+2
sufferedsince 68
Jethro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager Empty
PostSubject: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Bristol Rovers have appointed caretaker boss Graham Coughlan as their manager on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

The 44-year-old ex-Plymouth Argyle and Sheffield Wednesday defender had been in interim charge since former boss Darrell Clarke's exit on 13 December.

"I believe I've shown I'm capable of building on the great work that Darrell Clarke has done," said the Irishman.

Rovers won three of his five games in caretaker charge, moving out of the League One relegation zone.

Prior to that, they had lost eight times in 10 games. But they are now above 21st-placed Bradford City on goal difference.

Rovers' next two matches are away from home - at Northampton in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday, then at Accrington on Saturday.

After a 19-year playing career with Bray Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Swindon Town (loan), Livingston, Plymouth, Wednesday, Burnley (loan), Rotherham United, Shrewsbury Town and Southend United, this is Dublin-born Coughlan's first job as a manager.

'We all share the same vision'
Chief executive Martyn Starnes said: "I have met Graham, [development coach] Chris Hargreaves and [head of recruitment] Tommy Widdrington to discuss further our plans in the current transfer window.

"We all share the same vision and are all entirely committed to doing what is required for the club to continue to improve."

Coughlan added: "I would like to extend my greatest thanks to the supporters, staff and board who have been outstanding in the time I have been in charge.

"I'd also like to place on note my particular thanks also to Martyn Starnes for the hard work and professionalism that he has shown throughout this process."

Club president Wael Al Qadi said "From early on in his interim role, we saw something in Graham that suggested he was the right man to take this football club forward.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Didn't fancy Del eh Martyn....

If We wasn't in the shit or he had taken a non localish rival overm I'd wish Graham well.

one of my favourite players to play for us,
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Great player when we still had a club, good luck Cocko.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Great player when we still had a club, good luck Cocko.

Exactly a proper take no shit defender, what we are missing now.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 4:02 pm

He was a proper leader at the back and every bodies favourite defender. I wish him all the best and would hope he'd get a good reception from us at HP.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm

He will, universally respected down here. However, I sympathize with the Gas supporters saying "feckin cheap option again". I think a lot of us might have had similar thoughts in similar circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Starnes is involved of course they went for the cheap option,
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 4:53 pm

I believe Rovers first choice was the Newport County manager (currently 1 up v Leicester City) Clearly, he didn't fancy it.

Aren't Rovers one of those Clubs with a wealthy owner who doesn't spend money on football? As in, they let their top scorer go to City last season, but didn't replace him or spend the money?

Isn't Chris Hargreaves a youth coach at Rovers?  IMO, he's a better shout for Manager
Back to top Go down
Big Robby

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Grovehill wrote:
I believe Rovers first choice was the Newport County manager (currently 1 up v Leicester City) Clearly, he didn't fancy it.

Aren't Rovers one of those Clubs with a wealthy owner who doesn't spend money on football? As in, they let their top scorer go to City last season, but didn't replace him or spend the money?

Isn't Chris Hargreaves a youth coach at Rovers?  IMO, he's a better shout for Manager

Couple of the guys I work with are Rovers fans and they say that the guy from Jordan who bought them is a minor royal who hasnt got billions but bought Rovers as something to show off and will not ever have the cash to splash on the club so not sure if they are any better or worse off than us at the moment.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Grovehill wrote:

Just got back from Tavvy where I had a couple of pints in Chams and watched the last half hour of the game. Newport were worth the win, rode their luck at times but great defensive display but great going forward with Jamille Matt a real handful. We were linked with Matt at one time but he went somewhere else, was it Balckpool? Anyway Newport look like they'd stuff us at the moment. Must be their billionaire owners and Michelin starred hot fork buffet facilities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager   Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager Empty

Back to top Go down

Coughlan appointed Bristol Rovers manager
Page 1 of 1