exeter get their act together and tan your sorry green arses laugh
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Hopefully.

Part of the Baedeker raids i believe,so called because the Jerries looked up a book of that name which detailed English cities thought to be tourist friendly. More of a cosmetic morale sapping exercise than a strategic one.

Is correct. The baedeker raids were in retaliaton for the RAF raid on Lubeck. The Dresden raid came shortly before the end of the war and was thought to be unneccessary. However, I believe the Russians believed the the railway marshalling yards were being used to supply the German frontline.

I stand corrected. Maybe Dresden was in retaliation for Norwich? All feckin horrendous waste of life, money and architecture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?   Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any of our Exeter friends caught up in this?
Page 1 of 1