Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What sort of year do you reckon this is ??

Go down 
+11
Tgwu
Les Miserable
Chemical Ali
#SHITARTIST
Czarcasm
zyph
mouldyoldgoat
PatDunne
Greenskin
Earwegoagain
harvetheslayer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am

Simply wow....Mutley Plain

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Wow10
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am

harvetheslayer wrote:
Any idea where this is ??  No comments with it originally. I cant work it out at all

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Not10

John Stidston & Sons were trading and living at Nos. 7&8 Treville Street, Plymouth, in 1872 and were established (though probably not at the same address) in 1842.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Treville St was almost certainly the old street that ran down from Old Town St , and became known as Bretonside at the junction with Buckwell St. There was a school there at the same time apparently that may have become Martin's Gate. In context, Treville St is probably running down at the very bottom of this aerial picture of St Andrews before the war, where that old insurance buildig is now that became a restaurant just above the old Buckwell St dole office, next to the Nat West. Looks the right shape, and you can make out the large chimney stacks and few buildings to the right. No wonder you didn't recognise it Harve, totally flattened by a not very nice selfish man
What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 P1010678
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 pm

beesrus wrote:
Treville St was almost certainly the old street that ran down from Old Town St , and became known as Bretonside at the junction with Buckwell St. There was a school there at the same time apparently that may have become Martin's Gate. In context, Treville St is probably running down at the very bottom of this aerial picture of St Andrews before the war, where that old insurance buildig is now that became a restaurant just above the old Buckwell St dole office, next to the Nat West. Looks the right shape, and you can make out the large chimney stacks and few buildings to the right. No wonder you didn't recognise it Harve, totally flattened by a not very nice selfish man

Plymouth certainly attracts them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Bingo. Here's a map of Plymouth 1860, clearly confirming Treville St  basically just up hill from the closed Breton Arms and going down to the future Plaza cinema site and Sutton Harbour.  If the camera swung right it would catch the end of the church.
I think we can put this one to bed. ATD time detectives.

https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/susser/plmap1860.htm
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 pm

^^

Thanks/OK Thanks/OK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Here's a very interesting and clever site I've been looking at for a few years. It compare maps with the 1800's and present day. Move the cursor around to see what buildings and roads still compare and how they have changed.............

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.3744&lon=-4.1416&layers=1&right=BingHyb

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 am

The photos I put up have come from the facebook link below if anyone wants to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/582241218608094/?tn-str=*F&fref=gs&dti=582241218608094&hc_location=group_dialog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm

A rare image of a very early Burrator reservoir.

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 42815510
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 am

There was a bridge there... well I never knew that.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 7:04 am

Cracking photo POI
Likewise no idea there was ever a bridge
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 11:19 am

Shared that photo elsewhere and this came back alternative view and comment

"You can still see the foundations today of the pillars. It was built to save the people of Sheepstor having a long diversion, when the road was closed to raise the dam . it was apparently weight tested by some local guy driving his steam engine across first"...

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Bridge10
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 3:44 pm

That is mental. I've sat many times on the support on the right hand side and always wondered what it was. In the first photo you can see the fir plantations near Sheepstor haven't happened yet and are all still farmland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Best subject matter ever on ATD! Cracking pics
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 6:59 am

Graiser wrote:

If you're on FB Graiser the link to where some of the photos came from is earlier in the thread
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am

I'm not on FB (seriously) but every time the Herald posts a city centre pic from the late 60's/early 70's I right click and save, if anyone has pics of that era and would be good enough to post here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am

PatDunne wrote:
I'm not on FB (seriously) but every time the Herald posts a city centre pic from the late 60's/early 70's I right click and save, if anyone has pics of that era and would be good enough to post here?

I would suggest this pic is a bit earlier thna 60/70's LOL. But you get the general idea.

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 42720510
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 2:29 pm

My nostalgia trip is for the 60/70's - places I would have been dragged into as a kid and now wished I had paid more attention. I remember a car sales place down by the coach drop off shelters, had electric Morris minor type toy cars *on a lead lol my gran was going to buy me one if she ever won the pools bless her, I used to get a woollies pick n mix dinky every time we went in town. I think there was a coffee roaster place next to the car showroom?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2018 6:06 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
Graiser wrote:

If you're on FB Graiser the link to where some of the photos came from is earlier in the thread

Thanks for that H, not on FB but might have a rethink about that
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 3:35 pm

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Train10

Credit to named photographer. Didnt notice it originally apologies
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 am

Wonderful old movie from Pathe re the Tamar Bridge.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 pm

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 44180510
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 pm

2007?

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 am

Cracking photo POI
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 am

What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Alma10

These were the notes with it......am having trouble placing the photo

"MILEHOUSE, a bigger CENTRAL PARK, a very narrow ALMA ROAD, a TRAM and the old public toilets. Looking to town. The building on the town side of the loos was an electrical substation for the trams overhead supply"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What sort of year do you reckon this is ??   What sort of year do you reckon this is  ?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What sort of year do you reckon this is ??
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next