Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Beirut Blasts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angry

Angry

Posts : 13618
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 36

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 am

2,750 Tonnes Of Ammonium Nitrate Exploded that was stored in a warehouse by beirut port for six years next to where a fire broke out before that hadn't been looked after to the point of neglect and the result is that almost nuclear blast like reaction.



70 killed thousands injured.. truly shocking i trust the owner of that warhouse is brought to justice for even storing that amount of nitrate.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Posts : 6310
Join date : 2014-03-30

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 8:03 am

I blame Israel raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

Posts : 13618
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 36

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 9:05 am

Les Miserable wrote:
I blame Israel raised eyebrow

Usually it is or another group however i don't think they can be blamed for this which is probably a first just a poor unexpecting welder who caused a fire. Wont stop people blaming Israel and Hezbollah though.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2017-09-09

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm

I have been around tonnes of Ammonia Nitrate when I worked in a quarry years ago. It's used as an explosive and one of my jobs was mixing it with diesel then packing it in shot containers. One advantage of using anfo as its known is the fact it's very stable you can chuck the stuff around quite safely. I was told by the blaster that it will only go off with a high impact detonator he said maybe a twelve bore fired right in the top of one would probably do it but I'm pretty sure that it will just burn if set on fire and not explode. I wasn't aware that ammonia nitrate would explode without being mixed with diesel and without a detonator. Maybe it will explode if it's heated enough?
Feel very sorry for the people of Beirut.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Posts : 7069
Join date : 2017-09-09

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Wiki,
The explosion results from a fire that spreads into the ammonium nitrate itself (Texas City, TX; Brest; West, TX; Tianjin; Beirut), or from a mixture of ammonium nitrate with a combustible material during the fire (Repauno, Cherokee, Nadadores). The fire must be confined at least to a degree for successful transition from a fire to an explosion (a phenomenon known as "deflagration-to-detonation transition"). Pure, compact AN is stable and very difficult to ignite, and numerous cases exist when even impure AN did not explode in a fire.

Been a lot of AN disasters over the years. Makes you wonder why they stored it in such a built up area?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Posts : 9075
Join date : 2011-10-23

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Wiki,
The explosion results from a fire that spreads into the ammonium nitrate itself (Texas City, TX; Brest; West, TX; Tianjin; Beirut), or from a mixture of ammonium nitrate with a combustible material during the fire (Repauno, Cherokee, Nadadores). The fire must be confined at least to a degree for successful transition from a fire to an explosion (a phenomenon known as "deflagration-to-detonation transition"). Pure, compact AN is stable and very difficult to ignite, and numerous cases exist when even impure AN did not explode in a fire.

Been a lot of AN disasters over the years. Makes you wonder why they stored it in such a built up area?

Apparently it had been seized from a cargo ship in the docks 6 years ago and despite lots of paperwork going back and forth there had not yet been any authority given to move it.

Some of the video clips are unreal. People had windows blown out in their homes nearly 8 miles away, and the blast was felt 150 miles away....in Cyprus!
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

Posts : 13618
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 36

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 6:47 pm

i guess this is as close as we will get to seeing what the gunpowder plot would have looked like had that succeeded.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Posts : 10771
Join date : 2014-03-02
Age : 81

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Angry wrote:
i guess this is as close as we will get to seeing what the gunpowder plot would have looked like had that succeeded.

.
A few kegs of gunpowder couldn't do that much devastation.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

Posts : 13618
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 36

Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 pm

zyph wrote:
Angry wrote:
i guess this is as close as we will get to seeing what the gunpowder plot would have looked like had that succeeded.

.
A few kegs of gunpowder couldn't do that much devastation.

36 kegs full of it would have and dont forget the landscape of london back then everything was closer together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Beirut Blasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beirut Blasts   Beirut Blasts Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Beirut Blasts
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: