Punchdrunk
Rickler
Jethro
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell Empty
PostSubject: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Plymouth Argyle's loan signing of Daniel Nardiello in January 2016 was one that excited fans as his goalscoring record was one that impressed.

But it would go on to become one of the most baffling signings of Derek Adams' tenure to date, with the striker barely getting any minutes for the side.

Nobody outside of the club understood why Nardiello was struggling to get game time and in the end the striker moved back to train with parent club Bury, even though he was still technically signed on loan to Argyle.

The Pilgrims were pushing for promotion to League One in Derek Adams' first season as manager and went into the January with a number of loan players.

Hiram Boateng, Christian Walton and Luke Croll all returned to their parent clubs on January 2nd, with Craig Tanner and Oscar Threlkeld remaining at Home Park.

Jordon Forster and Nardiello were brought into the side in January before Jordan Houghton, Jamille Matt and Boateng signed for the club on loan in March.

A team could only name five loanees in a matchday squad with Adams having more than that on the books.

It meant that certain players would miss out but Nardiello was out of favour even before the latest batch of loan stars arrived.

In fact, he made just four brief substitute appearances for the club, spanning 32 minutes in total.

“Unfortunately I had quite a few problems with my hip and my back, which kept me out for a long period of the season.

“I got back fit and then I got a slight fracture in my back, which put me back another six to eight weeks.

“My contract [with Bury] was coming to an end, I had to go out and play and there was some interest from a few different clubs.

“With Plymouth, the position they were in in the league, I was told I was going to go down and play games.

“It seemed like a no-brainer to me to go to a successful League Two team rather than go to a team lower in that league or lower in League One.

“It just seemed like the perfect option for me and I spoke to Derek Adams and it seemed really positive but obviously it didn’t work out that way once I got there."

Nardiello said it was clear from almost the moment he arrived in Plymouth that Adams didn't fancy him as a player.

The striker didn't fit into Adams' preferred style of play, which looking back, has made Nardiello question whether the Scot did his research on him before making the loan offer.

He said: "It came to fruition early doors, from when I got there.

“I didn’t know the style of play that Derek wanted to play and if I am being brutally honest I don’t think Derek did his research on me as a player.

“Looking at the players that played in my position, there was Brunty [Ryan Brunt] and they brought in Jamille Matt.

“They were all big target men strikers that could hold the ball up, flick the ball on and for me, I played up front on my own but the style of play was very different.

“It was more intricate play, I suppose, a lot of passing into my feet, running in behind.

“I don’t know if Derek knew exactly what type of player I was because that formation and style of play, for me, I wasn’t going to play as a number nine or target man.

“It was strange, they brought me in and I had a proven goalscoring record and I wasn’t even given a chance.”

Despite an impressive goalscoring record, Nardiello said anyone that is out for a season with injury can be forgotten.

The former Exeter City man knew that he needed to get game time in order to put himself in the shop window for the following season.

Nardiello has said that his spell in Plymouth was the worst period of his career but also claims that it helped him think about what he was going to do after he hung up his boots.

"I was gutted," said Nardiello.

"In the long term it has probably done me a massive favour in terms of I practically retired after that season.

“I concentrated on my next role, which I knew I was going to do, I had a couple of offers from some lower league clubs to go and play but it gave me some closure on football.

“I didn’t want to scrap around for contracts all around the country when my family was up north, so it helped me out in the long run.

“But at the time it was really frustrating because I wasn’t given an opportunity to prove what I could do.

“If I had gone there and even if I had got one full 90 minutes and I was atrocious and hadn’t scored or played well, at least I could have said I had the chance.

“I was never given that chance, even when there was opportunities for me to come on, other players were brought on before me and there were more loan players that were brought in which meant I was left out.

It was possibly the worst time period of my career in terms of football because I was away from family, friends, stuck somewhere that I wasn’t wanted or utilised and I wasn’t given the opportunity to prove myself, it was hard.

“I have to thank him in a lot of ways as I am settled in a new career, I played semi-pro for a bit and I am really happy with my business and how I am progressing after football, every cloud as they say.

“I have no hard feelings towards Plymouth or Derek, it was the circumstances that happened and I wish him all the best.

“Sometime managers fancy you, sometimes they don’t and it was just unfortunate for me that it came at a time when I needed to kick on for my football career.

“I do strongly believe that I would have scored goals, I have scored goals everywhere I have gone and I scored a few against Plymouth over the years.”

Nardiello explained that he tried to get Adams to give him a chance on numerous occasions and he kept coming up with different examples of why he should get a go in the first team.

But that chance never came and he ended up going back to train with Bury.

He said: "I had numerous discussions with Derek, I practically begged to be given a chance and it just never came.

