HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter Empty
PostSubject: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 am

"Your gay".

"I'm not gay"

"kindles r gay"

Does anyone actually read the crap Argyle players spout with anything approaching interest?

I know they're a set of mainly working class males and 'gay' banter is hilarious, but, well, it's not, is it? Abusing gypsies isn't acceptable, nor is using homophobic language in the year 2012. Didn't Purse speak out against homophobia in that programme the other day?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
"Your gay".

"I'm not gay"

"kindles r gay"

Does anyone actually read the crap Argyle players spout with anything approaching interest?

I know they're a set of mainly working class males and 'gay' banter is hilarious, but, well, it's not, is it? Abusing gypsies isn't acceptable, nor is using homophobic language in the year 2012. Didn't Purse speak out against homophobia in that programme the other day?

A good mate I work with is gay. Funny thing is, he is probably one of the most homophobic people I know! Only in the sense that he'll look at someone, roll his eyes, and mutter something like "oh my god, what a queen..."

It is quite amusing when gay banter comes from 'one of their own'.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 am

When I used the Big Gay Bear thing on the farm, it was meant in the modern parlance where 'gay' means anything you don't rate/ like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am

Czarcasm wrote:

I think that's different, though, Czar. It's a bit like women calling each other 'girls' or (slightly dodgier ground here, I appreciate) comedian Chris Rock using the n word. Racism and homophobia aren't just about prejudice - we've all got prejudices, whether or not we admit them - but also about power and/or the attempt to exert power. If a gay man has a go at another gay man, perhaps for being a bit of a queen, that is indeed banter, or a difference of opinion, or whatever. But when - as happened recently in Plymouth - a couple launch a physical attack on a gay man, because he's gay, then that's obviously wrong.

Tring wrote:
the modern parlance where 'gay' means anything you don't rate/ like.

Question is, why is 'gay' used this way? How did a word used to describe somebody's sexuality become an insult? I wonder ... And is it really any surprise that none of the gay footballers currently playing in Britain have to live a lie?

Here endeth today's lesson Cool
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 am

I'm somewhere in the middle on this I think. I don't think 'gay' banter is acceptable when you are a public figure using a public medium and the emphasis is on homosexuals being somehow lesser, but have much less of a problem with it in Tring's sense...for e.g it is 'gay' that I stubbed my toe on my way to work earlier. Unacceptable isn't really the word for how I'd describe it, either. It is more cringeworthy than anything; the type of banter I was having with my pre-pubescent schoolmates when I was 8.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 am

Peggy wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

I think that's different, though, Czar. It's a bit like women calling each other 'girls' or (slightly dodgier ground here, I appreciate) comedian Chris Rock using the n word. Racism and homophobia aren't just about prejudice - we've all got prejudices, whether or not we admit them - but also about power and/or the attempt to exert power. If a gay man has a go at another gay man, perhaps for being a bit of a queen, that is indeed banter, or a difference of opinion, or whatever. But when - as happened recently in Plymouth - a couple launch a physical attack on a gay man, because he's gay, then that's obviously wrong.

Tring wrote:
the modern parlance where 'gay' means anything you don't rate/ like.

Question is, why is 'gay' used this way? How did a word used to describe somebody's sexuality become an insult? I wonder ... And is it really any surprise that none of the gay footballers currently playing in Britain have to live a lie?

Here endeth today's lesson Cool

Gay ! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:44 am

To use "straight" as an insult or expression of dislike wouldn't really happen, would it? At which point it is completely clear that "gay" only works if the word has some negative connotations. Anyone who uses "gay" in that way is either ignorant of what they are saying or homophobic.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

PC nonsense. In Britain, Brits are frowned upon for saying 'p*ki'. In Australia and the USA it is not considered insulting, just as the Australins call the West Indies cricket team, the Windies and we have Frogs,Yanks, Taffies, Micks etc etc
It is getting tiresome and we seem to spend far too much time as a nation trying to bend over backwards not to offend immigrants and minority groups. Where will it all end ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 pm

"Offending" people is less important than treating people with respect and not marginalising and abusing minorities.

"p*ki" as an abbreviation of "Pakistani" isn't wrong in itself but, in this country, it has taken on so many negative connotations that it is next to impossible to use it without it seeming to be racist.

Lenny Bruce had an interesting take on it in this performance. (Sorry, couldn't find his own performance of this so it has to be from the film). Interesting idea but I don't think it would ever have worked.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Here's a song that explains it pretty well (it is very funny too):

Only a ginger should call another ginger "ginger"
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Here's a song that explains it pretty well (it is very funny too):

Only a ginger should call another ginger "ginger"

My youngest daughters favourite comedian. About the only thing that would get her looking at ATD.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

Peggy wrote:
Question is, why is 'gay' used this way? How did a word used to describe somebody's sexuality become an insult? I wonder ...

