Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz Empty
PostSubject: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 9:10 am

Its subscription only you might be able to read the first few articles free if you really want to!

Basically none of it was the fault of Mr Um Yeh no including the 29 day spell at Orient (played 4 lost 3 including a 3rd exit to non league opposition on the spin for him)

https://theathletic.co.uk/1634788/2020/02/27/carl-fletcher-leyton-orient-bournemouth-fa-cup/

"....he expresses regret over...the decision three years later to move to Plymouth, ahead of their financial struggles.

“I wouldn’t have gone knowing what I know now,” says Fletcher. “I was probably a bit naive.”

“We already had my eldest daughter and then we had twin daughters while I was down there, so we had three kids under two, which was difficult with no family close by,” he explains. “That was tough. And then, to add onto that, we weren’t getting paid and the club was in loads of trouble. That was a double whammy.”

Plymouth’s troubles saw them tumble from Championship to fourth tier in successive seasons, costing manager Peter Reid his job. Fletcher, the club captain, was given the job, a cheaper alternative to bringing in a more experienced man.

Fletcher kept Plymouth in the Football League, avoiding a third straight relegation by two points but there would be no Howe-style fairytale climb through the divisions to follow. He was sacked on New Year’s Day 2013, with the team sitting two points above the fourth tier’s relegation zone after one win in 13 league games.

“After we stayed up the first year, I should have just said, ‘I’ll keep playing, bring someone else in and give me a player-coach kind of role,'” he says. “But again, through probably my own naivety, my own self-belief, I thought that I could do it.

“You live and learn. But looking back, I wasn’t ready. Luckily, I came to Bournemouth, and through the under-18s and the under-21s, I learned so much. Where I am now compared to where I was then — it’s a million miles away.”"
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 11:12 am

I really feel for Fletch, great player and captain for us he was used as a scapegoat in my eyes. No one in the entire world of football could have avoided the collapse after any decent players were sold for feck all. He did keep us up first season thanks for that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 11:32 am

I thought the manner of his sacking was crass but lets not forget how he leveraged himself into the job in the first place and refused to accept he was out of his depth.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
I thought the manner of his sacking was crass but lets not forget how he leveraged himself into the job in the first place and refused to accept he was out of his depth.
excatlty conspired to stick the knife in Reid’s back along with rinsdale who wanted him off the wage bill no sympathy from me for clueless he knew what he was doing
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
excatlty conspired to stick the knife in Reid’s back along with rinsdale who wanted him off the wage bill no sympathy from me for clueless he knew what he was doing

Can't argue with most of that Reg but I don't blame Fletch for taking the chance but you have to think about the quality of manager who would have been foisted on us in his stead. Whatever happened it would have ended up in relegation. I think there are many many people who should be before Fletch in the queue when we apportion blame in that era.
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Mr nice but dim.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Carl Fletcher speaks, nobody listens.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz EmptySun Mar 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Brent and Fletcher, there has never been a worse owner manager combination in the history of world football, than Clueless and Jimmy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz   Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz Empty

Back to top Go down

Carl Fletcher speakzzzzz
Page 1 of 1