“I tried to justify it in many ways, previous goals against Plymouth, previous goal scoring records, whatever it may be.

“He just didn’t fancy me as a player which is absolutely fine and in the end I requested to go back north and train with Bury.

“I said I was more than happy to come back but I don’t want to be away from my family, whilst I wasn’t even on the bench.

“There was Louis Rooney there as well, top lad, great young player and he was getting on the bench before me.

“That again is fine, I have no problems with it but I was fifth or sixth choice striker and it just didn’t add up or make sense for me to be there.

“It was a strange way that it unfolded.

“I went back to Bury, trained with Bury, was always on call for Plymouth if they ever needed me.

“I spoke to Derek on a weekly basis and said I would come down to train if he needed me or wanted to utilise me.

“I just didn’t want to be training with the kids at Plymouth which was the way it was going.

“To be fair to Derek, he understood and he didn’t really want me there, it was a bad move for both of us.”

Nowadays Nardiello is a financial advisor and as well as working with limited companies and law firms, many of his clients are professional footballers.

After receiving bad advice when he signed for QPR in 2007, Nardiello lost money and now he puts together a plan to help players use their money wisely.

He said: "I am passionate about helping young lads in football. I like to help footballers prepare for life after football, help them to avoid dodgy schemes and make sure they aren’t taken advantage of.

"I put a life plan together for the guys, so they can enjoy their money.

"They can use money to pay bills and also put some away into an investment vehicle, so they have enough to start own business or retire completely or just for the transition from one job to another.

"There is not much help in football in terms of financial planning."

And this baffling scot is head of football here, god help us......

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 7:36 pm

The truth? Looks like basically he wasn't good enough to get a gig anywhere...

Maybe Adams was right?
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Jethro wrote:
Plymouth Argyle's loan signing of Daniel Nardiello in January 2016 was one that excited fans as his goalscoring record was one that impressed.

But it would go on to become one of the most baffling signings of Derek Adams' tenure to date, with the striker barely getting any minutes for the side.

Nobody outside of the club understood why Nardiello was struggling to get game time and in the end the striker moved back to train with parent club Bury, even though he was still technically signed on loan to Argyle.

The Pilgrims were pushing for promotion to League One in Derek Adams' first season as manager and went into the January with a number of loan players.

Hiram Boateng, Christian Walton and Luke Croll all returned to their parent clubs on January 2nd, with Craig Tanner and Oscar Threlkeld remaining at Home Park.

Jordon Forster and Nardiello were brought into the side in January before Jordan Houghton, Jamille Matt and Boateng signed for the club on loan in March.

A team could only name five loanees in a matchday squad with Adams having more than that on the books.

It meant that certain players would miss out but Nardiello was out of favour even before the latest batch of loan stars arrived.

In fact, he made just four brief substitute appearances for the club, spanning 32 minutes in total.

“Unfortunately I had quite a few problems with my hip and my back, which kept me out for a long period of the season.

“I got back fit and then I got a slight fracture in my back, which put me back another six to eight weeks.

“My contract [with Bury] was coming to an end, I had to go out and play and there was some interest from a few different clubs.

“With Plymouth, the position they were in in the league, I was told I was going to go down and play games.

“It seemed like a no-brainer to me to go to a successful League Two team rather than go to a team lower in that league or lower in League One.

“It just seemed like the perfect option for me and I spoke to Derek Adams and it seemed really positive but obviously it didn’t work out that way once I got there."

Nardiello said it was clear from almost the moment he arrived in Plymouth that Adams didn't fancy him as a player.

The striker didn't fit into Adams' preferred style of play, which looking back, has made Nardiello question whether the Scot did his research on him before making the loan offer.

He said: "It came to fruition early doors, from when I got there.

“I didn’t know the style of play that Derek wanted to play and if I am being brutally honest I don’t think Derek did his research on me as a player.

“Looking at the players that played in my position, there was Brunty [Ryan Brunt] and they brought in Jamille Matt.

“They were all big target men strikers that could hold the ball up, flick the ball on and for me, I played up front on my own but the style of play was very different.

“It was more intricate play, I suppose, a lot of passing into my feet, running in behind.

“I don’t know if Derek knew exactly what type of player I was because that formation and style of play, for me, I wasn’t going to play as a number nine or target man.

“It was strange, they brought me in and I had a proven goalscoring record and I wasn’t even given a chance.”

Despite an impressive goalscoring record, Nardiello said anyone that is out for a season with injury can be forgotten.

The former Exeter City man knew that he needed to get game time in order to put himself in the shop window for the following season.

Nardiello has said that his spell in Plymouth was the worst period of his career but also claims that it helped him think about what he was going to do after he hung up his boots.

"I was gutted," said Nardiello.