Do you really need that one explaining?

However, I often wondered how a word used to describe someones happy demeanour got used to describe someones sexuality?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 6:57 am

Which is closer to the point Rickler.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 am

knecht wrote:
"Offending" people is less important than treating people with respect and not marginalising and abusing minorities.

"p*ki" as an abbreviation of "Pakistani" isn't wrong in itself but, in this country, it has taken on so many negative connotations that it is next to impossible to use it without it seeming to be racist.

Lenny Bruce had an interesting take on it in this performance. (Sorry, couldn't find his own performance of this so it has to be from the film). Interesting idea but I don't think it would ever have worked.

I know exactly what you are saying mate but it always seems so one sided in favour of minority groups.

In Australia the state thinking seems to be more along the lines of you choose to live here, so you must accept our rules and code of conduct.

That might well be hard on some but at least everyone knows where they stand.

The UK seems to be disappearing up its own PC backside and extremist groups given more fuel.

ps Napoleon calls me ginger pubes and I'm not even ginger ! Bleddy colourist ! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 am

Forget all the talk of 'PC', which is just a handy excuse for not wanting to change our behaviour. The key word here is respect.

Many of us are on here because we didn't feel our views were being respected elsewhere. So where's the harm in treating others as we'd wish to be treated? If somebody tells me they don't like being referred to in a particular way (like the guy I once represented who, when he started a new job, was told 'We cant pronounce your name so we've decided to call you John'), I'll respect that because I've got good manners and because s/he's a human being who should be listened to.

Language isn't the biggest issue. In the last couple of weeks, we've had two violent racist attacks, the trial of a couple involved in a third violent racist attack, and one violent homophobic attack - and that's just in Plymouth. Changing the language we use isn't going to eliminate these issues - or all the others - overnight, but it would show a level of intent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:40 am

Rickler wrote:
Peggy wrote:
Question is, why is 'gay' used this way? How did a word used to describe somebody's sexuality become an insult? I wonder ...

Do you really need that one explaining?

However, I often wondered how a word used to describe someones happy demeanour got used to describe someones sexuality?

For maybe hundreds of years "gay" has been used to describe 'loose', often sexual, behaviour. (Thank you google.....)

Interestingly, a friend of someone I know is currently raising money to take the LSE to court for discrimination against men. (Tom Martin)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 am

Peggy wrote:
Forget all the talk of 'PC', which is just a handy excuse for not wanting to change our behaviour. The key word here is respect.

Many of us are on here because we didn't feel our views were being respected elsewhere. So where's the harm in treating others as we'd wish to be treated? If somebody tells me they don't like being referred to in a particular way (like the guy I once represented who, when he started a new job, was told 'We cant pronounce your name so we've decided to call you John'), I'll respect that because I've got good manners and because s/he's a human being who should be listened to.

Language isn't the biggest issue. In the last couple of weeks, we've had two violent racist attacks, the trial of a couple involved in a third violent racist attack, and one violent homophobic attack - and that's just in Plymouth. Changing the language we use isn't going to eliminate these issues - or all the others - overnight, but it would show a level of intent.

To be fair though, Plymouth has always been homophobic.

During the thirties, outside of London, Plymouth had one of the biggest, if not the biggest memberships of the British Union of Fascists. Being a Naval port has meant through the centuries there have been influxes of all races, creeds and colours into the city, and no doubt creating tension on both sides (visitors and locals) such is the way of the world.

If you think Plymouth is homophobic, try West Cornwall! Inbred, suspicious, and hate furriners!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I was just using those news reports as an example of the real issues underlying the language stuff.

True, Plymouth has more than its fair share of racists, homophobes and people whose views on women have barely made it into the twentieth century. Doesn't mean we can't change, though, does it?

After all, we don't send children up chimneys any more.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Peggy wrote:
I was just using those news reports as an example of the real issues underlying the language stuff.

True, Plymouth has more than its fair share of racists, homophobes and people whose views on women have barely made it into the twentieth century. Doesn't mean we can't change, though, does it?

After all, we don't send children up chimneys any more.

I know, bleddy disgrace, £35 to have mine swept. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Knecht - Your clip was so right.
F*** is used so often these days it doesn't mean a thing.
I can still remember when I let it slip at home on my first leave(aged 16) -"This food is great, pass the f*****g butter please" Shocked

Mother's face was a picture but I just carried on as normal, The Boss mentioned it later in the pub though. Laughing

Used everyday now - means nothing.
PC is what you make it.

Merv P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter   Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter Empty

Back to top Go down

Homophobic 'Banter' on Twitter
Page 1 of 1