The ONLY Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

AFT Chairman’s Update # 14

Go down 
AuthorMessage
argyledad

PostSubject: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 pm

At it’s meeting last Saturday the AFT Board discussed the merits of the new English Football League Trophy, or Checkatrade Trophy as it has since been called. It is our unanimous view that this reinvention of what was the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. We believe the competition to be inherently flawed for the following reasons:

• In its previous incarnations as the Freight Rover, Sherpa Van, Leyland DAF, Auto Windscreens and LDV Vans Trophy the early rounds have been very poorly attended. The logic in changing these early rounds into Group Matches makes no sense.
  • The idea of the competition being regionalised in the group stages does not hold water with Argyle drawn against two Welsh clubs and a London team.
  • The involvement of academy teams could be seen as a precedent being set for allowing Premiership second teams into the football League structure, which is their intention. It is interesting to note though that some top clubs such as Manchester United have chosen not to take part.
  • One of the main planks of this Trophy was that it gave the little team a chance to enjoy its day at Wembley. The introduction of Premiership teams can only reduce that opportunity.
  • Lower league teams will now have to play more games, but will not be allowed to rotate their squads, even if their pool of players is large enough. This comes against the backdrop of a suggested new five division structure for the Football League, which uses the argument that we are already playing too many games.

While the AFT is not necessarily advocating a boycott of these matches, we have little faith in its current format. There are only so many times you can try and breathe life into a dying entity. If this latest embodiment of the Trophy is not successful, perhaps it is time to let it wither on the vine?
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Are you able to let us know when the AFT will be meeting to discuss The Watney Cup at all?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:14 pm

I personally think it should have been left alone.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid
Back to top Go down
Frank Bullitt

PostSubject: Re: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:02 pm

I suppose advocating a boycott of the crapacrap trophy would have been a bit too radical for the AFT. But I am glad they have come to the same conclusions that the rest of the lower league fans came to 3 months ago.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 pm

What is the point of coming out with this now?

If anything should be left to 'wither on the vine' it's the AFT in it's present guise.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFT Chairman’s Update # 14    

Back to top Go down

AFT Chairman’s Update # 14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: Argyle Fans' Trust-
Jump to: