harvetheslayer
VillageGreen
Greenskin
Tgwu
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jabba the gut ecfc

Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 am

VillageGreen wrote:
One has to thank Exeter City for giving Argyle the chance to become Champions.

Cheers.

I have a sneaking suspicion you might pull it off.

Watching four games is is obviously patchy information, but from what I've seen you're a significantly better side than Doncaster - not least due to the fact that by fairly common consent you have the best player in the division. Maybe I've caught them on bad days, but the genius that is Coppinger apart I've been less impressed with their individual players than I have been with the likes of Carey, Bradley, and Threlkeld etc.

To be honest I've been deeply underwhelmed by them in general. Admittedly they beat us at SJP, but unusually even their own manager said it was a false result. By contrast I think we thoroughly deserved to beat them today.

I'm going to get dogs' abuse from the widely despised exeweb - apparently they slagged me at one point for being "a Plymouth fan" just because I post on here very occasionally. However despite past tongue-in-cheek jibes I'd have absolutely  no problem if you trumped Doncaster.

As I've argued here and elsewhere many times before (including on exeweb when I was stupid enough to waste my time posting on that pathetic lunatic asylum)  all three of us (e.g Torquay included) suffer from the perception in the football industry that Devon & Cornwall is the back of beyond. The more Devon clubs that do well and put themselves on the radar, the better off we all are. It may well turn out to be a very good thing for both of us that Torquay have got themselves out of jail.

I'd invite sceptics to consider a (probable fantasy) scenario where all three Devon clubs are battling each other in the Championship. It's surely self-evident that we would all benefit.

Strangely enough I bumped into a Torquay season-ticket holder at SJP a while back who goes to SJP and Home Park when the Turks are too far away for him to attend. Unprompted, he said exactly the same during the chat we had.

UTC! (Do I get banned for that?)
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 1:09 am

Ummmmmm

No you won't.

Thank you Exeter City!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 am

Erm fock off Jabbs, you know fore shore we'd prefer a trip to Carlisle next season.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 am

I went yesterday. Shockingly bad first half and clearly reminiscent of other notable terrible home 'performances' this season against bottom half sides - sitting too deep, no shots, misplaced passes, no urgency etc Argo lucky to be only one down at half time. Improved considerably after the break and after the changes. Two very well taken goals. Ended with Argo defending deep again including being forced to defend a succession of corners.

Next week going to be interesting
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 am

Freathy wrote:
I went yesterday.  Shockingly bad first half and clearly reminiscent of other notable terrible home 'performances' this season against bottom half sides - sitting too deep, no shots, misplaced passes, no urgency etc  Argo lucky to be only one down at half time. Improved considerably after the break and after the changes.  Two very well taken goals.  Ended with Argo defending deep again including being forced to defend a succession of corners.

Next week going to be interesting

Agree with all that, we were complete crap first half, but full credit to Crewe for giving it a good go.
Point is Derek, was decisive in changing things, Blissett was a revelation coming on at half time, the win was well deserved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 am

i left at half time as the football was complete shite and the whole dump of the ground was devoid of any atmosphere. Depressing as feck, wish i'd stayed in the pub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 am

Freathy wrote:
I went yesterday

affraid affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 am

alannotivvy wrote:
i left at half time as the football was complete shite and the whole dump of the ground was devoid of any atmosphere.  Depressing as feck, wish i'd stayed in the pub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Argyle score two goals in the SECOND HALF and go top of the league and need one more win to be champions..... and you leave the ground at H/T......been said many times over the years.....'football is a game of two halves'.....and you chose the wrong half.

PS.....no points are given out at H/T.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 11:17 am

zyph wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:
i left at half time as the football was complete shite and the whole dump of the ground was devoid of any atmosphere.  Depressing as feck, wish i'd stayed in the pub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Argyle score two goals in the SECOND HALF and go top of the league and need one more win to be champions..... and you leave the ground at H/T......been said many times over the years.....'football is a game of two halves'.....and you chose the wrong half.

Talk about stating the obvious. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, yet another 3 points gained from a seemingly poor performance, how many times has that happened this season?

Top of the league with a game to go - who'd have thought it?

Lots of rumours around that this was Carey's last game at Home Park. Hope we can keep him, but we shall see. If Green Jim's austerity programme continues in L1, probably not.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 12:15 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
zyph wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:

Talk about stating the obvious.  Rolling Eyes

Anyway, yet another 3 points gained from a seemingly poor performance, how many times has that happened this season?

Lots of rumours around that this was Carey's last game at Home Park. Hope we can keep him, but we shall see. If Green Jim's austerity programme continues in L1, probably not.

Last week the apology of an owner, ducked and dived around the issue of Carey staying when droning on about it on radio Devon.
First of all he said "we hope to keep him" BUT it was up to Graham, and then it was up to Derek apparently.
Talk about being decisive, useless twat.
Where's the million pound gone? you shyster. scratch

BRENT OUT
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 pm

akagreengull wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
zyph wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:

Talk about stating the obvious.  Rolling Eyes

Talk about being decisive, useless twat.
Where's the million pound gone? you shyster. scratch

BRENT OUT

Skyrocket no question
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 1:53 pm

It's clear Carey is gone. Probably to another L1 club but one with a proper owner. On a brent 'budget' it will take a far bigger miracle by DA to keep Argo in L1 next season than it took to get out of L2.

WHERE'S THE MONEY GONE BRENT?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Anyone know the attendance for yesterday?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Well my spies in the Neukamp certainly saw what they expected and something they didn't expect.

First half, a carbon copy of the depressing defensive crap that masquerades as entertainment. No wonder Al headed back to Tivvy the pub at half time.
Second half, though, he brought on Blissett and basically played what any self respecting home team should do, 4-4-2 with Taylor feeding off the big guy. Two up front ! both scored. A Bannister and Warboys, a Mariner and Rafferty. It's not rocket science Del. It's supposed to be entertainment. Not too late for a young dog to learn new tricks.

Spending £23 quid odd plus sundry expenses demands some sort of entertainment. Regular viewing on a Saturday afternoon ISN'T just about results, it's a whole host of things. People can feel good about themselves just by tuning into the results at full time.
At least there may possibly now be seats back in the Mayflower to alleviate some of the depression staring fans in the face.
My long time Argyle compatriot was going to return to his normal season ticket next season. That first half changed his mind totally and he's decided to keep his brain firmly in his head.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:05 pm

akagreengull wrote:

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 pm

beesrus wrote:
Well my spies in the Neukamp certainly saw what they expected and something they didn't expect.

First half, a carbon copy of the depressing defensive crap that masquerades as entertainment. No wonder Al headed back to Tivvy the pub at half time.
Second half, though, he brought on Blissett and basically played what any self respecting home team should do, 4-4-2 with Taylor feeding off the big guy. Two up front ! both scored. A Bannister and Warboys, a Mariner and Rafferty. It's not rocket science Del. It's supposed to be entertainment. Not too late for a young dog to learn new tricks.

Spending £23 quid odd plus sundry expenses demands some sort of entertainment. Regular viewing on a Saturday afternoon ISN'T just about results, it's a whole host of things. People can feel good about themselves just by tuning into the results at full time.
At least there may possibly now be seats back in the Mayflower to alleviate some of the depression staring fans in the face.
My long time Argyle compatriot was going to return to his normal season ticket next season. That first half changed his mind totally and he's decided to keep his brain firmly in his head.

It IS all about results-If Argyle had a goal difference of 80-82 but were out of contention yesterday, you can be sure that the gate would have been nowhere near 13000. Just look at Stokes gates before and after Pulis took them into the premier league via binary football and long throws-for a small minority "entertainment" matters but not for the vast majority. Anyway, it isn't as simplistic as saying that playing two up front automatically changes things-Argyle played one up front against Newport and won 6-1,all of a fortnight ago. You and your mate may be romantics when it comes to football and good on you for that, but bet your bottom dollar that were Argyle to get promoted next season using similar methods then the average gate for the season would be a darned sight higher than 9000.Derek Adams wouldn't give a shit what you or anyone else thinks of his tactics and three promotions at a pretty early stage of his managerial career maybe would suggest that old dogs sometimes need to learn new tricks or at least new realities.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:58 pm

green_genie wrote:
akagreengull wrote:

So despite only a taxi full of Crewe fans in attendance nothing like a capacity then.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Greenskin wrote:
beesrus wrote:

