Les Miserable
Freathy
PatDunne
Tgwu
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Excellent result for Adams. He must be pleased as punch tonight.
Only 8000 at the game. Very poor, but then maybe some fans have spent far too much time in Central Park this week queueing up. And then there is the cost of two trips and two tickets in one week.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:39 pm

beesrus wrote:
Only 8000 at the game. Very poor, but then maybe some fans have spent far too much time in Central Park this week queueing up. And then there is the cost of two trips and two tickets in one week.
The Sussex Tourist (absent again) complaining about shit support, but happily backing the Banker Bros, thirty five quid to sit out in the rain to watch Liverpools youth team? Argo treat the fans like shit and just expect them just to turn up, i'm amazed they got eight thousand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Freathy wrote:
Donny pull one back already while dog shit Argo continue to be battered.

You obviously weren't there.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Come on Freathy - your trolling used to be quite funny, but has degenerated to sweary silliness the more Argo win. You need to find that magic touch again. I know you can do it; form is temporary, but class is permanent.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:06 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
F...ing Hell, Goodwillie scored. Shock and horror Very Happy

Three points is three points and the win is just the tonic ahead of Wedneday.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
I'll be surprised if less than 10,000 here today

I won't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:09 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
beesrus wrote:
The Sussex Tourist (absent again) complaining about shit support, but happily backing the Banker Bros, thirty five quid to sit out in the rain to watch Liverpools youth team? Argo treat the fans like shit and just expect them just to turn up, i'm amazed they got eight thousand.

The fault lies with the club and it's recent past, not the fans. Probably a bit below 8000 Suffers when the usual 5 to 10% of St holders decided to give it a rest, but are still counted. The attendance is a money count, not a body count, so Ridsdalian.

The football has apparently not been the most entertaining and little has been done under Brent's time to foster a "all in it together" feel. The club calling fans liars this week is just the tip of the iceberg. If Argyle can beat Liverpool and go on a run, that might wake up a few, but a lot of damage needs to be overcome for regular attendance. Takes time to build a solid "club" after the misery of the last 8 or 9 years. Liverpool is a one off.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Stevenage were possibly the best side I've seen here this season. I predicted a defeat before the game based on their away form and our minds and souls being on Wednesday. Them going one up before my arse had hit my seat only served to emphasise my fears. But Argyle woke up as the half wore on and would  have deservedly gone in at half time in front but for a strange looking 30yarder at the other end.

Even at 3-2 the game had 3-3 written all over it a la Wycombe and McCormick was on top form smothering a one on one which was then looped over bar. Phew. Stevenage camped in our box for the last 10 mins before we broke to get the 4th.

Happy days. jocolor
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Goodwillie

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Good game today and both teams contributed to that, we were still at Anfield for their first goal, their second I think the wall not lined up correctly and maybe Luke a bit slow, having said that some of our play today was excellent, hard to pick MOM today, between Threlkeld, Carey, Slew and Jarvis for me.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm

There are plenty of people - fans, who will pay good money to sit on a wooden seat, use dreadful toilets, sit under leaks in the roof, clean pigeon crap off their seat at the start of the season, queue for 'refreshments' that seem to run out very often, etc, these fans will pay even more to do the same in L1 and pay a fortune should Argyle reach the promised land, however to answer Simons plea for more people to turn up, IMPROVE THE OFFER FIRST.......
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Graiser wrote:
Good game today and both teams contributed to that, we were still at Anfield for their first goal, their second I think the wall not lined up correctly and maybe Luke a bit slow, having said that some of our play today was excellent, hard to pick MOM today, between Threlkeld, Carey, Slew and Jarvis for me.

Encouraging to hear.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:28 pm

beesrus wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
beesrus wrote:

The fault lies with the club and it's recent past, not the fans.  Probably a bit below 8000 Suffers when the usual 5 to 10% of St holders decided to give it a rest, but are still counted. The attendance is a money count, not a body count, so Ridsdalian.  

The football has apparently not been the most entertaining and little has been done under Brent's time to foster a "all in it together" feel. The club calling fans liars this week is just the tip of the iceberg. If Argyle can beat Liverpool and go on a run, that might wake up a few, but a lot of damage needs to be overcome for regular attendance. Takes time to build a solid "club" after the misery of the last 8 or 9 years. Liverpool is a one off.
You are absolutely correct, the club will only grow when there is that all in it together feel, that requires investment from the club owners in the playing squad, when the manager claims the club are punching above its weight in the fourth division because of the budget, you know its the same old Brenty Bullshit, and yet more home games against Stevanage, next season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:33 pm

We were asleep for the first 10 minutes of the game but when we woke up we were in the zone. Slew and especially Jervis were awesome on the wings and deserved their goals however i would have said Slew's was an Own goal personally but thats not important. Not alot the team could have done about stevenage's second as it was a well taken freekick. Garrita's goal i thought should have been Carey's from my angle so i'm interested to see that on the highlights later. McCormick made a fantastic save near the end when it looked as if Stevenage were going to make it 3-3 and Goodwillie has finally scored a goal :O took his sweet time about hitting it but a goal eventually came and about time too hopefully now he can score again and find his flow. Smith's injury looked bad so i wont be shocked if he is out for Wednesday which may mean Songo'o going back into the midfield where i think he is far better playing in and Bulvitis returning to the defence.

8000+ at the game which disappointed me slightly although i wasn't devastated though but ii thought more would have come today given the replay on wednesday but i remembered Albion are also at home and no one gives a shit about Stevenage.

good win keeps doncaster in our sights with a game in hand that if we win puts us back on top of the league Smile
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Angry wrote:
We were asleep for the first 10 minutes of the game but when we woke up we were in the zone. Slew and especially Jervis were awesome on the wings and deserved their goals however i would have said Slew's was an Own goal personally but thats not important. Not alot the team could have done about stevenage's second as it was a well taken freekick. Garrita's goal i thought should have been Carey's from my angle so i'm interested to see that on the highlights later. McCormick made a fantastic save near the end when it looked as if Stevenage were going to make it 3-3 and Goodwillie has finally scored a goal :O took his sweet time about hitting it but a goal eventually came and about time too hopefully now he can score again and find his flow. Smith's injury looked bad so i wont be shocked if he is out for Wednesday which may mean Songo'o going back into the midfield where i think he is far better playing in and Bulvitis returning to the defence.

8000+ at the game which disappointed me slightly although i wasn't devastated though but ii thought more would have come today given the replay on wednesday but i remembered Albion are also at home and no one gives a shit about Stevenage.

good win keeps doncaster in our sights with a game in hand that if we win puts us back on top of the league Smile

jocolor jocolor jocolor
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm

MikeWN wrote:
Come on Freathy - your trolling used to be quite funny,  but has degenerated to sweary silliness the more Argo win. You need to find that magic touch again. I know you can do it; form is temporary, but class is permanent.

This is very true. Freathy fan though I am, all he's doing ATM is nullifying the generally sound views that he has on matters Argyle-classic boy who cried wolf too many times.

Anyway, crackerjack of a game today against a fluent and free scoring Stevenage team who also tend to concede a lot of goals-I guess you could say the scoreline absolutely reflected their strengths and weaknesses. A daft free kick and bad marking led to a nightmare start for Argyle but with Carey taking on a free role and giving a bit of a virtuoso performance in midfield, chances were being created and Slew and Jervis [good finish] put them ahead before yet another free kick put Stevenage on terms-not sure if it took a deflection but McCormick seemed to be wrong footed. Second half was more of the same, Argyle hit the bar before Garita deflected a powerful shot into the net-very surprised when Garita went off and IMHO Del got away with one today because the ball continually came back at Argyle from that moment on. Stevenage crashed a shot against the bar and McCormick somehow turned the rebound shot around the post, living dangerously but Goodwillie justified Adams decision by slotting home the clincher. Quite a contrast to the game at Anfield, both sides had enough chances/efforts to win three games in this one and some great football played, very enjoyable and all the better for not turning into another Wycombe.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 pm

It was the final game for Tanner and Garita today, was it not ?.

Would be nice to extend the loan of Tanner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

VillageGreen wrote:

We have made £1.2m in unbudgeted income since the last window shut. surely we can sign him on a perm deal.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Good to hear they're playing well now we're into the business end of the season, even with the obvious distractions & in spite of the grasping majority shareholder. Please don't feck it up this time around Smile
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

We have made £1.2m in unbudgeted income since the last window shut. surely we can sign him on a perm deal.

Good point, can't see it happening though.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:30 pm

I just don't think this team is anywhere good enough for promotion. Without significant strengthening we'll finish in the play-offs or worse. DA is a quality manager and has worked miracles but at the end of the day the players just aren't good enough. Doncaster, Pompey, Luton, Carlisle, Wycombe, Exeter, and Grimsby are all teams with better players and by May will all be above Argo if we don't significantly strengthen this window. But brent has already said none of the FA cup money is available to DA. This season will not end well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 pm

I expect a surprise token 50K extra from the windfall, for Adams to "secure" promotion.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm

It was a funny old game but no less entertaining for that.

Stevenage's two goals both came from set pieces that we conceded due to silly challenges. The first was the old cross to the back stick, they won the header, chaos. Scruffily into the net. Sturrock's mob scored loads like it. The second was a free kick from distance that beat the wall, bounced in front of Luke, and went in. Luke should have stopped it in all honesty. He seemed to injure a finger moments before though... maybe his old trouble was bothering him?

Jervis, Goodwillie, Slew and Garita all scored. One for each of our strikers!

In truth Garita knew ittle about his as a goalbound shot from Carey hit him on the way into the net as he stood almost on the goalline. Definite hint of offside about it.

All sorts of mayhem for Slew's goal. Might have crossed the line a couple of times and might even have been an own goal in the end.

Jervis's goal was one of those he bundles in somehow from close-in. Very reminiscent of Marino Keith. They seem to share the same knack.

Goodwillie's goal came as a result of a thunderous Smith tackle that saw him leave us with 10 men afterwards. Two players dived right in and either might have been red carded but the ref waved play on. A couple of slick passes followed until the ball found Goodwillie in space close in. He calmly took his time and then slotted in via a deflection. Whatever else his qualities might be he definitely possesses a calm mind.

The best move of the match saw Jervis fire too high - he might have hit the bar. Slew skied one too when he really should have scored.

Bradley was hobbling at the end.

Blissett looked OK. Tall. strong. Light on his feet. Wasn't on long but impressed in all he did. Early days yet but he didn't look out of place.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 3:39 am

Startled by the lack of attendance really am. Perhaps I shouldn't be
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 7:46 am

I was better with the gate then the score

Team

Oscar Threlkeld is expected to deputise for Miller. The Pilgrims could give debuts to new signings Jakub Sokolik and Nathan Blissett after both were cup-tied for the FA Cup match. Blissett, nephew of former England international Luther Blissett, will offer another striking option.

I am going for a 2-nil win to Argyle

GATE I am going for 7,859
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread   Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Stevenage matchday thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next