HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Football Manager fame ruined My Career

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Football Manager fame ruined My Career Empty
PostSubject: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Sold his story to promote a book,

Cherno Samba admits his Championship Manager fame “just got too much” and eventually “haunted” him, with even rival defenders taunting him about it.

Mid-90s editions of popular computer game predicted Samba would develop from a wonder-kid to world beater of a striker without fail.

Virtual managers simply had to buy then teenage Millwall prospect Samba and a bucketload of goals and trophies came guaranteed, making him a cult hero among Championship Manager fans.

But it also contributed to the 'what happened to Cherno Samba?' guessing game around the globe when he did not explode onto the scene and become the player he was tipped to in real life.

His notoriety came with benefits like getting his phone delivery time cut from three months to next day and lightening the mood when he was being questioned by police in Iran all because he was “THE Cherno Samba.”

But he said in his upcoming autobiography Still In The Game: “Before I announced my retirement from real football at the age of 29, it could be said that I had become just, if not more, famous for my ‘legendary’ status on Championship Manager.

“Arguably my impressive in-game stats enabled my virtual presence to overtake my real life football career at certain times in my career.

“I was the greatest English footballer of my generation, but only on the hugely popular computer simulation game.

“For a long time, I was haunted by the discrepancy between my abilities in Championship Manager and my record in real life. Opposition defenders would sometimes taunt me about it.

“When I was at Plymouth, one day in training I shot well wide, and Barry Hayles, said: “F***ing hell, Cherno. That’s not why I bought you in Championship Manager.”

"So I started pretending I didn’t play it. It just got too much.”

Samba has since gone on to work with the game's makers and featured in their advertising campaigns.

He added: “I must admit I’m very pleased to have been associated with the game and, if anything, it has reminded people of my story.

“Even after 12 years, people still talk to me about the game and how well I played for them – or not.

“Most people still know me as a ‘legend’ of Championship Manager / Football Manager and it’s nice to make people happy."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-football-manager-fame-ruined-13473445

Football Manager cult hero Cherno Samba opens up on botched Liverpool move
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-manager-cult-hero-cherno-13466958

How Football Manager cult hero Cherno Samba is on the fast track to becoming a "top" boss in real life
Samba says he's learned from his mistakes as a player and is eager to use his experience to help mould a new generation
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-manager-cherno-samba-coach-10626466
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm

lol barry hayles
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 pm

I know that I used to try and sign Him and Adu when I played FM all the time,
Then when Samba was at Argyle, I couldn't even get a Non-league team to pay £10 for him.
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Luanito Lopez from Newcastle is scoring hatfulls for me in FM 20018.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 pm

im getting the new one tomorrow albeit the beta version
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Haven't played it for years dont have a pc good enough to play it
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 8:36 pm

I retired in 2005 after a statue of me was erected outside Home Park
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
I retired in 2005 after a statue of me was erected outside Home Park

its well deserved those 5 champions leagues wins were the best bit of supporting argyle.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I got lucky one game after struggling to get argyle into the premiership, year I was closest around jan Argyle got took over and big money followed, think that was FM08 but I had made it hard for myself and started from the confreance south
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 10:45 pm

I never heard Tonton Zola Moukoko complain.

It was Champ manager btw
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am

Is this what Adams uses as his scouting network?
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:

Wasn't it Fletcher who employed a kid years ago to do this kinda thing ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

That was PASOTI resident football expert GreenMatt. I believe he still does that particular job, probably expenses only and a tracksuit with his initials on iot.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

That was PASOTI resident football expert GreenMatt. I believe he still does that particular job, probably expenses only and a tracksuit with his initials on iot.

Had a feeling thats what the deal was, shows how desperate Fletcher was to have a scouting network on the cheap....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football Manager fame ruined My Career   Football Manager fame ruined My Career Empty

Back to top Go down

Football Manager fame ruined My Career
Page 1 of 1