"In the long term it has probably done me a massive favour in terms of I practically retired after that season.

“I concentrated on my next role, which I knew I was going to do, I had a couple of offers from some lower league clubs to go and play but it gave me some closure on football.

“I didn’t want to scrap around for contracts all around the country when my family was up north, so it helped me out in the long run.

“But at the time it was really frustrating because I wasn’t given an opportunity to prove what I could do.

“If I had gone there and even if I had got one full 90 minutes and I was atrocious and hadn’t scored or played well, at least I could have said I had the chance.

“I was never given that chance, even when there was opportunities for me to come on, other players were brought on before me and there were more loan players that were brought in which meant I was left out.

It was possibly the worst time period of my career in terms of football because I was away from family, friends, stuck somewhere that I wasn’t wanted or utilised and I wasn’t given the opportunity to prove myself, it was hard.

“I have to thank him in a lot of ways as I am settled in a new career, I played semi-pro for a bit and I am really happy with my business and how I am progressing after football, every cloud as they say.

“I have no hard feelings towards Plymouth or Derek, it was the circumstances that happened and I wish him all the best.

“Sometime managers fancy you, sometimes they don’t and it was just unfortunate for me that it came at a time when I needed to kick on for my football career.

“I do strongly believe that I would have scored goals, I have scored goals everywhere I have gone and I scored a few against Plymouth over the years.”

Nardiello explained that he tried to get Adams to give him a chance on numerous occasions and he kept coming up with different examples of why he should get a go in the first team.

But that chance never came and he ended up going back to train with Bury.

He said: "I had numerous discussions with Derek, I practically begged to be given a chance and it just never came.

“I tried to justify it in many ways, previous goals against Plymouth, previous goal scoring records, whatever it may be.

“He just didn’t fancy me as a player which is absolutely fine and in the end I requested to go back north and train with Bury.

“I said I was more than happy to come back but I don’t want to be away from my family, whilst I wasn’t even on the bench.

“There was Louis Rooney there as well, top lad, great young player and he was getting on the bench before me.

“That again is fine, I have no problems with it but I was fifth or sixth choice striker and it just didn’t add up or make sense for me to be there.

“It was a strange way that it unfolded.

“I went back to Bury, trained with Bury, was always on call for Plymouth if they ever needed me.

“I spoke to Derek on a weekly basis and said I would come down to train if he needed me or wanted to utilise me.

“I just didn’t want to be training with the kids at Plymouth which was the way it was going.

“To be fair to Derek, he understood and he didn’t really want me there, it was a bad move for both of us.”

Nowadays Nardiello is a financial advisor and as well as working with limited companies and law firms, many of his clients are professional footballers.

After receiving bad advice when he signed for QPR in 2007, Nardiello lost money and now he puts together a plan to help players use their money wisely.

He said: "I am passionate about helping young lads in football. I like to help footballers prepare for life after football, help them to avoid dodgy schemes and make sure they aren’t taken advantage of.

"I put a life plan together for the guys, so they can enjoy their money.

"They can use money to pay bills and also put some away into an investment vehicle, so they have enough to start own business or retire completely or just for the transition from one job to another.

"There is not much help in football in terms of financial planning."

And this baffling scot is head of football here, god help us......

Nickkkkk or Golbergs need anyone? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Rickler wrote:

The truth?   Looks like basically he wasn't good enough to get a gig anywhere...

Maybe Adams was right?

Truth in both i feel. Your right in saying he wasnt good enough to get a gig anywhere and jethro is right in saying del should have checked that fact.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Angry wrote:
Rickler wrote:

The truth?   Looks like basically he wasn't good enough to get a gig anywhere...

Maybe Adams was right?

Truth in both i feel. Your right in saying he wasnt good enough to get a gig anywhere and jethro is right in saying del should have checked that fact.

yes we've only heard one side of the story,
But given our limited budget, We shouldn't be spunking cash on players, who
1 haven't been scouted properly,
2 aren't actually gonna be used
3 who don't fit into what Del calls a tactic,

We can put  Dyson in the  Nardiello category this season,

This is what worries me about Del having all the power and no one to answer too,He can go ahead and spunk funds up a wall on players,
That don't fit in and who he hasn't even looked at properly,

Not sure that I want to add £20 every couple of weeks for him to waste.

Going by Halletts,  comments about  Del, He isn't going anywhere anytime soon either,
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Blame Adams all you like its the culture at the club at the moment, knee jerk decisions when things look to be not going along at an amble. Luckily we can't afford expensive mistakes like Nardiello nowadays. Football not prawns and property.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Blame Adams all you like its the culture at the club at the moment, knee jerk decisions when things look to be not going along at an amble. Luckily we can't afford expensive mistakes like Nardiello nowadays. Football not prawns and property.

