The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chief Exec Interview in 'erald

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Chief Exec Interview in 'erald Empty
PostSubject: Chief Exec Interview in 'erald   Chief Exec Interview in 'erald EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 am

Martin Baker, the new Chief Exec (and FD of Saltrock) gives an interview with the Herald- he basically talks about driving commercial revenue. Also states he shares part of the role with Jason Turner, General Manager, who deals with football aspects of the role. I don't know much about Turner but is he qualified on the football side (I'm hoping he's not another Keith Turd)?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Baker determined to put principles into practice .Wednesday, February 01, 2012 Plymouth Herald

DRIVING up commercial and retail income is one of the key objectives for Plymouth Argyle's acting chief executive Martin Baker.

Both of those sources of revenue were hard hit during the Pilgrims' seven months in administration last year, when their survival as a club was in the balance.

Baker was named as Argyle's acting chief executive last month, at the same time as owner and interim chairman James Brent unveiled his board of directors.

Prior to that, Baker had been the club's part-time finance director since Brent completed his buy-out of the Pilgrims at the end of last October.

Baker is working closely with Argyle's general manager Jason Turner, but each have clearly defined roles.

Baker told Herald Sport: "Basically, the idea is for me to look at various commercial aspects of the business and assess what, if anything, is required at that level.

"In practical terms, I think the chief executive role of the business can largely be split into two.

"There is the playing side of things, which is dealt with by Jason, and the traditional management of the business.

"The business, in essence, is very simple. Most of the income is generated as a result of what happens on 23 matchdays throughout the year.

"Other than that, we are doing our best to improve the commercial and retail income of the business."

Baker described the financial health of Argyle as 'stable' but it is clearly still a challenging time for the club.

He added: "Commercial income has been difficult, and it started right at the beginning of the season.

"People were unwilling to buy season tickets because they weren't sure what future the club had, and they weren't sure whether it would still be in business.

"I also think people have been loath to book commercial activities, such as birthday parties and anniversaries at Home Park, for the very same reason.

"We have had to restart those things, pretty much from a standstill."

In addition to his role for Argyle, Baker is also finance director of Saltrock, the Barnstaple-based surfwear company which is also part of Brent's business empire.

"I spend about 60 per cent of my time here (at Home Park), so about 50 hours a week probably," he said.

"It has been enjoyable, particularly when you get three points."

Baker's association with Brent first started last March, when he was appointed as finance director of Saltrock.

That soon led to him becoming involved with the Pilgrims.

He said: "When James was originally looking at Plymouth Argyle he felt the role of finance director could be combined with that at Saltrock."

Baker trained as a chartered accountant with KPMG in Birmingham and worked with them for six years.

Since then, he has been employed in a number of positions, ranging from finance director through to chief executive, at a wide variety of companies.

His only previous involvement in football had been as a spectator.

Baker said: "I think the same principle applies to finance in football clubs as any other business. If a company spends more than it earns, at some stage down the line there will be misery."

Argyle know that only too well, from bitter experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chief Exec Interview in 'erald   Chief Exec Interview in 'erald EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am

Turner was club secretary brought in by Ridsdale back in the autumn after 15 years in a similar position at Cardiff, when Ridsdale left he was more or less running the show. Looks like a safe pair of hands at least and should have the experience required.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Chief Exec Interview in 'erald   Chief Exec Interview in 'erald EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am

Quote :
DRIVING up commercial and retail income is one of the key objectives for Plymouth Argyle's acting chief executive Martin Baker.

Good. The club has been crap at this for years. I have a friend who has sponsored players, matches, advertising boards and has taken tables in the Business Lounge and he is staggered that he has always actually been the customer and has had to seek out the purchase of the deal rather than having it sold to him by the club. He is even more staggered that when a season-long deal, such as for an advertising board, comes to an end that he has never even been contacted by the club to see if he wants to renew in the following season. There's loads of instances of this going back years and years. He reckons that even a semi-competent commercial department would knock spots off what the club has achieved in the past.

The effects of this are far more pernicious than a simple failure to maximise revenue. Over the past year or so it is the bar takings and other income from the business lounge that have basically kept the club afloat. The importance of that revenue has been used by various individuals to protect and advance themselves, curry favour and gain influence within the club.

A poorly performing commercial operation is a weakness in for the club's ethos, branding, economic and on-pitch success so good luck to Mr Baker in his efforts to turn things around. I know nothing of him but given how low the starting point is he can hardly fail to be a success.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chief Exec Interview in 'erald   Chief Exec Interview in 'erald Empty

Back to top Go down

Chief Exec Interview in 'erald
Page 1 of 1