The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Afternoon All,

My wife and I are running the RAT SW Coastal Path Race from Porthscatho to the base camp in Porthpean (St Austell) on Saturday. We'll be camping on the Saturday night and then heading back to Plymouth mid-morning Sunday.

Not being a local of those parts does anyone have a suggestion for a picturesque and/or lovely breakfast/brunch for us to partake in on the way back to Plymouth at all? Don't mind a meander off the fastest route for a nice spot.

Cheers all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 4:51 pm

As you're on the south coast, best to keep to it. Asking for trouble on a Sunday school holiday Dick, as everywhere is jammed, although a bit of rare rain is hanging around on Sunday. Polkerris beach/harbour, very near you, is heavenly and a great restaurant, not sure of it's opening but a pig of a place for twaffic in the holidays. Maybe not quite so bad early on. Check the restaurant's opening times early doors

If it were me, I would head for Plymouth from the ,main Snozzle road and then take a detour down to SE cornwall, Millbrook way. You could eat at the eating place at Portwrinkle overlooking the beach, but for the best food by far, and interest, on the high ground overlooking Cawsand/Kingsand is Maker and The Maker camp Canteen. ( look at their website and sat nav ). Trendy leftie hippie nissen hut River cottage type thing, and you could take a quick walk down to Cawsand and back in an hour too if you wanted, or just walk around the site and enjoy the coastline..... it's also a bit of a glamping place with yurts. This choice means you get to detour down a little known part of Cornwall that really is undersold, and it's always easy to get to Maker and park for nothing. Also the detour would enable you to cross the Tamar on the Torpoint ferry, rather than the bridge, that's always worth it
If you want the experience right on the harbourside of some Daphne Du Maurier Cornish village, you're going to be disappointed this time of year on a Sunday.  Avoid any honey pot like Polperro unless you have plenty of time and patience, they'll be heaving and irksome. Talland Bay has a little reasonable cafe and you might just find some parking there given it might be a bit wet on Sunday. Otherwise to be avoided when the beach is cooking. Food average but acceptable.
Louis cafe at Kit Hill, all on it's ownsome, is basic fare, friendly and very reasonable, burt river cottage it ain't. Great view though of the land running down to Plymouth and also across to Bodmin moor. And maybe a quick half hour on top of Kit Hill. So difficult this time of year with roads heaving.   Maker Canteen for me, I use it regularly.
Here's a piccie I took a week or two ago while swimming at Polkerris with my super duper waterproof gopro. Restaurant is glass building by slipway.. near you, lovely, but awkward
Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth Polker11
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks Bees, I thought it was your turf. Very comprehensive and very much appreciated.

Cheers Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

What Bees Said. Rod and Line at Tideford does great crab might need to order, good boozer but no views depends what you want. I'd go Maker and maybe a wander to Cawsand and a nice pint.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Another good place down Snuzzle way is the Britannia on the main road near Par. Always had a good meal there.
The Cheesewring at Minions near Caradon Hill do great food too at reasonable prices. Never had a poor meal there & it’s always the “go to” place for all our family. Only ten minutes drive from the A38 at Doublebois.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Cheers all. Maker (remember it from my school trip days) sounds perfect for a late morning brunch followed by a wander and a pint, although can’t do a full lunchtime drunken as on the ferry to Roscoff in the evening.

Really appreciated Gents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Lord Melbury wrote:
Another good place down Snuzzle way is the Britannia on the main road near Par. Always had a good meal there.
The Cheesewring at Minions near Caradon Hill do great food too at reasonable prices. Never had a poor meal there & it’s always the “go to” place for all our family. Only ten minutes drive from the A38 at Doublebois.

Lol. You say that Melbers, but my last visit to Minions was a disaster, and not that long ago, camped up this mid summer solstice eve ready for the sunrise at the Hurlers. As you said, the Cheesewring is a good pub, but the food we got that evening was hopeless... we've had many a chuckle about it since. Should have smelled a rat when the barman was in competition with the owner as to who could sell the most specials. Great sunrise, crap food.
Great place, Minions for a bit of mining history, and of course not far from Daniel Gumb's "cave" up at Cheesewring, the erstwhile original poll tax/exorbitant rent avoider.
Dick, the best pub of 3 in Kingsands, not Cawsands next door ( walk down the path from Maker camp ) is the Devonport. I can't think of a pub nearer the water in Cornwall, apart from maybe the Blue Peter in Polperro. 30 feet ?  I'd show you a photo of mine with it being battered by the storms 3 or 4 years ago if I had a decent filing system... right through the bar the sea went. The clock tower nearly disappeared that day.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 12:16 am

I’m a bit further west than you Dick. Down on the Lizard all this week. Braved the Kynance hordes yesterday at high tide before wading around to the 2nd beach at around half tide. Spot of lunch at the Paris Hotel in Coverack today followed by a trip to Roskilleys for ice cream.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Cheers all. Maker (remember it from my school trip days) sounds perfect for a late morning brunch followed by a wander and a pint, although can’t do a full lunchtime drunken  as on the ferry to Roscoff in the evening.

Really appreciated Gents.

Geddon runners. Good luck.

If you go to Maker, knock up my forebears in the churchyard. Fair few of them buried there. Is where mother and father tied the knot too.

Rame Peninsula the most underrated part of Kernow and i’d take the south coast over north any day of the week.

Have a dip at Kingsand, bhey. Booty, that is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth   Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommendations Required Brunch Porthpean to Plymouth
Page 1 of 1