Earwegoagain
seadog
Mock Cuncher
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

The Scottish Wildcat Empty
PostSubject: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 9:31 am

Worth saving, or fuckit?

There are around 30-40 of them left, pure, and they're the world's rarest feline (that we know abait).

Personally, I struggle to feel too bothered because they interbreed with domestic cats, and I'm not sure they have much impact on the world on top of stray tabbys anyway.

The lynx, deerhunter extraordinaire, or the wulf, on the other hand, could play a huge part in helping re-establish a natural balance to our wild lands, none of which are particularly wild, trooth be told.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 9:36 am

I thought this was another DA thread!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 9:50 am

If he was a Scottish creature, he'd be a grouse. he doesn't give a fukabait any other creatures and his habitat will be managed extensively at the expense of anything interesting; he's happy on his corn and will eat it until that one day he's pottering along, will be disturbed by a local beater, fly up in the air shocked, and get shot by one of the same rich private school toff fookers whose nefarious selfishness has enabled this shocking state of affairs in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 am

The only way to save to Widcat is to shoot/trap/poison all domestic cats in Scotland, not that I'd give a fook about those murderous little bastards they are like posh people in cute fur jackets. As for Lynx maybe Scotland is uninhabited enough but the reality is they will probably all get shot by sheep farmers. I would love to see and hear Wolves in the wild although we just aren't big enough as a country. Not only will they eat Deer but Sheep, Cows, Ponies, People's dogs, the odd small child. When they reintroduced them to Yelowstone which is about the size of Wales they soon bred up and split with satellite packs turning up well well outside of the reserve and they are huge country. When they stray they get shot.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 am

cheers There it is, "The size of Wales" the most frequently used geographical comparison in the history of geographical comparisons Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:13 am

Fookin sheep farmers and their white fluffy plague decimating Dartmoor.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 am

seadog wrote:
I thought this was another DA thread!

I thought it was Nicola Sturgeon!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am

Les Miserable wrote:
cheers    There it is,  "The size of Wales"     the most frequently used geographical comparison in the history of geographical comparisons  Very Happy  

True although Wales is the only country that is actually the size of Wales.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:

Without the fluffy white plague you wouldn't be able to walk anywhere on Dartmoor in about five years.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Without the fluffy white plague you wouldn't be able to walk anywhere on Dartmoor in about five years.
That'd be better than the whole place dying. It's a desert, by any other name.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:54 am

And yep, Wolves likely wouldn't work, although countries like the Netherlands have had successful trials, so, yer know, if there was a will.

Lynx though are ambush tree hunters. Yep they'd take the odd sheep, but their main prey is red deer, which require culling every year so they don't eat everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 am

I think that an animal that is feckin itself into extinction should be allowed to do what it wants. But it can’t complain when it is renamed the Scottish slightly peeved cat.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

That'd be better than the whole place dying. It's a desert, by any other name.

Lol, we talking drought or Sheep here? If you re wilded Dartmoor as they have tried in some test areas by stopping grazing you get a high scrubby ling gorse which takes over along with Bracken. Although they provide some nesting and foraging for birds it's at the expense of ground nesting birds and rodents as there is no herbage underneath for them to feed on. You also see a decrease in the amount of Raptors Owls especially not to kention the marsh Harriers and Merlins. There is a wild population of Red Grouse on the moor who would die out as they need young shoots to feed on either provided by burning heather or grazing by sheep. The moor has been managed for thousands of years including swaling or burning. The wildlife has evolved with this. Having grazing, some swaling and a variety of habitats as we do now is as good for wildlife if not better than the hands off approach.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think that an animal that is feckin itself into extinction should be allowed to do what it wants. But it can’t complain when it is renamed the Scottish slightly peeved cat.

But that's all cats.

And pretty much all Scots, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 2:49 pm

MikeWN wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

But that's all cats.

And pretty much all Scots, too.

Doesn't Peeved have a completely different meaning in Scotland?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Anyway we already have feckin great Pumas on Dartmoor, not that I've ever seen one despite spendining loads of time up there usually with gert big dogs that loved to chase cats. I know seemingly level headed people who swear they have though. My dogs did find a roe deer that was completely eaten out in a Puma type way once but I wouldn't call it proof.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 3:47 pm

There used to be a wild Black Panther where I grew up in Buckinghamshire.

A few people saw it over the years, including me.

I will admit I shit myself when it jumped out of the woods in front of me!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I loooooove cats, they're magnificent, even a lowly Maine coon or Mannamead moggy. Cross breeding has always gone on in nature. We encourage it with social mobility policies within our own species. I like diversity, what's the alternative ? A world of Janners and hunting hounds ? Good luck to the wildcats, what will be will be,

What I don't like however is every animal attraction in the country cynically using the media every summer school holidays. Has nessie made an appearance this year in a fuggy lens ?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Cats are murderous cnuts. It's ok having the odd mouser around the farm or country cottage but irresponsible cat owners letting their little darlings out in nesting season to slaughter millions of birds should he a huge no no.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 pm

That's called Black cat syndrome moulders, whereby even a small black cat can look menacingly large if moving.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
That's called Black cat syndrome moulders, whereby even a small black cat can look menacingly large if moving.

It looked feckin big from 10 foot away I can tell you!

Funny thing was someone who used to take the piss out of me in the pub about it saw it a couple of years after me.

He apologised and said he would never doubt me ever again.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Sounds like On the way home from the pub syndrome
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 pm

He used to say I saw it on the way home from the pub!  Very Happy
I saw it on the way home from college about 6 o'clock.

He was on the way to the pub when he saw it.

He came in shaking like a leaf, ordered a pint and a whisky chaser, downed them both in one.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Scottish Wildcat   The Scottish Wildcat Empty

Back to top Go down

The Scottish Wildcat
Page 1 of 1