The club has to do "property". The grandstand was falling down for chrissakes. It was unfit for purpose. Hopefully going forward it will now pay for itself, and generate revenue more towards the playing budget.

A step back to take two forward...
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 am

Earwegoagain wrote:

Not blaming Adams 100%, its Mr 30%s fault for giving Adams too much power,
Someone should be put Above Adams to say okay, you would like this player,for example
1, How much do they cost,
2,Have you scouted them
3,do they fit your system,
4, will you use them if we get them, or will they be another Dyson,

Because you are right we can't afford expensive mistakes,

But we keep making them each summer when Adams has to knee jerk to cobble together a squad every season,

Money is only part of the reason why we won't get anywhere,

Its the fact we don't/won't try to build a team around your Freddies,Rubens etc,

Thats Adams fault, but then its not that he's been given power above his paygrade,
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 am

Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

Someone should be put Above Adams to say okay, you would like this player,for example
2,Have you scouted them

But we keep making them each summer when Adams has to knee jerk to cobble together a squad every season,

Its the fact we don't/won't try to build a team around your Freddies,Rubens etc,

Thats Adams fault, but then its not that he's been given power above his paygrade,

That would be Simon Hallett's and the boards job.  The last thing Argyle need to be doing is paying someone to just be a supervisor.

If the board don't like what Adams is doing (and obviously for the most part they do), they should solve the problem at the source and sack him, and then hire a new manager - not another unneeded cog in the wheel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 7:23 am

Rickler wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

The club has to do "property".  The grandstand was falling down for chrissakes.  It was unfit for purpose.  Hopefully going forward it will now pay for itself, and generate revenue more towards the playing budget.

It was falling down because nobody did anything to it, it was left to rot. Once watched a game in there with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and we spotted an abandoned chest freezer and a birds nest in the roof.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 am

Rickler wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

The club has to do "property".  The grandstand was falling down for chrissakes.  It was unfit for purpose.  Hopefully going forward it will now pay for itself, and generate revenue more towards the playing budget.

And I can buy into that, what I can't buy into is the bullshit that our budget is at all sustainable for league 1 football which it clearly isn't. It's all getting a bit Brexit with both jobs taking about two years longer than needed.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 11:05 am

Rickler wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

2,Have you scouted them

That would be Simon Hallett's and the boards job.  The last thing Argyle need to be doing is paying someone to just be a supervisor.

If the board don't like what Adams is doing (and obviously for the most part they do), they should solve the problem at the source and sack him, and then hire a new manager - not another unneeded cog in the wheel.

thats what I'm hoping will happen now, no knee jerk un scouted , picking players up for the sake of having them,
Seems to have worked with Anderson,
So it could be working the summer is when we will see,
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am

Jethro wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

2,Have you scouted them

thats what I'm hoping will happen now, no knee jerk un scouted , picking players up for the sake of having them,

With or withöut Adams the summer will be the same as the last couple, we wil struggle to recruit decent players because they know as a club we are going no where.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

2,Have you scouted them

With or withöut Adams the summer will be the same as the last couple, we wil struggle to recruit decent players because they know as a club we are going no where.

I'm a bit more hopeful then the last couple of summers,
Hallett can't change the last 7 years of BS overnight but it seems like he's trying to unpick it all.

If we keep the 3 key players mentioned, then that should attract others to join. You would hope
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Perhaps someone should tell Nardiello something along the lines of -“we signed you as a risk free punt, but after a couple training session realised you were shit but possibly useful off the bench like that time you scored against us”
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm

It was a signing that smacked of desperation. On both sides.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Daniel who?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 am

tigertony wrote:
Daniel who?

Nardiello. cheers
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Not sure quality is the issue with Nardiello. Apparently he's unusual for a pro sportsman in that he doesn't want to play with any kind of injury niggle at all - even the sort of thing that 99% play through at one time or another. Allegedly Tisdale and previous managers Nardiello played under got fed up with it, so that might have happened with Adams. I can't be bothered to check, but as I recall he's missed an awful of games in his career.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Daniel who?

Nardiello. cheers

Don't feed the troll
party animal
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 1:06 am

Wasn't there rumours that he didn't get on with Wotton?  To me it always seemed more of a Starnes signing than a managerial one.  He was affordable and we were desperate... and the fans wanted a signing.  The year we bailed out of automatic promotion... Northampton signed James Collins, who later went to Luton and is now scoring for fun.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Certainly bad publicity for Adams & Argyle and may well put off a few prospective signings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell   Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell Empty

Back to top Go down

Daniel Nardiello reveals truth behind disastrous Plymouth Argyle spell
Page 1 of 1