Greenlander
PatDunne
Earwegoagain
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Extinction rebellion. Empty
PostSubject: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am

Causing a bit of trouble in London. I say fair play to them, whilst the governments of the world pay lip service to climate change we are heading towards disaster. As usual the press will side with the poor workers unable to get to work disregarding the fact that possibly our grandchildren will have problems getting to work through the extra couple of metres of water they will have to contend with.
Mocks pin up boy Moinbiot was on Frankie Boyle the other night and spoke so much sense. He pointed out that the only real targets we have in the world are growth, growth and more growth all measured by GDP. He made an excellent point that there must be other ways of measuring the success of the planet other than rampant capitalism which is killing the planet and nöt that slowly either. The IMF has targeted 3% growth, this doubles our current output of everything in 24 years! At the present rate it's doubtful if life will be sustainable in fifty to a hundred years time.
We export millions of tons of food and import many more millions from around the globe on filthy feckin great boats spewing out clouds of gas from burning crude fuel oil, the sky's are full of planes doing the same and who is that really benefiting? We need a complete refocus on what the planet needs which is a population that is reducing not expanding, a roof over the head of every citizen in the country, warmth and three meals a day. Whilst we see extreme wealth grow like weeds we see extreme poverty grow hand in hand. Sure we have high employment but too many people work like feck and can't pay the bills.
Governments don't only support this system they encourage it knowing that by keeping the legislation friendly to big business they will be royally rewarded with well paid jobs on the boards when they retire. Breaking the law is the only way to achieve change. Geddon power to the people (well the ones that can be bothered anyway).
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:54 am

I 'm not convinced that the global football industry is a wise use of the earths resources, ban football?
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm

^ Not much to add to either of those comments.

I think that's right too. Growth is the killer in every sense of the word.

Maybe the king of Bhutan has it right, measuring the prosperity of his country by the happiness of its citizens.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 pm

I'll add that actually Brexit has been a proper con in distracting everyone from the real issues affecting us. We should be demanding action from our parliament on climate change and fecking off Brexit to the bin.

The future of our planet is slightly more important than the UK's place in Europe.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 pm

You could argue though that a remain vote is voting to carry on down the path of global capitalism.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 1:58 pm

PatDunne wrote:
I 'm not convinced that the global football industry is a wise use of the earths resources, ban football?

I'd be all for banning champions league. Just makes a super league that not even most of the prem can compete with. Another angle would be to tax the feck out of plane flights like theirs and use it for green power or green transport.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
You could argue though that a remain vote is voting to carry on down the path of global capitalism.

Valid point, and one I'd agree with, but even if the UK had the will to introduce radical policies to try and combat climate change it's going to take worldwide collaboration. The EU is in a better position to push these ideas forward.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Believe what you will. Mass protest will change things or more likely a few absolutely huge natural disasters happening in the first world. I'm resigned to it tbh.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Extinction Rebellion should go to the USA, China or India if they want to protest. That is where changes need to be made....then we would see if they enjoy their little jolly out there....I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 pm

zyph wrote:
Extinction Rebellion should go to the USA, China or India if they want to protest. That is where changes need to be made....then we would see if they enjoy their little jolly out there....I doubt it.

Where do you even start with that statement? The third world produces most of our cement and indeed any product which we consume in the west simply because they don't have the environmental controls that we have. We simply wouldn't be able to make cement in coal fired factories in Europe, and I have seen these factories in India and Africa btw, yet we ship those same products over here so that we can all consume them with no guilt. I'm sure you recycle why should you have a guilty concience? Nearly everything anyone buys apart from food is made in China. I could go on but I'd be wasting my time.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 pm

The planet is fecked, my Grandkids will suffer, I'll be dead.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Plenty of countries are way worse (USA, Canada, South Korea, Australia - spot the theme yet) but, per head China ia only a slightly worse producer of carbon emissions than the UK.

What scientists say

As the article states, it's about finding equitable solutions. We, in the 'developed world', will certainly have to make sacrifices because we're the polluters.

Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Many of us will know (or get to know) our grandchildren, and some of us our great-grandchildren. We'll love them and want the best for them. They'll be living for years after us. In my case, it should into the next century.

So if we have to act know to give them a planet to inhabit happen then so be it.

Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 pm

I don't have kids, consumption ends with me, as green as these delightful children and grand children might be they will still deplete the planet.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 am

Why didn't the protesters wear yellow vests, scream abuse at the police and drink Stella in the streets? A sure way to avoid arrest and ensure universal approval from at least 17.4 million people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am

PatDunne wrote:
I don't have kids, consumption ends with me, as green as these delightful children and grand children might be they will still deplete the planet.

There's your solution.

Stop breeding.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
PatDunne wrote:

There's your solution.

Stop breeding.

Breeding will cease at some point.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptySun May 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Having been to Amsterdam fairly recently, you can get a glimpse of what our cities ought to look like. Far fewer cars, excellent bike options, smaller businesses thriving, no trubble, some of the friendliest young ladies I've ever met even if one of them, having invited me into her house randomly, started demanding my cash. She wuz friendly otherwise tho. I told her in no uncertain terms that there was no grainds fer me to hand over me hard earned pesetas to her, she asked me ter leave, yet the next evening she did the same again. Nutter or what

Anyway, Stop buying shit, eat less mete, have fewer childrun, tax the fukoutta greed an planet wrecking weasels like BP, invest in renewables, set fire to the elite hegemony of finance, oil an weapons, release the animals from the zoo and ban astro turfed gardens ffs
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptySun May 05, 2019 4:47 pm

I particularly liked the was they made cycling more user friendly in the Dam by removing all the hills, something we should maybe think about in Devon.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptySun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm

seadog wrote:
The planet is fecked, my Grandkids will suffer, I'll be dead.

That about sums it up nicely !!.

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. EmptySun May 05, 2019 8:47 pm

This plastic business is worrying also, especially the micro plastic. It is now in the food chain and that is absolutely tragic.

I watched a documentary on Sky News recently showing the damage that plastic is doing, not good at all. Lots of flip-flops everywhere and giant tortoises eating them, and other plastic they come across.

As for climate change, I think it may be too late ?. It will take a monumental global effort to address the issues at hand and I simply cannot see that happening. I did see some credible reports from 2017 suggesting plans that the skies were to be sprayed to combat climate change, and these would start in 2018. There were concerns about this kind of action being taken however, most notably about global weather patterns and how they would, perhaps be altered somewhat.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extinction rebellion.   Extinction rebellion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Extinction rebellion.
Page 1 of 1