The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Peter Reid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Peter Reid Empty
PostSubject: Peter Reid   Peter Reid EmptyThu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Former Plymouth Argyle manager Peter Reid has confirmed that owner James Brent has been in touch to invite him as a guest of honour to the Pilgrims final home game of the 2016/17 season.

Reid was manager at Home Park during the most turbulent time in the club's history as administration woes and points deductions came close to crippling Plymouth Argyle and seeing it completely disappear from the Football League.

The former Manchester City and Sunderland boss - who turned out for Bolton and Everton in his playing days - even went as far as to auction off an FA Cup medal for £2,200 to help contribute staff wages and also paid the club's heating bill out of his own pocket.

He told jokingly Herald Sport when he spoke to us this week: "It was a loser's medal and it was against Liverpool so it wasn't too important! No -- I'm being a bit flippant there!"

"I just thought it was something I could do," he said more seriously.

"There was an auction to raise money and I thought I'd help out any way I could.

"Somebody said it was just a case of 'all hands to the pump'.

"To be fair to the FA they sent me one a couple of years later which I thought was a nice touch."

It was that level of generosity which endeared Reid to the Green Army and in recent weeks there has been a campaign on social media to get him down as a special guest for the final home game of the season - against Crewe Alexandra this coming Saturday.

"I followed a bit of that on Twitter," he said.

"And Mr Brent was in touch with me as well.

"He's been smashing.

"Unfortunately I can't make it. But I do promise to come down next season and spend a few days in Plymouth – it's a lovely area."

Reid, who spoke at length on his time in Plymouth (we have a long feature with him on that subject coming soon!), said that one of his fondest memories of the club was the commitment of the fans.

So he was really pleased to hear that the Green Army were desperate to pay tribute to him for the Crewe game.

"I think it's a brilliant gesture, I've got to say that," he said.

"It's really heart warming to tell you the truth.

"It was really nice of them."
Back to top Go down

Peter Reid
Page 1 of 1