It IS all about results-If Argyle had a goal difference of 80-82 but were out of contention yesterday, you can be sure that the gate would have been nowhere near 13000. Just look at Stokes gates before and after Pulis took them into the premier league via binary football and long throws-for a small minority "entertainment" matters but not for the vast majority. Anyway, it isn't as simplistic as saying that playing two up front automatically changes things-Argyle played one up front against Newport and won 6-1,all of a fortnight ago. You and your mate may be romantics when it comes to football and good on you for that, but bet your bottom dollar that were Argyle to get promoted next season using similar methods then the average gate for the season would be a darned sight higher than 9000.Derek Adams wouldn't give a shit what you or anyone else thinks of his tactics and three promotions at a pretty early stage of his managerial career maybe would suggest that old dogs sometimes need to learn new tricks or at least new realities.

No manager in reality gives a monkeys toss about what the fans or critics think of their tactics.
I thought fair play to Adams yesterday for ringing the changes at half time, we outplayed Crewe second half.
Bradley and blissed coming on made all the difference.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm

green_genie wrote:
akagreengull wrote:

Cheers guys, next question anyone know what the official max capacity is at the theatre of dreams right now?
Thought it was about 15k.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
IT IS all about results-If Argyle had a goal difference of 80-82 but were out of contention yesterday, you can be sure that the gate would have been nowhere near 13000. Just look at Stokes gates before and after Pulis took them into the premier league via binary football and long throws-for a small minority "entertainment" matters but not for the vast majority. Anyway, it isn't as simplistic as saying that playing two up front automatically changes things-Argyle played one up front against Newport and won 6-1,all of a fortnight ago. You and your mate may be romantics when it comes to football and good on you for that, but bet your bottom dollar that were Argyle to get promoted next season using similar methods then the average gate for the season would be a darned sight higher than 9000.Derek Adams wouldn't give a shit what you or anyone else thinks of his tactics and three promotions at a pretty early stage of his managerial career maybe would suggest that old dogs sometimes need to learn new tricks or at least new realities.

Very Happy Look Skinny, I think we've already established we hold differing opinions on the quality of a product.
I'm a romantic, yes, if I get your meaning right, but I am also a realist, the two are not mutually exclusive. Enjoy your race to the bottom. Stig of the dump. I'm told Tesco have bigger attendances than anyone in the country. Enjoy the fodder. Taste buds are easily dumbed down. You've forgotten what you're missing. Try another outlet for your pleasure, you old stick in the mud.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 pm

jabba the gut ecfc wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
One has to thank Exeter City for giving Argyle the chance to become Champions.

Cheers.

I have a sneaking suspicion you might pull it off.

Watching four games is is obviously patchy information, but from what I've seen you're a significantly better side than Doncaster - not least due to the fact that by fairly common consent you have the best player in the division. Maybe I've caught them on bad days, but the genius that is Coppinger apart I've been less impressed with their individual players than I have been with the likes of Carey, Bradley, and Threlkeld etc.

To be honest I've been deeply underwhelmed by them in general. Admittedly they beat us at SJP, but unusually even their own manager said it was a false result. By contrast I think we thoroughly deserved to beat them today.

I'm going to get dogs' abuse from the widely despised exeweb - apparently they slagged me at one point for being "a Plymouth fan" just because I post on here very occasionally. However despite past tongue-in-cheek jibes I'd have absolutely  no problem if you trumped Doncaster.

As I've argued here and elsewhere many times before (including on exeweb when I was stupid enough to waste my time posting on that pathetic lunatic asylum)  all three of us (e.g Torquay included) suffer from the perception in the football industry that Devon & Cornwall is the back of beyond. The more Devon clubs that do well and put themselves on the radar, the better off we all are. It may well turn out to be a very good thing for both of us that Torquay have got themselves out of jail.

I'd invite sceptics to consider a (probable fantasy) scenario where all three Devon clubs are battling each other in the Championship. It's surely self-evident that we would all benefit.

Strangely enough I bumped into a Torquay season-ticket holder at SJP a while back who goes to SJP and Home Park when the Turks are too far away for him to attend. Unprompted, he said exactly the same during the chat we had.

UTC! (Do I get banned for that?)

How do you think you will get on in the Play-Offs ?.

There are some good teams going for that route, I am glad Argyle have avoided them this season.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra   Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Home Game Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Crewe Alexandra
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2