Argyle Talk Democratic

The ONLY Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

HS2

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 am

Has transport "experts" baffled appaza, well I'm not feckin surpirised. The think tank suggests that 240mph is just vanity so we can have faster trains than Europe even though we're much smaller. By the time it gets to speed it will be time to slow down and we need to make transport in the North better not transport to the North better. And it's very polluting, oh, and it's extremely overpriced costing much more than the French TVG system. £53bn in these times of austerity are they having a feckin larf?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36376837
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 am

At that speed I wouldn't want to be on the fcuker when it inevitably crashes. Brent out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 9:44 am

I would maybe support it if it ran from say Dover to Glasgow with stops in major cities along the route. Also There should be plans to link the south west to it via Bristol, this is just for the suits the get from London to the "Northern powerhouse" a bit quicker. It's so elitist it's untrue, I wonder if any of us will ever use it?
Back to top Go down
Hugh Watt

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Amsterdamage wrote:
I would maybe support it if it ran from say Dover to Glasgow with stops in major cities along the route. Also There should be plans to link the south west to it via Bristol, this is just for the suits the get from London to the "Northern powerhouse" a bit quicker. It's so elitist it's untrue, I wonder if any of us will ever use it?

A bit like the M6 toll. Has anyone ever had to use it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 10:59 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Amsterdamage wrote:

A bit like the M6 toll. Has anyone ever had to use it?
It cost me £3 the one time I had to use it and probably shaved 3 hours off my journey time back to Plymouth - the M6 was nose to tail for miles at the time. I'm no fan of private roads but on that one occasion I was happy to be a hypocrite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 1:02 pm

M6 toll is a godsend for truckers. Ok, a few quid but time and money and fuel saved is well worth it. It certainly beats queueing from Stafford to West Bromwich for hours on a Monday morning just to get back on the M5.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Watt

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Popcorn Pig wrote:
M6 toll is a godsend for truckers. Ok, a few quid but time and money and fuel saved is well worth it. It certainly beats queueing from Stafford to West Bromwich for hours on a Monday morning just to get back on the M5.

Isn't that cancelled out by being re-routed an additional 20 or 30 miles and the fact the M42 is pretty shit as well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Popcorn Pig wrote:

Isn't that cancelled out by being re-routed an additional 20 or 30 miles and the fact the M42 is pretty shit as well?

Ummm, the 42 is hit and miss, especially the time of day I'm usually on it. But you're right Hugh, the 42 CAN be a barsteward too, but generally it's ok once past Solihull. At least I can usually keep rolling, and that in itself saves a lot of fuel, considering I'm fully frighted at all times, i,e 44 tonnes, plus driving time savings on my tacho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 5:31 pm

HS2 is nothing but an executive class and line manager expenses indulgence and a headline investment propaganda that could be spent so much more productively somewhere else. They really are the only ones that could afford to use it. How so many ordinary people can possibly agree to such publicexpenditure, that is then eventually given away to some Baron at virtually no cost, is beyond me. Well it's not beyond me actually. They're just timid and will swallow anything said by those above them in the pecking order.
Sort of a Rollo mentality, too worried about standing out.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 10:12 pm

£53 billion FFS !! Is the government paying for this or is private investment involved ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 pm

No well pay for it then it will be gifted to a private company to run it efficiently for their own benefit (and their sponsors).
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 am

The problem with HS2 isn't so much the cost or how it is paid for but the same problem almost every railway line ever built has had to overcome: NIMBYism. Nobody ever wants a railway line to go through their garden or village etc.

You only have to look at our railway infrastructure and road network to see that something needs to be done and it needs to be big and it needs to be radical because we have far too many people/vehicles making far too many journeys for what we have to cope.

As a matter of some urgency we need to do something.

I'm not naturally inclined to look back for solutions but in the olden days most people lived and worked in a very narrowly defined geographical area and that is no longer the case. If you look at Plymouth's major historical employer, the Dockyard/RN, then whole "estates" were built (Keyham etc) to house those who worked there. Even relatively recently when Estover was built there was housing to go alongside the industrial estate. In other areas philanthropists built whole towns and suburbs to house the workers they needed to employ but these days things are so fragmented and it is rare that somebody works within walking distance of where they live.

And the situation has reached abusrdity in the south east with millions of people commuting millions of miles every day.

So either we need a national network of HS2ing (or similar), masses of new motorways or we need to reconnect living and working spaces in some other way.

Probably the best, most efficient solution would be for people to work at home... After all we're nearly all webbed up these days and we can network a home PC remotely into a work network, we could video conference... Do businesses really need to maintain the central hub destination in the way they traditionally always have?

Obviously it depends on the nature of the business concerned but surely a huge number of the routine daily journeys being made are not completely essential?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am

I'd agree with that, there's someone I know who lives in Andover and works in the middle of London, he describes Andover (previously a garrison town) as the London commuter belt!
The only person I know who is affected by the line is pretty wealthy now and they do a lot of business overseas, they live this side of Brum near the railway line so he can commute to the north or London and airports easily. He's going to be living in sight and sound of HS2, doesn't qualify for any compensation as he's just outside the limit and he's now going to have to travel 40 minutes to Birmingham to get on the fecker!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 9:53 am

The daft thing is that commuter miles, in the SE especially, are likely to grow. The massive expense of living in central London means that anybody with a normal job can't hope to live in a normal house or flat.

It's a prime example of how the free market does not work and reminiscent of the telephone sanitizers set adrift in outer space in one of the Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy books: eventually the population of the planet they were ejected from was wiped out by a disease contracted from a dirty phone... We need all the seemingly pointless, insignificant jobs done every bit as much as we need the high falutin' ones done: there has to be balance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

And all the low paid workers are being socially cleansed from London so rich foreigners and yuppies can enjoy the cafe culture.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 10:32 am

Exactly that sort of thing. The obvious problem being that there'll be nobody to make the coffee in the end.

Which reminds me of this:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HS2   Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 am

They will build a load of tower blocks on the marshes with a tube link (called LS1) to get the scum into the smoke to clean the scum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HS2   

Back to top Go down

HS2
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: