Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!

Go down 
+7
seadog
RegGreen
mouldyoldgoat
harvetheslayer
Greenskin
VillageGreen
Dog Bone Malone
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! Empty
PostSubject: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyTue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 pm

Digitized and colourized film of New York, 1911. Aye - 1911!

Mesmerising stuff considering how long ago this was and everyone in the film is dead! Even more interesting if you've been there. You can make out landmarks that are still as prevalent to this day - and to think I've stood, walked by, been in a lot of these buildings on my visits to NYC that were frequented by these finely dressed ladies and gentlemen of that era. Fascinating stuff.

They stare into the camera, having no idea people from a century later are staring back!

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 5:26 pm

POI wrote:
Digitized and colourized film of New York, 1911. Aye - 1911!

Mesmerising stuff considering how long ago this was and everyone in the film is dead! Even more interesting if you've been there. You can make out landmarks that are still as prevalent to this day - and to think I've stood, walked by, been in a lot of these buildings on my visits to NYC that were frequented by these finely dressed ladies and gentlemen of that era. Fascinating stuff.

They stare into the camera, having no idea people from a century later are staring back!

Enjoyed that, do like looking at old footage.

Everyone regardless of age all wearing the same attire more or less.

The family in the car must have been a tad well to do.

And the streets and pavements look clean.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Hat sellers must have been minted back in the day!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Incredible stuff.Wonder how much the basic layout of NY has changed since those days,would be interesting to see a then and now comparison-there were some pretty tall buildings starting to appear even back then. Love to see similar footage of pre-war Plymouth,always fascinates me to try and imagine what things were like when walking around town.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 5:47 am

I will add this one to the thread I saw on Monday.

Its in Colour on the Thames in 1935.....very good.... Am guessing some of the children could still be alive

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 8:43 am

harvetheslayer wrote:
I will add this one to the thread I saw on Monday.

Its in Colour on the Thames in 1935.....very good.... Am guessing some of the children could still be alive

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Love this sort of stuff. Could watch it all day.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am

Even earlier - Paris 1890  Shocked   Wonderful stuff. I think it's safe to say all of these people are deffo brown bread Laughing

No cars yet. I think the first car was by Carl Benz in that particular year, or maybe a year after! Incredible footage. Love the kamikaze delivery boy dodging the horses on what looks like the Champs-Élysées (2:28) - and the fire brigade at (3:30)  Laughing Also the worlds first travellator (5:10)!

Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 9:41 am

Great videos POI.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am

Same here POI..I love this kind shit
Nice video
Plus the Thames one wernt bad either Harve
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am

Fantastic digitized, HD restored and colourised footage of Cornwall back in 1916!

Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Fabuloso, all those sailing ships.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 11:18 am

Footage of Muff in and around 1910. Fascinating stuff.

Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Muffers having a dip by the old pier

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 2:59 pm

Where was the old pier situated?

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 3:02 pm

West Hoe by the little harbour.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Ok, thanks Ears.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 3:07 pm

Just googled it and it was destroyed in the blitz but wasn't removed until 1952. My earliest memory of West Hoe was going down with the whole family including Gran and Grandad (who died when I was six) to watch Gypsy Moth with Francis Chichester sail in there after his single handed circumnavigation. It was rammed everybody waving and cheering. Nowadays you'd have to fookin swin round to get Spotlight out.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am

Some of those clips remind me of the Peter Jackson stuff like the WW1 film he did using original footage and digitizing and colourizing it. Great stuff. Would like to see more old footage brought to life with technology like that.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 11:04 am

Looking again at the photo and I reckon the pier went right over the rock where the high boards were. I wonder if they built the boards with steel salvaged from the pier?
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 am

A slightly better perspective as to its original position.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Typical Plymouth having a tiny pier. Obviously everything was done on the cheap back then also.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Thats a great photo looking inwards POI
Wonder if any remains of the steelwork location can be seen against the wall

I had a look at the old Mutley Halt train station few years ago and you can still see remains of its exact location if you look carefully
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Its to the left of where I thought it was the big diving boards were next to the right hand (Men's pool) in the bottom photo. Had my first shag about 100m from there.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Its to the left of where I thought it was the big diving boards were next to the right hand (Men's pool) in the bottom photo. Had my first shag about 100m from there.

sicko
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 1:32 pm

POI wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

sicko

You can still see the stain on the seat in a certain light. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! Empty

Back to top Go down

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next